vBulletin Installation on Yahoo WebHost: Help!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chessking21
    • Jul 2008

vBulletin Installation on Yahoo WebHost: Help!!

I purchased the vBulletin software two days ago and attempted to install it on my Yahoo Webhost last night to no avail. I am a web designer/developer but I'm primarily focused on the front-end rather than databases, php, and mysql.

After running the installation script, I get stuck on step 2 (connecting to the database), which reads:
    Attempting to attach to database
    Error description: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (46) /forums/includes/class_core.php on line 311
    The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the 'includes/config.php' file.
    Are there special instructions for installing vBulletin on using Yahoo as a webhost?
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

Are you sure you configured your settings properly in the config.php file? You need to make sure you have the right database address, name, username, userpassword and that the user and pass are assigned with full rights to the database you are trying to use.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• chessking21
      • Jul 2008

No, i'm not sure I put them in properly. I think i may have my username in Yahoo not having all rights, and when trying to attempt to give it all access rights, it will then say "Access Denied".

Comment

• choppers4life
        • Aug 2004
        • 3.6.x

You should find real host. Yahoo is one of the worst I have seen.

Comment

• chessking21
          • Jul 2008

Well, I've used Yahoo in the past for several projects and I've never had any problems with them.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

The mysql server, is mysql, not localhost.

Comment

• chessking21
              • Jul 2008

Thanks Zachary, I changed this in the config file as well to no avail. I'll try it again tonight.

Comment

• express
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.6.x

Make sure you actually create a database first, attach a database username with the password for that database user. Then go to the config file and place that database name, username, and username password in the config file. Also make sure the config file is named config.php and not config.php.new

Joey

Note: As your forum grows you may need to find a different host to handle the messageboard. That will really depend on the amount of websites you are sharing the resources with. "CPU, RAM, & Hard Drive IO".
                Real Web Host

Comment

• beishe8
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by chessking21
                  Well, I've used Yahoo in the past for several projects and I've never had any problems with them.
                  I have.
                  Could not upgrade to 3.7
                  Cannot backup some of my databases with phpmyadmin,and cannot backup the whole lot in one hit.

Yahoo is great for static files.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...