X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichM
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.0.x

The Planet problems

My server was disconnected at network level earlier. The reason for this was due to the fact that this months payment had been declined for an unknown reason. I therefore had to ring the The Planet in the USA to get the server reconnected. All I did was ask them to process the card again, and it went through without any problems and the server was reconnected within 10 minutes.

Whilst that may sound pretty good, I was given only 24 hours notification to resolve this issue, and that if I had failed to resolve this payment issue by then, I'd be subject to a $50 reconnection fee upon payment. (Which will be the case)

Obviously I do not keep my main email address on file with The Planet, as it's hosted on my server. - Thus, if my server went down, I'd have less means to contact them as obviously I would not be able to access that email address. As you can guess, I do not check my secondary email address on a daily basis, I mean, who would considering it's only used for one purpose? Whilst this may not be their fault, they should have at least given a longer notification period and should contact their customers via ticket as well, when issues such as these arise.

So basically, I am not happy with the way I have been treated as a customer. I mean, they did not even say goodbye after that had finished talking on the phone, the American lady just hung up after saying "I will have your server reconnected asap." That's just the icing on the cake for me.

Whilst they are not entirely to blame with regards to the payment being declined, I do not think they give their customers adequate notification OR adquate time to resolve these issues. Being disconnected after not having paid after 24 hours over the due date may be debatable, but in my opinion, a $50 reconnections charge for not resolving the issue within 24 hours is unnaceptable. My question is, what if it happens again, how will I know? What if I go away for 24 hours or more? I simply cannot afford for these things to happen.

So basically, I am looking for suggestions for a new data centre which has a good customer service reputation. Preferably I'd like to move to a British data centre which has a variety of server specifications to choose from at reasonable prices.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Gene Steinberg
    • Dec 2006
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by RichM
    My server was disconnected at network level earlier. The reason for this was due to the fact that this months payment had been declined for an unknown reason. I therefore had to ring the The Planet in the USA to get the server reconnected. All I did was ask them to process the card again, and it went through without any problems and the server was reconnected within 10 minutes.

Whilst that may sound pretty good, I was given only 24 hours notification to resolve this issue, and that if I had failed to resolve this payment issue by then, I'd be subject to a $50 reconnection fee upon payment. (Which will be the case)

Obviously I do not keep my main email address on file with The Planet, as it's hosted on my server. - Thus, if my server went down, I'd have less means to contact them as obviously I would not be able to access that email address. As you can guess, I do not check my secondary email address on a daily basis, I mean, who would considering it's only used for one purpose? Whilst this may not be their fault, they should have at least given a longer notification period and should contact their customers via ticket as well, when issues such as these arise.

So basically, I am not happy with the way I have been treated as a customer. I mean, they did not even say goodbye after that had finished talking on the phone, the American lady just hung up after saying "I will have your server reconnected asap." That's just the icing on the cake for me.

Whilst they are not entirely to blame with regards to the payment being declined, I do not think they give their customers adequate notification OR adquate time to resolve these issues. Being disconnected after not having paid after 24 hours over the due date may be debatable, but in my opinion, a $50 reconnections charge for not resolving the issue within 24 hours is unnaceptable. My question is, what if it happens again, how will I know? What if I go away for 24 hours or more? I simply cannot afford for these things to happen.

So basically, I am looking for suggestions for a new data centre which has a good customer service reputation. Preferably I'd like to move to a British data centre which has a variety of server specifications to choose from at reasonable prices.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Whatever service center you choose, and I am not in a position to recommend any, you should check carefully about their payment policies beforehand, in case there's a problem in the future. That way you know what to expect.

Peace,
    Gene

Comment

• WireNine.com
      • Jun 2005
      • 3.8.x

I would highly recommend SoftLayer.com, they are doing a great job!
      ■█► WireNine.com Web Hosting 8+ years in business!
      ■█► Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and VPS Hosting 24/7 Support 99.9% Uptime 60 Day Money Back Guarantee
      ■█► cPanel, Litespeed, CloudFlare, Softaculous, Attracta SEO, Site Builder
      ■█► Find us on Facebook and follow us @wirenine

Comment

• deatheyes
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.6.x

anyone use zipservers.com ???
        Optimize your website
        Cool Wallpaper
        All Android Rom

Comment

• jasonlitka
          • Mar 2006
          • 4.0.x

To be perfectly honest, I think 24 hours grace is generous, and this is just as much your fault for not checking your email regularly.

Bandwidth and power are expensive. If I had a customer whose payment was declined I'd disconnect the server immediately. Besides, it's not like they formatted your server, they simply disconnected it.
          Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

• ~kev~
            • Mar 2007
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by jason|xoxide
            To be perfectly honest, I think 24 hours grace is generous, and this is just as much your fault for not checking your email regularly.
            Some of us do NOT live at our computers. There are times, such as on vacation, camping trips or hunting trips I do not check my emails for DAYS.

24 hours notification is not enough time!

RichM - I suggest you go over to http://www.webhostingtalk.com and post your story there. A lot of these hosting companies have employees that check the webhostingtalk.com forum, plus its a good way to leave negative feed back for those people looking for hosting companies.
            survival gear forum

Comment

• DelphiVillage
              • Apr 2002
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Gene Steinberg
              Whatever service center you choose, and I am not in a position to recommend any, you should check carefully about their payment policies beforehand, in case there's a problem in the future. That way you know what to expect.

Peace,
              Gene
              that's the first thing i would do.If you consider to purchase anything always check the used "policies" also you should provide an emailadress that is NOT hosted on your server so you are *always* able to receive such important mails

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

I think ADB (Alex) would recommend Steadfast.net.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• express
                  • Apr 2001
                  • 3.6.x

24 hours is not enough time. We give our clients 3 days to make payment. Those 3 days a reminder email is sent out each day. In some cases after the 3 days we will call the client and notify them. While this does not work in all cases it usually works with the bigger paying clients.
                  To cut someone off in 24 hours is not right unless that client has shown over months that it happens over and over again and even in that case they should be given at least 3 days not 1!

Joey
                  Real Web Host

Comment

• derekivey
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 3.6.x

I have had no problems with Layered Tech. I would recommend them for cheap unmanaged servers.
                    <Onimua> Congrats Chroder
                    <Onimua> You're a daddy.
                    <Chroder> eh
                    <Onimua> :)
                    <Chroder> uh oh

Comment

• dwh
                      • Sep 2000
                      • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

24 hours for a little mistake on a long time customer is a joke. I can tell you they aren't that fast when it comes to refunding you...I have a doozy of a story for you. I'm waiting to see if they refund me today...after I really raked them over the coals....

Just to give you a headline, they ORDERED SOMETHING FOR ME WITHOUT ME ASKING FOR IT!

They eventually admitted the mistake but haven't refunded me although they promised to.

Even after admitting the mistake, they haven't cancelled the order and are still charging me for it second month in a row! Even though I cancelled my server and am with Softlayer now.

And there's more!

Comment

• SSandgirls
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 3.7.x

UGHH, My Site is on shared hosting and my Host uses the Planet.

My Site has been down for over 12 hours, I cannot make any contact with my host..

Does anyone know how I could contact the Planet to find out what is going on, I tried their live chat but no luck, It just closed when I hit submit....

Comment

• Shazz™
                          • Jul 2006
                          • 3.7.x

Ive had problems on the planet too. Random downtime
                          Sound District

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...