X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LSIntegra94
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.8.x

VPS advice needed

I'm looking for a new home for our site. A VPS seems to be in order. The main part of the site is static HTML with the forum being the only current MySQL database. Installed vBulletin on a shared server about a year and a half ago. A few hurdles due to the restrictions of the shared server. But, no major problems to speak of. As the membership has grown page load speed has decreased; sometimes to the degree that a page times out. We’re not running any chat system, shout boxes or arcade stuff, nor shall we in the future. Plans for the near future are to convert the static site to a CMS. So, there will be a heavier burden on SQL.

The forum currently consists of 2500 members, with an average of 120 users (combined members, guests and search bots) online at any given time. The membership is constantly growing and I fully expect that within 1.5 years to have 4000 members on board with current online being somewhere around 200-250. We have 2Gigs on the hard drive and bandwidth usage this month has been 180Gigs so far. The site has an antiquated gallery system that will be upgraded to a PHP based gallery as well. We do not host adult content and would prefer to stay away form hosts who support that type of content.

As often advised here I’ve read quite a bit on webhostingtalk.com. But, that didn’t really help much. There are so many conflicting reports and opinions that it is difficult to determine what an honest experience is and what is an advertisement.

How much RAM do I need?
    What is the effect of cPanel on RAM (I’ve read that it can uses about 128megs)?
    Hosting recommendations?
  • Curtis H.
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by LSIntegra94
    A VPS seems to be in order.
    Managed or fully managed VPS?
    :cool:

Comment

• LSIntegra94
      • Jul 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Curtis H.
      Managed or fully managed VPS?

I'm open to all options at this point. Fully managed is not necessary though.

Comment

• kerplunk
        • Aug 2002

PowerVPS.com

Highly recommended.

Comment

• LSIntegra94
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.8.x

I've heard good thing about PowerVPS. But, to get the bandwidth that we need might break the budget.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should be looking for in RAM?

Comment

• LSIntegra94
            • Jul 2005
            • 3.8.x

Right now Servint and MyriadNetwork are looking like the top choices. Spoke with iPower, and was told by the sales staff that they do not give out their processor specs on VPS packages. Which doesn't make any sense to me. Went round and round with the guy until he offered to send me over to tech. Spoke with the tech guy and after explaining the situation was put on hold while he spoke with his supervisor. He then came back and told me that they are using Intel Quad Xenons. He said that he couldn't get the speed specs though, that it was locked only for Admins. Don't know if I should trust this info though.

Any thoughts on Servint or MyriadNetwork and how much RAM I should be looking to get?

Comment

• adrianus
              • Jul 2006

All PowerVPS, Servint and and Myriad offer about the same price I think. PowerVPS is very good, support is top notch but lately they introduce SLM which will kill your application if you use the burst RAM for too long. I had a forum there and have to move it due to that problem. The forum is with MyriadNetwork now it seems to be OK but I have bigger RAM there. Comparing PowerVPS and Myriad I think PowerVPS have better support. Speed is about the same to me (I live in the other side of the world).

I heard Servint is very dood but I never had any experience with them. I choose between PowerVPS and Servint two years ago and I went with PowerVPS.

The amount of RAM you need is depend on the a lot of thing. If you use CPanel yes, it will use 128 MB before anything. 512 MB will be quite safe for you I think.

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
                • Dec 2003
                • 1.1.x

managed vps solutions available at www.servint.net/vps
                TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...