• Show
Clear All
  • Simetrical
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.8.x

Dedicated server needed

Okay, my forum specs are here, eva's opinion on what I needed was
    Originally posted by eva2000
    I'd recommend at least Dual Opteron 246-250 or dual opteron 265 with 2GB memory and scsi disks. Or Dual Intel Xeon 5130 with 2GB ram and scsi disks. The Xeon 5130 is better server if the price is similar if not get the dual opteron 246-250 or 265 with 2Gb memory and scsi disks which ever is better value/$$$ for you.
    So, I've been hunting around for the past few hours. My price range is $300/month max. Currently I'm looking at this server from The Planet (their website is garbage so I can't link to the actual page):
    • Woodcrest 5130 dual core
    • One disk, 146 GB, 10 K RPM, SCSI/SAS
    • CentOS or Red Hat (which should I pick?)
    • 2 GB RAM

That's for $249.00/month. Does this look good? Some people seem to have had mixed experiences with The Planet, but they aren't a must-avoid. Any thoughts?
    System Administrator, Total War Center

Developer, MediaWiki
  • jasonlitka
    • Mar 2006
    • 4.0.x

The Planet is actually a pretty good company. They aren't cheap but the support under fire is top notch.

As to that server, it does not meet the level of the recommendations that eva2000 made and based on the limited info you provided in that other thread, it seems like it's a step down (half the memory, 2 cores vs 4 cores).

Can you provide more detailed information about your current server?
    Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...