Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaxel
    • Jun 2006

What constitutes a small/large forum?

Currently I am trying to find a hosting solution for a forum I am running. Right now its running vB 2.3.5 and we will probably be upgrading to 3.7+ when we move to a new host. I see lots of posts about hosts supporting "small" or "large forums. What is small and large?

Right now, there are 200 people browsing our forums, with something like 10,000 members active within the past two years. Would we be a large forum? Or a small forum? As well, what kind of hosting plan should I be looking into... Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Jaxel; Tue 5 Aug '08, 11:08am.
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

Depending on your budget, you might want to try and squeeze into a VPS, so you have room to grow in the future without needing to migrate. Depending on how many mods/hacks you have and how image heavy the site is, you could also stay with shared.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• choppers4life
      • Aug 2004
      • 3.6.x

How many new threads/post a day are you getting? Any hacks? Are you planning on adding more when you upgrade to 3.7?

Comment

• Jaxel
        • Jun 2006

Well I know I would definately want a VPS... Right now I couldnt really tell you how many new posts we get a day, as it fluctuates a lot. With the 3.7 version, we are looking to add a large number of hacks to it to create more of a community, instead of just a forum... So how good of a VPS would we need?

Like I said... 300 people online at the current moment... I was looking into a $50 VPS at asmallorange.com, but I'm starting to hear back things about their VPS solutions. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

We plan on setting up a "subscription" service, so people can donate for server costs, and right now we have a large number of people willing to do so.

Comment

• Jaxel
          • Jun 2006

So does anyone have any recommendations for a VPS solution that would fit our needs?

Comment

• choppers4life
            • Aug 2004
            • 3.6.x

Go here and check for reviews.

Comment

• Jaxel
              • Jun 2006

The problem is, there is too much content on that website... Would it at all be possible for someone to perhaps just list 3 choices for me? So that I know where to start?

Comment

• choppers4life
                • Aug 2004
                • 3.6.x

JaguarPC is an industry leading provider of virtual private server (VPS hosting) and fully managed dedicated servers since 1998.

or
                Managed Web Hosting on Ultra-Fast Servers - State of the Art Hardware - 24/7 Tech Support. Affordable and Simply the Best Website Hosting on the planet!

Both are good.

Comment

• Jaxel
                  • Jun 2006

Okay... I looked into those two hosts at webhostingtalk.com, and I think I'll be choosing Knownhost over JaguarPC...

However, looking at Knownhost, they really have two different colocation centers... one for "double bandwidth" and one for "premium bandwidth". What is the difference? Which one would be better for hosting a vBulletin?

Comment

• choppers4life
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 3.6.x

You would have to contact them to see what the difference is.

Comment

• express
                      • Apr 2001
                      • 3.6.x

one for "double bandwidth" and one for "premium bandwidth".
                      More than likely double would be a cheaper bandwidth and the premium most costly yet more stable.

Joey
                      Real Web Host

Comment

• lostguy
                        • Mar 2008

I think u need dedicated server then VPS because you growing and i believe after u upgrade to vb 3.7 and add new add-ons will be more use .

I believe your bugget have to be 100 to 150 per month .

VPS normally will cost 50 to 80 per month .

Comment

• alemcherry
                          • Jun 2006

If you are lookign for VPS suggestions, I would recommend Liquidweb or Serverpoint. Both provide excellent support.

Also make sure that you choose a good configuration (Atleast 512 mb assured RAM) . Your site is not really small with 200 members online at a time.
                          Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...