X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subnet_rx
    • Dec 2004
    • 3.5.x

Suggestions for a forum currently on VPS

I run a forum that is currently on a VPS with 512mb. From what I can tell, I only use 40-60% of this at any one time. I'm looking at upgrading though, since it frequently (2-3 times a week) shuts down httpd due to low resources. The forum also seems to run slow.

My forum stats are 400 active members, 40-60 active users on at any one time (20-30 members and the rest guests), 400,000 posts, and about 1,000 posts per day. I also have many of the most popular addons.

What should I be looking for to upgrade?
  • David M.
    • Aug 2007

I run on Media Temple and it works fine for me. I would suggest their Grid Server package and it costs about $20 a month.

Comment

• subnet_rx
      • Dec 2004
      • 3.5.x

That definitely looks interesting, but it'd be hard to believe that I could go from $70 a month to $20 a month and get better service.

Comment

• class101
        • Sep 2007
        • 3.6.x

Looks like you need softlayer, I have read lots of good reviews about them from webmaster owners of big boards like yours or bigger. I think you should move to a dedicated servers with 1000 posts a day, your ads revenues should easly handle a 150$/Mo server
        security community

Comment

• eUKhost.com
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by subnet_rx
          I run a forum that is currently on a VPS with 512mb. From what I can tell, I only use 40-60% of this at any one time. I'm looking at upgrading though, since it frequently (2-3 times a week) shuts down httpd due to low resources. The forum also seems to run slow.

My forum stats are 400 active members, 40-60 active users on at any one time (20-30 members and the rest guests), 400,000 posts, and about 1,000 posts per day. I also have many of the most popular addons.

What should I be looking for to upgrade?
          It also depends on the sites set up on your VPS node. However, if you are looking to upgrade then Dedicated Server would be an ideal solution.
          Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
          Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

• subnet_rx
            • Dec 2004
            • 3.5.x

I'm currently paying $70 a month, and I could move to something in the $90-$100 range. I can't find much in that range though that also come with cPanel. I fail to see why cPanel is an extra $25 a month in addition to a $90 a month server when cPanel is free on most hosting accounts. Not to mention that network backup is even more. To get the same thing that I have now (cpanel/WHM, network backups, server support), it goes from my $70 to around $130 a month.

Comment

• yogesh
              • May 2005

Try adding more RAM and optimizing your VPS configuration as a short term solution if you can't find a suitable server in your budget.

Comment

• express
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.6.x

Should be able to find a suitable amd 4200 or dual 3800 for around 130.00, that will take care of your issues with the ram.
                Real Web Host

Comment

• alemcherry
                  • Jun 2006

VPS with 512 mb ram is more than enough for 40-60 online. Are you sure that it is assured RAM? If you are having 512 mb burstable RAM, you may need to upgrade!
                  Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• Greek76
                    • Sep 2006
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by alemcherry
                    VPS with 512 mb ram is more than enough for 40-60 online. Are you sure that it is assured RAM? If you are having 512 mb burstable RAM, you may need to upgrade!
                    I was thinking the same exact thing. 512 should be more than able to handle 40-60 online...
                    Acrow Host

Comment

• koneil
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 3.8.x

I just called MediaTemple.net and asked them about the (GS) server. They said that mysql is limited to 100 concurrent connections, and the new (DV) you can set the limit. Also, you can upgrade the (DV) as see fit.

Is anyone using the (DV) server? If so, does it run vBulletin well? I run a forum with about 30-40 people online at one time, and its growing slowly. So I want something good.

Oh the (DV) Base is 50/month.

Comment

• subnet_rx
                        • Dec 2004
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by alemcherry
                        I was told it was assured. Like I said, my meters never show me actually using all of the RAM, only about 40-60%. It seems as though I'm using 100% of the allotted CPU though. That's why I'm looking to upgrade.

Comment

• express
                          • Apr 2001
                          • 3.6.x

Are you logged in as root and looking at top when you see the cpu and ram usage?

Cpu has idle times and ram as cache also to look at there.

If you have swap memory on the server and you are constantly seeing usage there then you need more ram.

Joey
                          Real Web Host

Comment

• subnet_rx
                            • Dec 2004
                            • 3.5.x

Sorry to bring this back up, but I again have questions on whether I need to move to a dedicated or if it's just the server location and/or setup. Here's my memory usage:

total used free shared buffers cached
                            Mem: 512 210 301 0 0 0
                            -/+ buffers/cache: 210 301
                            Swap: 0 0 0

Load stays around 0.40 to 0.50. My current host just told me that I have one CPU dedicated to me on a 4 CPU server, so 1.67mhz and 512mb RAM

Basically, my forum is just slow. Connection timeouts, frequent service shutdowns (httpd, ftp, etc), and 5-10 seconds to load some pages. A traceroute also shows that latency is good, with average 40ms in 11 hops. I'm really having problems tracking down what the problem is.
                            Last edited by subnet_rx; Tue 11 Mar '08, 7:54am.

Comment

• express
                              • Apr 2001
                              • 3.6.x

If I am looking at the correct forum it shows 404 users online 41 members and the remainder as guests.
                              Last edited by express; Tue 11 Mar '08, 12:42pm.
                              Real Web Host

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...