• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • technopuzzle
    • Apr 2008
    • 3.6.x

Hosting Recomendation - Maybe

Hi,

I have a client who uses a VB forum. She used to be on one of those cheap shared linux providers and had horrible forum response, slowness, timeouts, etc.

She has since switched to a dedicated server (at the advice of the sites previous webmaster) and at a rate of around $200.00 a month. I have now taken over and think that a dedicated server may be too much just to run her forum and Joomla! website and shop.

Not to mention that she is now having money problems since she is paying $200.00 a month for the dedicated server, plus my fee's, plus the fee's of 2 other support personnel. I've lowered my fee's as much as I can and this is a client that I really like and would like to keep.

Can someone give some advice and opinions on this please. Here forum stats are:

Threads: 18,034
    Members: 3,174
    Active Members: 462
    Record online users: 58

If there are some other stats or information that I can give that would help with the advice and opinions please let me know.

Does this client really need a dedicated server? Or could she use a VPS, reseller or shared hosting account on a reliable hosting provider?

TIA!
    Roger
  • Hayk
    • Sep 2007
    • 5.2.x

I think good shared is really enough for her site (Hostgator for example). Though if she wants to spend money, move site to a VPS as maximum Try hostforweb for VPS. They have good support and very reliable service (price $39.95 - $99.95)
    vBProjects - Professional vBulletin Services and Solutions
    vBSpring - Premium vBulletin Add-ons

Comment

• Freezerator
      • May 2002
      • 3.6.x

Where are you located?

I also think she can find something much cheaper but what is still good and reliable.
      Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

• royo
        • Jan 2005
        • 3.7.x

Good shared and HostGator don't really belong in the same sentence. If you are having problems on a dedicated server, going down will generally not stop your problems, since you are running more than just a forum on it. The problem might be bad choice of hardware and no optimizations done to Apache/MySQL.
        Oppressed.

Comment

• Hayk
          • Sep 2007
          • 5.2.x

Originally posted by royo
          Good shared and HostGator don't really belong in the same sentence.
          There are many opinions

If you are having problems on a dedicated server, going down will generally not stop your problems, since you are running more than just a forum on it. The problem might be bad choice of hardware and no optimizations done to Apache/MySQL.
          As I understand, they have not any problem with dedicated server, they just want to have a host cheaper

Comment

• royo
            • Jan 2005
            • 3.7.x

I don't know where I've read slow in that whole thing . Still, I'd go for a VPS under the 100$ mark, since it gives you room to grow and you won't have to keep moving from shared to VPS and then back to a dedicated when you grow.
            Oppressed.

Comment

• Hayk
              • Sep 2007
              • 5.2.x

Ok, I' sorry. They have problems.

Originally posted by technopuzzle
              Not to mention that she is now having money problems since she is paying $200.00 a month for the dedicated server, plus my fee's, plus the fee's of 2 other support personnel. I've lowered my fee's as much as I can and this is a client that I really like and would like to keep.
              Still, I'd go for a VPS under the 100$ mark, since it gives you room to grow and you won't have to keep moving from shared to VPS and then back to a dedicated when you grow.
              Agree

Comment

• beishe8
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Philosopher
                I think good shared is really enough for her site (Hostgator for example).
                The forum and nothing else on that site.
                I have setup Gallery,a backup of Gallery and received an email that I'm over my 50K inodes limit.

Though if she wants to spend money, move site to a VPS as maximum Try hostforweb for VPS. They have good support and very reliable service (price $39.95 - $99.95)
                Do they have mysql 5 ?
                On their shared hosting I saw
                MYSQL Server 4.1.X

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Hayk
                  • Sep 2007
                  • 5.2.x

Originally posted by beishe8
                  The forum and nothing else on that site.
                  I have setup Gallery,a backup of Gallery and received an email that I'm over my 50K inodes limit.
                  That's why I will suggest VPS

Originally posted by beishe8
                  Do they have mysql 5 ?
                  On their shared hosting I saw
                  Yes. They are installing it for you. MySQL version 5.0.51a-community

Comment

• artherd
                    • May 2008

A very good shared, or very good VPS should likely be sufficient. Choose wisely.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...