Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AkatsukiX
    • Aug 2008

Vbulletin in Dreamhost

I currently on Dreamhost. I heard about problems with Vbulletin with Dreamhost. Does anybody here run a Vbulletin forum on Vbulletin? Can you tell me your experience? There's about 107 members in the forum and some of those user's aren't that active.

Thank You
  • Andy Huang
    • Feb 2004

I have a forum on there right now, things generally works, but a few things I can tell you:
    1) Their ioncube is messed up. If you are ever planning to run any ioncube encoded stuff as addons to your forum, then prepare to move away, because I've tried everything, including custom compiling php... it just doesn't work. Any test script will tell you your host is fine, but when you actually try to deploy any ioncube encoded script, it will complain that you lack support.
    2) Like all shared hosting that are oversold, you will more than likely receive database errors at around midnight, when every client's crontab are hammering away on the database... whose idea is it to run everything at midnight anyways?
    3) Procwatch on dreamhost is pretty nasty. If you're using too much cpu resources for the day (they don't define in tos/aup how much), you will find yourself in a race condition like situation, where if your script doesn't complete before the procwatch comes around, you will find very strange behaviours with your script -- this is with any script, not limited to vBulletin. I've seen script execute in non-linear fashion before it gets terminated by procwatch, for example.

Aside from that, things generally work for the most part from my experience. Though, this could change at any time, at their discretion.

Also, for what its worth, you're currently not setup properly for support. Please be sure to enter your email address into the priority support form in the member's area, so you show up as licensed and can post in the proper support areas.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

• alemcherry
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Andy Huang
      , because I've tried everything, including custom compiling php...
      How did you managed to do that on a shared host? Is it really possible to compile PHP for each user on a shared host?
      Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...