• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siutao
    • Apr 2008
    • 3.6.x

The right VPS for me ?

Hello,

I just moved from Phpbb to VBulletin. After the move, I realised my traffic increased (Because of VBulletin?). So I got error (I'm on shared hosting). The error related to max mysql connections, overlimit.

Then I think it is my time to move to VPS.

I look for starter VPS and spotted with the following specifications:

Min RAM: 128MB
    Burst RAM: 512MB
    Disk Space: 7GB
    Bandwith: 125GB

My site have VBulletin as follow:
    Total posting: Around 27000 posts.
    Total user: Around 7800 users.
    Database size: 35MB (The size is 60MB with Phpbb, it is also mean VBulletin have more efficient database structure than Phpbb?)
    Beside the VBulletin, other area of my site is just plain html.

So I would like to ask for advice, is it the VPS good enough for me?

Please advice.

Thank you.
  • royo
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.7.x

Sounds like a good vps, but just a tip: never trust burst RAM, as it is mostly used for advertising and chances are you will never be able to use even half of it. If you are using any control panel, 128 ram will not be enough to sustain it too.
    Oppressed.

Comment

• Chase
      • Apr 2002
      • 3.6.x

Honestly, I don't think you need a VPS. Can I see your forum?

Comment

• Hossie
        • Jun 2005
        • 3.6.x

Not enough. Only count on your real RAM. 128MB is not much. I have 384 and sometimes run into problems. Also depends on what else is running, I suppose postfix and courier are running too? If so, get more. If not, at least consider a bit more. Also try not to forget to tune your programs. For example, if you disable InnoDB Storage Engine in my.cnf you get 10-15 MB more free RAM.

Comment

• siutao
          • Apr 2008
          • 3.6.x

Thank you for all your help.

I just go with ServInt.
          My forum: SiuTao Community Forums.

As soon as I moved, I realized that my forum is too quite for VPS box. It only take 15-20% memory usage (Control panel included).

Before ServInt, I try Knownhost with their 128MB VPS plan, but the memory usage always close to 100% (Sometime break 100% and took the burst RAM I think). I think the control panel took it.

So I have dilemma, if I go with 128MB VPS and the memory usage is almost full al the time, but when I get higher plan, it just take 15-20%.

May I know your advice about this (especially to save my money) ?

Please advice.

Thank you
          Last edited by siutao; Sat 26 Apr '08, 6:19pm. Reason: Add more info

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...