X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichardAlan
    • Jul 2008

Dedicated IPs. How many do I need?

I'm considering using a VPS host. I'm looking into the following:

As far as I can tell they are all resellers that use softlayer for the their servers.

First I would like to know has anyone any experience with these companies.

Another questions. There's options for more than one dedicated IP. I am used to using shared hosting where I give the name of my hosts nameserver when I register a domain. But how is this handled when I use a VPS? Is there a need for me to set up a nameserver? Do I need more than one IP.

Sorry for the newbie questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Retirement Chat
    http://www.retirement-forums.org
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

Actually only zipservers uses servers from softlayer from your list. You will need two IP addresses to set up nameservers and you can use these IPs to host sites too.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• RichardAlan
      • Jul 2008

That's very odd because when I contacted softlayer and asked about vps they recommended me the four that I listed above.

I guess I have a lot of questions. Another question is after I get a vps how do I go about installing software such as apache, php, mysql and vbulletin? I am used to installing these on a system with a gui but won't it just be command like access if I have a VPS?
      Retirement Chat

Comment

• royo
        • Jan 2005
        • 3.7.x

It will be just command line. Your best bet is to get a managed VPS with cPanel/WHM which will provide you with a nice visual control panel to manage most things, and the host will take care of the backend stuff.

SL recommended them because they are all pretty good, but trust me, they're not all hosted with them.
        Oppressed.

Comment

• RichardAlan
          • Jul 2008

Thanks for your help and advice. I'll check out all of the ones above. Seems like there are plenty others out there but I guess I could spend a lifetime just checking and looking for the best. Might as well sign up with someone and get with running my forum.

Richard
          Retirement Chat

Comment

• alemcherry
            • Jun 2006

VPS will come with PHP+Apache etc. pre installed. If you select a control panel like cpanel/plesk, you can be assured that you get all software pre-installed. Of course, you will ahve to install VB your self.

You may or may not have to run a DNS server depending on the company you choose to go with.

If you are totally new to managing a server, you can either go for a managed VPS or get external support. If you want to choose a managed VPS, consider liquidweb. They are well known for friendly customer support.
            Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...