This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SOM
    • Jul 2007

I have to jump back into the fun and say that HostICan did have vBulletin listed as free software with a hosting package which made me suspicious and question why I just spent $160 for a licensed version

Thanks,

SOM

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
      • Dec 2006
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by SOM
      I have to jump back into the fun and say that HostICan did have vBulletin listed as free software with a hosting package which made me suspicious and question why I just spent $160 for a licensed version

Thanks,

SOM

Maybe it was typo. Curious. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be a serious offering.

Peace,
      Gene

Comment

• encryption
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Gene Steinberg
        Maybe it was typo. Curious. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be a serious offering.

Peace,
        Gene
        lol a "typo" would be vbulleting and not "phpBB"
        www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
        www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• Joshs
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by encryption
          If you consider the fact that the single largest hard drive a dedicated server can have is 500 GB, a great "majority" of dedicated servers come with 2 or 3 Terrabytes of bandwidth a month, and a reliable dedicated server for CPU hungry applications will start at $150 and higher (nearing $200 with the software and add ons), do you really think a webhost is going to give you 500 GB of HD space and unlimited BW at $10.95/Month.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, bandwidth and HD space are the least important factors when you consider CPU intensive forum hosting.

Nearly all hosts giving you packages with "unlimited" bandwidth will be on a crowded port that barely gives you 1 Mbit/sec. As a result, your real throughput would barely get past 2 / 300 gb in a month and that is if you maxed out that connection 24 hours a day.

Even if you get a 10mbit dedicated port and your host "allowed" you to MAX out that port 24 hours a day, you'd get 3.1 terrabytes of throughput in a month. So it's still NOT unlimited bandwidth because there is a limit what that connection will give you.

Don't get taken in by misleadings of terminology. For clients who approach me with concerns on BW, I gladly extend bonuses of 50 - 75%. BW is rarely as big a concern for a webhost, especially if the package a client gets is higher because now, a larger part of the server hardware cost is being recovered.

Standard prices listed on our website are done with conservative HW + BW offerings because we have to spread out the possibility that perhaps in a given month, we suddenly have an influx of smaller packages that could potentially take more accounts to cover the hardware expense.

Moreover, it's not just bandwidth but "PREMIUM" Bandwidth that counts.

The reason I say premium is because my own forum hosts 60 - 360 minute DJ mixes for download ranging in size from 70 megabytes up to 300+. We cant have the connection locked down by several high-speed downloads and so its imperative the download completes quick. Yes we do throttle the number of simultaneous transfers but it's also keeping the availability of the site in mind.

The 2 x fundamental factors in forum hosting (in my opinion) are speed (server load and port connection leading to how quick the site loads on the users end) and uptime. There are a dime-a-dozen overcrowded webhosting companies on the web but I know what I offer and its because I have been dealing with webhosts and forum hosting since late 2001 / early 2002. I know a thing or two about this line and what it takes to run a site effectively. That's why we got into the business because of the sheer number of halfwits out there who are ruining a perfectly good industry.

Although I do find it funny that Gene mentions that he can't "say" anything about MJWebHosting because there are thousands of such firms around the country, small and large (which is totally acceptable), but he will speak most "reliably" on HostICan, even when he's barely completed a month and half there and he's been pushing them incredibly well since his first week hosting with them.

In any event, I'm not here to sell my services and stick our webhosting name into every thread, I'm here to share an opinion on "hosting".
          Ditto. You said it well. Companies that oversell and are number-focused typically equate to slow servers and downtime. After all you get what you pay for.

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
            • Dec 2006
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joshs
            Ditto. You said it well. Companies that oversell and are number-focused typically equate to slow servers and downtime. After all you get what you pay for.
            Based on my personal experience, this is just not true. I'm sorry, but the message you're quoting comes from another host, which means there is a vested interest in pushing a specific marketing approach.

As to overselling: Let's not pursue the drivel that pollutes other forums, such as WHT and deal with the facts. Firt and foremost, so-called overselling is a common way of providing services. Consider your wireless phone company, for example. If everyone who has account calls at the same time, the system would be well overloaded. If everyone who has an account at a bank tried to take out their money at the same time, the bank would probably go out of business.

The fact of the matter is that overselling in Web hosting is clearly a marketing tool. But if the host manages its load properly, it's also a very effective way of getting lots of bang for the buck. Only a fraction of the people who use those services will ever approach the limits, and if they do, other limitations, such as CPU and RAM, may stop things in their tracks. With a static site, you might actually hit those incredible limits. Regardless, many budget hosts listed in this category have fine reputations for performance.

My best advice, based on dealing with Web hosts for 8 years now, is to check out their reputation and user ratings for the quality of customer service, site performance and uptime. Forgetting for the moment what I use, just go by your own research, and forget this silliness about overselling.

Peace,
            Gene Steinberg

Comment

• Joshs
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Gene Steinberg
              Based on my personal experience, this is just not true. I'm sorry, but the message you're quoting comes from another host, which means there is a vested interest in pushing a specific marketing approach.

As to overselling: Let's not pursue the drivel that pollutes other forums, such as WHT and deal with the facts. Firt and foremost, so-called overselling is a common way of providing services. Consider your wireless phone company, for example. If everyone who has account calls at the same time, the system would be well overloaded. If everyone who has an account at a bank tried to take out their money at the same time, the bank would probably go out of business.

The fact of the matter is that overselling in Web hosting is clearly a marketing tool. But if the host manages its load properly, it's also a very effective way of getting lots of bang for the buck. Only a fraction of the people who use those services will ever approach the limits, and if they do, other limitations, such as CPU and RAM, may stop things in their tracks.

My best advice, based on dealing with Web hosts for 8 years now, is to check out their reputation and user ratings for the quality of customer service, site performance and uptime. Forgetting for the moment what I use, just go by your own research, and forget this silliness about overselling.

Peace,
              Gene Steinberg
              I have as many years of industry experience/success in the hosting industry as you have being a customer in the industry. While you are speaking from your specific customer experiences I am speaking from the facts of the industry and what I have witnessed firsthand (both from the service provider and customer perspective). While I give you credit in attempting to come up with some analogies regarding overselling its not a term you can apply in a blanket manner to all industries. Web hosting is a service that deals specifically in the serving of data, etc. When I go to the bank I frequently wait in a long line. The bank provides a different service and they not specifically speak of speed/etc of their ability to provide teller services. FWIW, hosts that oversell typically do NOT manage what you speak of well. That equates to downtime, slow servers, etc.

I read many of your previous replies here at vBulletin and you seem to have a lot of enthusiasm pushing "HIC" which is interesting.

Have a nice weekend.

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
                • Dec 2006
                • 3.8.x

I have as many years of industry experience/success in the hosting industry as you have being a customer in the industry. While you are speaking from your specific customer experiences I am speaking from the facts of the industry and what I have witnessed firsthand (both from the service provider and customer perspective). While I give you credit in attempting to come up with some analogies regarding overselling its not a term you can apply in a blanket manner to all industries. Web hosting is a service that deals specifically in the serving of data, etc. When I go to the bank I frequently wait in a long line. The bank provides a different service and they not specifically speak of speed/etc of their ability to provide teller services. FWIW, hosts that oversell typically do NOT manage what you speak of well. That equates to downtime, slow servers, etc.

I read many of your previous replies here at vBulletin and you seem to have a lot of enthusiasm pushing "HIC" which is interesting.

Have a nice weekend.
                Please don't distort the facts again. If everyone at the bank tried to take out their money at the same time, the bank would fail. Consider your cable Internet service, city bus company and monthly passes, your electric company, etc. They all oversell by the strict definition of the term.

This has nothing to do with HostICan specifically. There are a number of hosts that offer low prices and high bandwidth and good performance. HostGator has a solid reputation. DreamHost did well when I was there. Saying that so-called overselling hosts do not manage their networks well is to cast aspersions on a number of very responsible companies.

Yes, there are companies that are greedy and stuff their servers without regard to performance. It doesn't necessarily relate to whether they use overselling as part of their business

Peace,
                Gene

Comment

• Yours
                  • May 2007

Reading through both responses (and long they where) I still must go with Gene.

Yes, SOME web hosts over stuff and fail miserably (BlueHost being a living example, I have had to deal with it). I have had LONG conversations with the HIC support staff in regards to their shared hosting plans. They may offer overselling, but they do so happen to manage their servers. A GOOD Hosting company can over stuff their servers no problem. Once they hit a roadblock for space/bandwidth they move some users to a new server. Overselling is not always bad, as Gene stated. It gets the hosting company more money, and if managed properly a better reputation. HIC simply knows what they are doing. You guys seriously need to grow up though. Yes, you wish to try to advertise your site here, but I mean comeon by arguing with Gene over what is better and throwing your hosting company into the mix, that honestly makes me as a customer less likely to even THINK about going to your host, because in your posts it shows that you are acting immature and do not know how to cope with your anger online, showing the lack of management abilities your hosting company can provide. You are trying to make sales, yes, but you are just putting your company down the drain farther and farther. I suggest you stop wile you are not too deep in the hole. If you wish to continue digging your grave, then by all means please do.

Edit: Wow clearly you hate VPSes as you don't even offer them on your website.
                  One more note: You technically don't even offer support at ALL yet. What webhost company doesn't offer support? A ticket system.. WOOPDY DO! As a customer I like to have a live representative. Phone Support and Online support are MUCH better than just a Ticket System. HIC offers all 3. Again proving you off that they manage their hosting company better
                  Last edited by Yours; Sat 14 Jul '07, 9:37pm.

Comment

• encryption
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Yours

Yes, SOME web hosts over stuff and fail miserably (BlueHost being a living example, I have had to deal with it). I have had LONG conversations with the HIC support staff in regards to their shared hosting plans. They may offer overselling, but they do so happen to manage their servers. A GOOD Hosting company can over stuff their servers no problem. Once they hit a roadblock for space/bandwidth they move some users to a new server. Overselling is not always bad, as Gene stated. It gets the hosting company more money, and if managed properly a better reputation. HIC simply knows what they are doing. You guys seriously need to grow up though. Yes, you wish to try to advertise your site here, but I mean comeon by arguing with Gene over what is better and throwing your hosting company into the mix, that honestly makes me as a customer less likely to even THINK about going to your host, because in your posts it shows that you are acting immature and do not know how to cope with your anger online, showing the lack of management abilities your hosting company can provide. You are trying to make sales, yes, but you are just putting your company down the drain farther and farther. I suggest you stop wile you are not too deep in the hole. If you wish to continue digging your grave, then by all means please do.

One more note: You technically don't even offer support at ALL yet. What webhost company doesn't offer support? A ticket system.. WOOPDY DO! As a customer I like to have a live representative. Phone Support and Online support are MUCH better than just a Ticket System. HIC offers all 3. Again proving you off that they manage their hosting company better

Bring on the HIC cavalry.

Btw if you were responding specifically with me in mind, let me know so I can respond accordingly.
                    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• Joshs
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Yours

Please do not tell me to grow up because you are the one that is 14 years old and has zero industry experience. I am not going to get into an argument over matters that I have done years of research into because you think at your age you are the all knowing. Sure there are web hosts that are prime examples of being bad over sellers such as the one you mentioned and Dreamhost, but you give too much credit to HIC -- after all they have only been around for one year from what I see. The facts of the matter are that overselling tends to equate into a poor service experience for the end-user. At my company once in a while we have a user switch to a web host because we do not offer terabytes of disk storage space and bandwidth transfer but they come running back a week or so later preaching they will never leave us again -- because they experienced terrible service (slow, downtime, etc).

While you may have had a long talk with HIC support staff, do you have an inside scoop and know the truth? You could be taking someones word that is simply marketing the service. A good hosting company will not over stuff their servers period. A good hosting company will not require users to move to a different server because one become overcrowded (that equates to downtime and is just poor business). How would you like going to a nice restaurant and them not preparing for the evening rush? While you are in the middle of dinner you are asked to stand up while the restaurant staff rearranges the restaurant to be able to fit more people in. I don't think thats too great.

I am not advertising my service here...I am simply trying to steer people in the right direction. I have been registered here for many years and have seen it all -- hosts come and go, cliques form for certain new web hosts, etc. Again, I will point out at your age of 14, you try to make some pretty big statements. I give you credit in attempting but please understand all of the facts before spewing incorrect information. For example, you are stating that I have anger management issues? You are stating that I am immature? I have a lack of management abilities? I am here to sell my service? I am putting my company down the drain (or grave as you also put it) further (I didn't know we were down the drain/grave at all)? Those are some pretty big statements that rely on too much assumption and you've got it all wrong.

Then you go to make further bold statements such as I have a hate for something? I hate VPS? My company does not offer any support? Let me say this: I hope that you do not become a police detective when you are old enough for a job. I am not going to respond further to all of this nonsense.

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 3.8.x

Please do not tell me to grow up because you are the one that is 14 years old and has zero industry experience. I am not going to get into an argument over matters that I have done years of research into because you think at your age you are the all knowing. Sure there are web hosts that are prime examples of being bad over sellers such as the one you mentioned and Dreamhost, but you give too much credit to HIC -- after all they have only been around for one year from what I see. The facts of the matter are that overselling tends to equate into a poor service experience for the end-user. At my company once in a while we have a user switch to a web host because we do not offer terabytes of disk storage space and bandwidth transfer but they come running back a week or so later preaching they will never leave us again -- because they experienced terrible service (slow, downtime, etc).

While you may have had a long talk with HIC support staff, do you have an inside scoop and know the truth? You could be taking someones word that is simply marketing the service. A good hosting company will not over stuff their servers period. A good hosting company will not require users to move to a different server because one become overcrowded (that equates to downtime and is just poor business). How would you like going to a nice restaurant and them not preparing for the evening rush? While you are in the middle of dinner you are asked to stand up while the restaurant staff rearranges the restaurant to be able to fit more people in. I don't think thats too great.

I am not advertising my service here...I am simply trying to steer people in the right direction. I have been registered here for many years and have seen it all -- hosts come and go, cliques form for certain new web hosts, etc. Again, I will point out at your age of 14, you try to make some pretty big statements. I give you credit in attempting but please understand all of the facts before spewing incorrect information. For example, you are stating that I have anger management issues? You are stating that I am immature? I have a lack of management abilities? I am here to sell my service? I am putting my company down the drain (or grave as you also put it) further (I didn't know we were down the drain/grave at all)? Those are some pretty big statements that rely on too much assumption and you've got it all wrong.

Then you go to make further bold statements such as I have a hate for something? I hate VPS? My company does not offer any support? Let me say this: I hope that you do not become a police detective when you are old enough for a job. I am not going to respond further to all of this nonsense.
                        What you said is mostly content free with a smattering of obvious errors that aren't worth much further attention.

For example, my understanding is that HostICan began, under a different name, in 2003. Just wanted to clarify that. Check the BBB listing.

Peace,
                        Gene
                        Last edited by Gene Steinberg; Sun 15 Jul '07, 9:50am.

Comment

• Yours
                          • May 2007

So you say that age makes a difference? As far as I am conserned my age has nothing to do with anything. You ARE trying to sell your hosting here. You are acting very poorly in regards to somebody saying that HIC is great. Just because you hate to see competition doesn't mean you have to do it right back. You are telling Gene to stop praising HIC, that it is wrong, yet you would just go right on doing the same thing in regards to your hosting. You make it sound like I act as if I know it all. Have you checked the mirror lately? Because you are the one acting as if you know everything in the world. So what you have a few years of experience. Does that mean that you will always be right in regards to hosting? No. I suggest you put more time and effort into your webhost, getting that "Coming Soon" phone support, and finding a better layout/template for the site so its a bit easier on the eyes and more user friendly.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

Another thread ruined. Next time infractions will be in order for people that cannot control themselves.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...