X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonlitka
    • Mar 2006
    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by LSIntegra94
    The site owner will definitely require one.
    Well, then I'd have to go with Plesk.
    Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

• LSIntegra94
      • Jul 2005
      • 3.8.x

Why do you suggest Plesk, the functionality or the GUI?

Comment

• jasonlitka
        • Mar 2006
        • 4.0.x

The GUI is fairly easy to use, easier, in my opinion, than CPanel, and it does everything that I believe a control panel should be able to do. It also doesn't start compiling software from source on your system; it's entirely RPM-based.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by jason|xoxide
          The GUI is fairly easy to use, easier, in my opinion, than CPanel, and it does everything that I believe a control panel should be able to do.
          I have the exact opposite opinion. For me, cPanel is much more intuitive and easier to use.

They both have demos available so you should try them out for yourself.

cPanel Demo
          Plesk Demo
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
            • Dec 2006
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            I have the exact opposite opinion. For me, cPanel is much more intuitive and easier to use.

They both have demos available so you should try them out for yourself.

cPanel Demo
            Plesk Demo
            Some hosts, such as GoDaddy and DreamHost, use their own customized control panel. I can't say if there are demos to check, but don't assume that you must use the "brand name" varieties.

Peace,
            Gene

Comment

• adrianus
              • Jul 2006

CPanel is the most widely used. If one day you want to change host, it will be easier. I never used Plesk so I cannot make any comment.

A server with CPanel/WHM, with other service (like spamassassin) will take at about 150-180 MB of RAM. Add an average VBulletin site (50 people logged in), and it will reach about 200-240 MB.
              Last edited by adrianus; Sun 18 Mar '07, 4:57pm.

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
                • Dec 2006
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by adrianus
                CPanel is the most widely used. If one day you want to change host, it will be easier. I never used Plesk so I cannot make any comment.

A server with CPanel/WHM, with other service (like spamassassin) will take at about 150-180 MB of RAM
                Some hosts have their own customized control panel. I've seen nothing in any of them that any halfway experienced user can't master in a few minutes, so this shouldn't be the A number one factor by a long shot.

Peace,
                Gene

Comment

• Joshs
                  • Jan 2001

I've tried Ensim, Plesk, cPanel/WHM, etc over the years. Very thankful that my company made the switch to cPanel/WHM a long time ago. Its superior and would've been nearly impossible to migrate thousands of customers we've obtained to a new solution.

Comment

• jasonlitka
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Joshs
                    I've tried Ensim, Plesk, cPanel/WHM, etc over the years. Very thankful that my company made the switch to cPanel/WHM a long time ago. Its superior and would've been nearly impossible to migrate thousands of customers we've obtained to a new solution.
                    It's worth mentioning that Plesk has an automated importer that works very well. If you ever did decide to switch, it probably wouldn't be that difficult.

Comment

• Joshs
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by jason|xoxide
                      It's worth mentioning that Plesk has an automated importer that works very well. If you ever did decide to switch, it probably wouldn't be that difficult.
                      Of course there are ways to make the transition easier but no matter what there is a lot involved when doing anything with 1000s of customers. The biggest thing would be supporting 1000s of customers after the change because many would be frenzied trying to adapt to something new.

Comment

• jasonlitka
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Joshs
                        Of course there are ways to make the transition easier but no matter what there is a lot involved when doing anything with 1000s of customers. The biggest thing would be supporting 1000s of customers after the change because many would be frenzied trying to adapt to something new.
                        That is true.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...