X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim O
    • Apr 2006
    • 3.6.x

What would you want in a VPS???

I'm curious as to what people look for in a low cost VPS. I'm considering setting up a dedicated server using OpenVZ and want to gauge feasibility (not interest - I'm not looking for business here, just ideas!). These would be relatively though not completely unmanaged so you would need to know how to maintain it yourself. Of course there would be backup to restore lockouts and to reboot, and support for major disasters including system restores. The hardware I am looking at is a dual Xeon with 4-8 GB of RAM (depending on the needs of the containers on the server) and mirorred hard drives.

Take the case of a small to medium sized vBulletin forum with maybe a few static sites that you might host. How much disk space/RAM (dedicated and burst)/bandwidth would you be looking for at the $15-20 price point? That would be my target market as I read here about so many people fed up with shared hosting or getting kicked for using too much resources.
    World War Two Zone

JLK Hosting - non-oversold Virtuozzo VPS solutions - specializing in vBulletin and nginx hosting
  • eUKhost.com
    • Aug 2007

OpenVZ is basically a testing version of Virtuozzo that swsoft release to the public. It doesn't have as many features (such as advanced resource management) and doesn't have the Power Panel (which allows you to backup, restore, repair, reinstall, reboot). SW-Soft don't provide support for it so if you get an advanced problem.
    Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
    Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

• Jim O
      • Apr 2006
      • 3.6.x

I understand what OpenVZ is. I wouldn't have asked the questions if I hadn't done my homework.

I'm sorry that you felt the need to sully the thread with a first response that was off topic. I asked people what they would want, not for a pseudo-technical explanation.

But, for the record, a lot of the functionality that you mention is missing (backup, restore, repair, reinstall, reboot) is present in HyperVM and users would have access to Hostinabox or other control panels such as Plesk and cPanel. I'm testing the configuration now on a machine at home and so far things look promising. Taking it live would be the next step, but only if it's feasible financially. The reason that I have chosen OpenVZ is that it is open source and free, and HyperVM/Hostinabox are inexpensive. I want to make this cost effective. I might not recommend them for someone whose major livelihood depends on their server, but rather for the majority of us who manage forums for fun, because the subject matter is of great interest to us.

I see the links in your signature. I hope that you don't feel threatened by a guy who wants to set up one or maybe two boxes (one for OpenVZ and one for Xen if the first one goes well). This isn't what I do for a living and never will be. I make far too much money doing other things. I'm more interested in developing an environment with a target audience of vBulletin users, some of whom can emulate my (hopeful) success at it and thereby rid ourselves of the big hosts that offer "shared" hosting that sucks.

Thanks for your input.
      World War Two Zone

JLK Hosting - non-oversold Virtuozzo VPS solutions - specializing in vBulletin and nginx hosting

Comment

• royo
        • Jan 2005
        • 3.7.x

There are already lots of competitors, so it will be pretty hard to get your product to them, but it's worth a try. A server with some of the specs you mentioned can be quite expensive, especially if you plan to put it on a quality network. You would also need to keep everything secure and help your customer's optimize their VPS, since over 80% of VPS users are inexperienced or don't know how to mess with anything other than a control panel.
        Oppressed.

Comment

• Jim O
          • Apr 2006
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by royo
          There are already lots of competitors, so it will be pretty hard to get your product to them, but it's worth a try. A server with some of the specs you mentioned can be quite expensive, especially if you plan to put it on a quality network. You would also need to keep everything secure and help your customer's optimize their VPS, since over 80% of VPS users are inexperienced or don't know how to mess with anything other than a control panel.
          I know. I'm pricing them out now. I'll probably go with Softlayer. I'm figuring with 4 GB of RAM and without overselling, I can theoretically get 32 128MB dedicated RAM VPS's and allow generous bursts. I currently host several vBulletin forums on my VPS, the busiest of which has about 10K members, 500 online at a time (15 minute cookie IIRC) and about 250K posts after two years, currently averaging 500-600 posts per day. The others are smaller. My forum averages about 100-125 online and about 200 posts/day. There are a couple of smaller ones as well, an ad server, two WordPress installs (one mu), two RealChat servers, and about 25 static sites. With all of that we are using about 400-425MB of RAM most of the time.

On a VPS with lighttpd and fastcgi you can get a lot of mileage out of 128MB of RAM. Of course if you need mod_rewrite then you'll need to do some tweaking.
          World War Two Zone

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...