X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leo Brazil
    • Nov 2007
    • 3.8.x

Back there a couple of years ago I was one of those highly recomending Global Gold.
    They were really the best back there.
    Now since the were bought by iomart they became just like any other regular crap we can see in this thread.
    During all my years with Global Gold I used to have nothing more 2-3 down times per year and support was always fast to sort it out.
    Now I have a down time always everyday, have to recover my data base my self and when support decided to "help" it's always too late. Even on VPS running always with nothing more than 200 visitors at time, load is always too high.
    Stay way from Global Gold !!

Comment

• KKinsey
      • Jun 2011
      • 4.1.x

Leo --- the "ace" at GG (Tim Dunton) moved to nimbushosting.co.uk --- you might give him a try if having your server in the UK isn't a big deal.

Comment

• Leo Brazil
        • Nov 2007
        • 3.8.x

Thanks Kinsey, I'm already in touch with him and may be work on a solution. I've moved to GG back in time all because Tim's support and probably will follow him again.

Comment

• mavortium
          • Apr 2007
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Leo Brazil
          Thanks Kinsey, I'm already in touch with him and may be work on a solution. I've moved to GG back in time all because Tim's support and probably will follow him again.
          I'm sorry but GG was going down the toilet in terms of service quality long before Tim Dunton left/sold the company. I wonder how long the "top quality" of nimbus will last before we've got another repeat of GG.

Comment

• Randy2
            • Feb 2012
            • 1.1.x

I'm already in touch with him and may be work on a solution.

Comment

• Gearslut
              • Dec 2002

Tim took the best of GG with him when he left - so Nimbus is "lean and mean" and built for speed!

Tim knows more about my forum stats than I do!

VERY contentious service, always tweaking to make speed improvements with newly released technologies.

A +++++ service IMHO

Comment

• TreInJapan
                • Feb 2012

I'm looking for options available for my hosting needs....The unique thing for me is that I'm in Japan and all my users will be in Japan, but anything computer-related in this country is about 10 years behind the West, so I'm looking for good, speedy, reliable hosting that won't have issues with Japan. From what I read on here, either Nimbus or URLJet seem to be pretty solid, though some of the comments are quite old. Can any current users comment or recommend any other hosts?

(I'm just starting my forum, and it's currently hosted on iPage while we get all the kinks worked out...Hoping to grow the forum very rapidly in the coming years though!)

Comment

• donald1234
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by TreInJapan
                  I'm looking for options available for my hosting needs....The unique thing for me is that I'm in Japan and all my users will be in Japan, but anything computer-related in this country is about 10 years behind the West, so I'm looking for good, speedy, reliable hosting that won't have issues with Japan. From what I read on here, either Nimbus or URLJet seem to be pretty solid, though some of the comments are quite old. Can any current users comment or recommend any other hosts?

(I'm just starting my forum, and it's currently hosted on iPage while we get all the kinks worked out...Hoping to grow the forum very rapidly in the coming years though!)
                  I am very surprised to hear that you think Japan is 10 years behind western countries, I was under the impression that Japan was very up to date tech wise what with big companies like Sony.

Comment

• TreInJapan
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by donald1234
                    I am very surprised to hear that you think Japan is 10 years behind western countries, I was under the impression that Japan was very up to date tech wise what with big companies like Sony.
                    In terms of technology, it's not necessarily 10 years behind, but in terms of web development and internet knowledge of the average Joe, it is 10 years behind. Many big company's websites look like 8th grader's C++ projects, and most software is a joke.

Comment

• donald1234
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 4.1.x

there is a small time penalty by hosting your forum in the us or elsewhere as it takes time for your local users to connect to a server over seas. also major search engines like google give you an seo bonus in your local search engines eg www.google.jp if your site is hosted in Japan. If eg you host in the us google will give you more prominence in the us (.com) search engine as they will think that is your target audience.

Comment

• TreInJapan
                        • Feb 2012

donald1234,
                        Based on your input, I did some research. And, as expected, the services available either 1)Suck or 2)Are too expensive or 3)Add all this other bullcrap you either don't want or don't need. And on top of that, vBulletin is SUPER rare here, so I'm pretty sure most tech support won't be able to help much if something weird happens.

This is a country where your ISP demands that you install their antivirus software on your computer to be able to connect, and commercials NEVER display website URLs, they just tell you how to search for their page to find it.

Comment

• donald1234
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 4.1.x

You are right of course that vbulletin is a us designed software and it shouldn't be a surprise that most of the dedicated vb hosts are in the us. I didn't say that I didn't believe there are no decent hosts in Japan, I only said that I was surprised there are none.

Comment

• AusPhotography
                            • Nov 2007

We have tried Virtuozzo (hostgator), HyperV (arvixe) and XEN (photonvps.com) based VPS services over the last year.
                            By far the XEN from Photon is the best.

Kym
                            environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
                            Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• freewings2
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TreInJapan
                              From what I read on here, either Nimbus or URLJet seem to be pretty solid, though some of the comments are quite old. Can any current users comment or recommend any other hosts?

I started with URLJet and am still with them after a little over 2 years. Been very happy, no plans to move. Nice to have the vbulletin support if/when you need it.

Comment

• Kung
                                • May 2007
                                • 3.6.x

We were previously with SoftLayer; however, we noticed a distinct lack of service. And I'm not talking about the standard level of service - I'm well aware that unmanaged means unmanaged. We'd pay $3 for assistance with issues, and get told "try adjusting max_connections" when I'd done that before. When repeating that I'd done that before, I'd get back "Adjust that - I really think that will work." And would then be told that for further issues I'd need to submit another paid request.

Despite having never heard of either GG or Tim @ Nimbus Hosting, I was struck by the fact that almost NO ONE has anything bad to say about either Tim or Nimbus Hosting. After quite a lengthy discussion with Tim, and numerous questions, we decided to take the plunge, and I can tell you that the money is WELL worth it. Despite having moved from a dedicated server to a cloud solution, it moves TONS faster, both due to the quality of the hardware and the configuration; and Tim and others have fixed issues that, frankly, I probably should have paid for (and offered to in one or two cases). I HIGHLY recommend them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...