Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bellina
    • Oct 2005

Best Low Cost Host for VB?

There are so many options to chose from. However I run a VB only board. What in your experience is the best shared server host for VB? I have about 2k members with TONS of pics, vids, and file shares. So I need something quick but with plenty of space to grow and good tech support is a must. Thus far I have been ok with a shared server. As I cannot afford anything more at the moment.

I recently moved to godaddy and ever since I moved I cannot get any of the old attachments to load. There are all kinds of glitches all over PHP issues, server time outs. The attachments are about 80% of my board so this is NOT good. The pics ARE there on the server but they don't show up. I have spent weeks going back and forth with VB and godaddy trying to trouble shoot it to no avail. So my only option at this point is to move servers yet again in hopes I find one that supports vb very well.

I have read through all the threads but I am more confused now then when I started. There are so many options but not lots of pros on just one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW this is what I have now (about $4 a mo):

• 5 GB Space
    • 250 GB Transfer
    • 500 Email Accounts
    FREE! Software
    • 10 MySQL Databases
    • 50 Email Forwards

And if my board was actually working the way it should, that would be phenomenal!
    Last edited by Bellina; Sun 22 Apr '07, 3:46pm.
  • Gene Steinberg
    • Dec 2006
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Bellina
    There are so many options to chose from. However I run a VB only board. What in your experience is the best shared server host for VB? I have about 2k members with TONS of pics, vids, and file shares. So I need something quick but with plenty of space to grow and good tech support is a must. Thus far I have been ok with a shared server. As I cannot afford anything more at the moment.

I recently moved to godaddy and ever since I moved I cannot get any of the old attachments to load. There are all kinds of glitches all over PHP issues, server time outs. The attachments are about 80% of my board so this is NOT good. The pics ARE there on the server but they don't show up. I have spent weeks going back and forth with VB and godaddy trying to trouble shoot it to no avail. So my only option at this point is to move servers yet again in hopes I find one that supports vb very well.

I have read through all the threads but I am more confused now then when I started. There are so many options but not lots of pros on just one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW this is what I have now (about $4 a mo):

• 5 GB Space
    • 250 GB Transfer
    • 500 Email Accounts
    FREE! Software
    • 10 MySQL Databases
    • 50 Email Forwards

And if my board was actually working the way it should, that would be phenomenal!
    Pack up your stuff and leave GoDaddy. My vBulletin board, www.theparacast.com/forums, ran dead slow there and I was glad to leave.

On the other hand, when you have lots of video content, you may be using more resources than a shared server can handle. You may want to look into VPS and/or a dedicated server.

While a shared server may indeed have the storage and bandwidth that fits your needs, the problem is that multimedia content may use more resources than such an environment can handle. That's true even if you never approach the storage and bandwidth limits.

Obviously, anything outside of a shared hosting option will be far more costly. My suggestion would be to expand your budget, and perhaps do something to monetize the site so you can cover the costs.

Peace,
    Gene

Comment

• express
      • Apr 2001
      • 3.6.x

How much space and bandwidth do you actally use?

Joey
      Real Web Host

Comment

• Bellina
        • Oct 2005

Oh trust me I will be leaving as soon as I can. My board is not functioning correctly. I just lost my job and we currently have no sponsors so expanding the budget is a no go. I can easily use you tube or something for vids though. No worries there. I really don't like the idea of members using up space for that anyway.

I am a newbie at this. I'm not sure I can accurately determine my use since none of the pics are actually showing on the site.

Comment

• alemcherry
          • Jun 2006

I can suggest you some good hosts for $6-$7 per month. Checkout hostgator, lunarpages and hostmonster. With hostgator, you can have monthly payment without any extra charges. You might like IX web host for their price, but the cheapest one doesnt offer mysql
          Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• joeychgo
            • Mar 2004

Lunar pages (at least at one time) does not like vBulletin forums. When I had my first forum, I was booted from Lunarpages because my forum was too "server intensive"

Here is a short list of Web Hosting for vBulletin

Otherwise, I found lunarpages to be a good host I would use for non forum applications. Customer service was very good. So was speed and reliability. They just dont like vB on their shared servers.
            Building my Automotive Forum Network...
            Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
              • Dec 2006
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by joeychgo
              Lunar pages (at least at one time) does not like vBulletin forums. When I had my first forum, I was booted from Lunarpages because my forum was too "server intensive"

Here is a short list of Web Hosting for vBulletin

Otherwise, I found lunarpages to be a good host I would use for non forum applications. Customer service was very good. So was speed and reliability. They just dont like vB on their shared servers.
              Alas, that's an ad-sponsored page, which means that you can take the recommendations with a grain of salt.

Peace,
              Gene

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...