I need a host that can hold a consistent 300 people on at once, with peaks of 500

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisGuthrie.net
    • Jul 2005

I need a host that can hold a consistent 300 people on at once, with peaks of 500

I assume I will need a dedicated server. And I know that I don't want to deal with performing security upgrades and program upgrades etc. for the dedicated server, (as I have no experience doing that).

I have also never had to move my vBulletin site's before so I would also likely need help doing that as well.

I want to hold a consistent 300 people on a forum at a time with peaks of around 400 - 500 people on at once.

I run several vBulletin forums and believe I am running out of room on my current shared hosting plan. I currently have around 150 people on at once, with peaks of around 200, but I want room to grow as I intend to make a couple more big vBulletin sites soon.

Does anyone have any recommendations of comapanies you host with now that help moving vBulletin sites, give good response times and aren't really expensive?

Any ideas on a price I might be looking at?
    ChrisGuthrie.net - Forums and Blogging
  • choppers4life
    • Aug 2004
    • 3.6.x

What if any hacks do you have on the forum? What is your current monthly bandwith usage?

Comment

• cavanhalj
      • Feb 2007
      • 3.6.x

Its a good host http://www.triangulohost.com.br/

Comment

• medialayer
        • Nov 2006
        • 3.6.x

I don't think there are many shared hosts who will be able to host you, at least not at a "normal" shared hosting pricetag - they would atleast put you on more of a "semi-dedicated" solution, if not dedicated.

What is your budget to host this site? On a site with that many visitors, you can probably easily make some good money, depending on the content, etc. too.
        *MediaLayer Networks, Accelerated Application Hosting
        *With highly optimized, quad core, 15K SCSI RAID 10 servers,
        *We offer the best PHP/MySQL performance around.

*How does your hosting provider measure up?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

You are probably looking for a semi-managed to a managed servers. Good place to look is over at WebhostingTalk and asking around who's a really repuitable host.

I think Theplanet.com has some managed ones as well as Steadfast.net
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• nowgoeasy
            • Nov 2005

Try http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/
            Media Temple, now at GoDaddy, provides reliable web hosting and cloud hosting at a premium service level. Perfect for developers, web designers and content creators.
            Last edited by nowgoeasy; Fri 23 Feb '07, 3:42pm.

Comment

• encryption
              • May 2005

Yes email potential hosts to see if they can put you on a semi-dedicated solution. What is your intended budget?
              www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
              www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• medialayer
                • Nov 2006
                • 3.6.x

Users have reported very slow PHP performance on their "Grid Server". IMHO it's all hype and not worth the money. You won't host a vB forum with 300 users online there, nevermind a vB forum with 100 online users.
                *MediaLayer Networks, Accelerated Application Hosting
                *With highly optimized, quad core, 15K SCSI RAID 10 servers,
                *We offer the best PHP/MySQL performance around.

*How does your hosting provider measure up?

Comment

• CCWBumper
                  • Dec 2004
                  • 3.8.x

You sound like you may be getting about the same traffic I currently get. Check my post here. I can't say enough good about Tranquil Hosting....

Bumper
                  Administrator
                  ConservativeStronghold.com
                  Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Comment

• Carnage-
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 3.8.x

running a dedicated server isn't that hard... i've been doing it for over a year now. All you have to do is run 'apt-get upgrade' once every few weeks and keep an eye on a few sites like mysql.com and apache.org for any critical security updates.

I'd offer to host for you myself but i immagine you are looking for a profesional company thou i would move it for you, for free, unlike many others.

My current host is 49pence.com cant say i'm overly impressed with their customer support but then again i am on an unmanaged package i don't know what they'd be like on a managed package. Still the server is relyable and theres rarely any down time so can't really complain
                    Some of my Mods:
                    Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                    Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                    Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
                    Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

• jonsimmonds
                      • Sep 2005
                      • 3.5.x

I use

http://www.layeredtech.com/index.php? for the server

and

http://www.acunettmanagement.com/ for the server management

Comment

• nowgoeasy
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by medialayer
                        Users have reported very slow PHP performance on their "Grid Server". IMHO it's all hype and not worth the money. You won't host a vB forum with 300 users online there, nevermind a vB forum with 100 online users.
                        Quote from [email protected]

To answer your question specifically, we allow 100 connections on the (gs)
                        Grid-Server and yes you can run vBulletin on the server.

and my host is Medialayer http://www.newyorkracingonline.com
                        Last edited by nowgoeasy; Thu 8 Mar '07, 1:43pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...