X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nadreg
    • Jun 2006

Hosting plans?

Hi all,

I currently have a site with f5Hosting, and use their normal, non-dedicated, non-VPS plans. Recently, I've been hitting the disk space limits. I looked at asmallorange.com, and their VPS options seemed very attractive.

My question is whether their "personal" plan with 256MB RAM is good enough. I regularly have between 200-250 users online, with peaks of a little over 500 at times. The disk space and bandwidth is more than what I have now, so I should be fine there.

Should I go for more RAM, or is 256MB good enough?
  • Link00seven
    • Aug 2004
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by nadreg
    Hi all,

I currently have a site with f5Hosting, and use their normal, non-dedicated, non-VPS plans. Recently, I've been hitting the disk space limits. I looked at asmallorange.com, and their VPS options seemed very attractive.

My question is whether their "personal" plan with 256MB RAM is good enough. I regularly have between 200-250 users online, with peaks of a little over 500 at times. The disk space and bandwidth is more than what I have now, so I should be fine there.

Should I go for more RAM, or is 256MB good enough?
    I don't know much about severs, but with that kind of activity your probably going to want at least 512MB if not 1GB of RAM.

Comment

• nadreg
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Link00seven
      I don't know much about severs, but with that kind of activity your probably going to want at least 512MB if not 1GB of RAM.
      Is there a way to see how much RAM my current vBulletin installation is using?

Comment

• medialayer
        • Nov 2006
        • 3.6.x

Is there a way to see how much RAM my current vBulletin installation is using?
        No, and it tends to vary depending on server configuration.

What is your budget to host the site? And I'm sorry to say but I don't think any of the VPS plans from ASO will cut it.

You are leaning towards a dedicated solution with that activity.
        *MediaLayer Networks, Accelerated Application Hosting
        *With highly optimized, quad core, 15K SCSI RAID 10 servers,
        *We offer the best PHP/MySQL performance around.

*How does your hosting provider measure up?

Comment

• Curtis H.
          • Dec 2003

Recently, I've been hitting the disk space limits.
          Take a look at your disk space usage in cPanel. You'd be suprised as to how much space can be wasted. In FTP, look at your tmp directory and see if you have a problem with wasted space in your analog and awstats directories.

At the least, this will buy you some time until you find another hosting solution.
          :cool:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...