X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gopherhockey
    • Jul 2002
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Zachery
    Did you give them a chance to move you to a new server? It could have been a provision issue with their scripts or a tech making a mistake.
    They researched moving me to a new server, then they ended up putting my IP in their firewall to not restrict ftp access, but that didn't help either. I only have 500 megs of data to upload and in 12 hours it still hadn't finished.

Just the idea of having to move me around between servers or removing restrictions tells me I'm headed for the same issues I already have with my current provider. There was no way I was going to risk moving our regular site there only to impact our users more.

Too bad, I thought I had found my new home. The search continues...
    www.morcmtb.org

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

Sounds ridiculous to me.

I had a friend who was hosted (against his better judgement and my strong opposition) at one of those silly iMac farms that is so different from Apache/Linux as to be almost insurmountably complicated.

After a month of wrestling and failing to get the necessary access to run such basic commands as mysqldump, chmod, and chown, we got the hell out of there.

I SSHed in, FTPed from one server into the other, downloaded the Gzipped file at 10Mbps server-to-server, and had a 2 GB site moved and running in less than 3 hours.

Comment

• gbhedges
        • Oct 2006
        • 3.6.x

Host : Avahost Ltd
        Homepage : www.avahost.net
        Plans : range from $9 to $20 but I'm in the UK so £5 to £15
        Good Bits :
        • cPanel X powered!
        • Sub Domain support
        • PHP, Perl and other script support
        • 1gb is the web space for the cheapest plan which is good if you ask me
        bad bits :
        • Downtime is sooooo bad! If an error occurs on your FTP program in the middle of uploading files to your server then the whole thing just crashes and goes into downtime, You have to disconnect your internet for it to work again
        • Support takes days
        • Setup took 5 days for me.....
        So at the end of it, Its a good hosting company but needs improvments

Comment

• Crow
          • Jan 2004
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by gopherhockey
          So many suggestions on asmallorange.com I went with them today.

Things were so slow I couldn't even ftp my files to the site. I contacted support and the first thing they wanted to do was move me to a new server.

No thanks.

Another provider that has gotten too big for their own good perhaps?
          Couldn't agree with you more, I went with these guys last night because of all the great hosts comments they gotten here and vb.org, well my sites been on there servers for alittle more then 24 hours but the uptime of my sites been 10 hours max, I hate to bash a hosting company but ASO sucks, stay away from them, they might of been good at one time but now they are ****.

Comment

• TheJaxx
            • Jun 2001
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by King Internet
            Don't go with Site5, I've been with them for 3 years now and while they were awesome at the start they are getting worse and worse. They blacklisted my forum without explanation and Customer Support takes 4 hours per email.

http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=11917 More information here, or read recent reviews at http://www.webhostingjury.com/reviews/site5 - the one by is Kay Eichai is -spot on-.
            I've been using them for over a year and have had a few problems, things that were taking care of pretty fast. This could be because i'm on a reseller plan, so not as many accounts on the server.

I've heard complaints from people using the shared hosting and that is where you will run into problems. Script kiddies and all the scripts they use.
            Jaxx
            Ahazi dot Org
            EQ2's Nektulos Community

Comment

• G3MM4
              • Apr 2004
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by gopherhockey
              They researched moving me to a new server, then they ended up putting my IP in their firewall to not restrict ftp access, but that didn't help either. I only have 500 megs of data to upload and in 12 hours it still hadn't finished.

Just the idea of having to move me around between servers or removing restrictions tells me I'm headed for the same issues I already have with my current provider. There was no way I was going to risk moving our regular site there only to impact our users more.

Too bad, I thought I had found my new home. The search continues...
              Well I must say I've had absolutely no problems with them at all and I'm in my second month with them now. Why can't you just give them a chance, seeing that they were setting up new servers anyway? Even if it's only while you are looking for another host.
              Jeez... I can't believe my post count mostly consists of questions! :eek:

Comment

• "HeRo"
                • Nov 2006
                • 3.6.x

thankes for that topic

Comment

• lottidah
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Crow
                  Couldn't agree with you more, I went with these guys last night because of all the great hosts comments they gotten here and vb.org, well my sites been on there servers for alittle more then 24 hours but the uptime of my sites been 10 hours max, I hate to bash a hosting company but ASO sucks, stay away from them, they might of been good at one time but now they are ****.
                  Agree completely. Have been with them for nearly a year and it's getting worse by the minute. My site has been down 14 times in the past 3 weeks. They happily get the server going again but refuse to fix the problem. They suck and I'm really upset that I moved my forum there.

Comment

• jbandes
                    • Mar 2006

I have two 1and1 accounts. One Microsoft and One Unix. Both are 19 dollars a month. Yes the Tech support is awful but the servers are NEVER EVER down and where are you going to get 250 GIGS of storage space for that price. That means I have a total of 500 Gig of storage for 40 Bucks a month. The only down side is the My SQL database is limited to 100MB which is why I am looking for another host for my vB board.

Originally posted by SirTalksalot
                    Ouch that is bad Kyle,

I'm currently with 1and1, and I am most likely moving to ASO as soon as I can. Their CS is easily the worst I have ever experience, and there are many restrictions that they fail to mention until after you have signed up. I have contacted the Advertising Standards Agency, and await their reply with interest as I believe their adverts in this respect are misleading.

If you join 1and1, expect them to not be able to care less about you. When I wrote a letter to them expressing my disappointment and threatening to find a better host, I got yet another cut and paste reply; this one was explaining how I go about cancelling my account.

I get constant database errors through, and when I phoned up they said, "is it working now?",
                    to which I said, "yes",
                    only for them to reply, "so what's your problem?". I asked that they look into the constant problems, and they promised to look into it and email me with the results, neither of which they bothered to do. When I complained about this, I got my first hand typed reply explaining that "crashes happen", and that I would have to deal with it basically. No doubt that reply has now been added to their cut n'paste library.

AVOID 1and1 like you would the plague!

Comment

• Neises
                      • May 2001
                      • 3.5.x

Add me to the list of those who've been with ASO for a year and unhappy.

Comment

• SmEdD
                        • Feb 2003

Stay clear of http://www.streamlinenet.co.uk/

This host seemed to have a nice deal (unlimited bandwidth) so my friend got a package with them, well that was a wrong mistake. So many things they keep you out of and you have to work with their home made buggy cp and get them to create MySQL DB's for you as they don't give you the rights.

This is the best part and the MAJOR reason to stay away from them as vBulletin 3.5 or later will not work right.

Originally posted by StreamLineNet Support
                        Hi **** ****,

Thanks for your query.

Unfortunately lock tables is not one of the privileges allowed on our MySQL databases, please see the following page for more information:

We hope your Wednesday is a good one, have you seen our new Search Engine Submission product?

Kind Regards,
                        Support Department
                        Streamline.Net - The home of good value web hosting
                        --------------------------

Dark-Rising.co.uk is registered by us.
                        Dark-Rising.co.uk is on our hosting system.
                        --------

Can we please get the permission to use the LOCK and UNLOCK commands in MySQL.

I don't see why these are not already allowed as they are major parts of MySQL and pose no more risk then what is already allowed.

Comment

• G3MM4
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 3.7.x

The "unlimited" part of the deal should have been a major indicator of why this hosting company is not one to go for.
                          Jeez... I can't believe my post count mostly consists of questions! :eek:

Comment

• Zia
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 3.6.x

Host : www.siteground.com

FREE Domain
                            40,000 MB Space new!
                            900 GB Traffic new!
                            99.9% Server Uptime
                            15 min Response Time
                            24/7 Top Customer Care
                            CPanel and Fantastico
                            Immediate Activation

They are advertising a lot..a gimic..

but dont be misguided..once u sign-up u have pay $ in every single steps..
                            and They will Kill ur SITE ..
                            in vbulletin 3.6.3 with 2 user 2 guest there server load always 10~12
                            ur site will shutted down or ERROR 500

BE AWARE of siteground.com

Comment

• feldon23
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.7.x

Most of the reviews at WebHostingTalk.com for Siteground have turned negative in the last 3-4 months.

Comment

• Warlock40
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by jbandes
                                I have two 1and1 accounts. One Microsoft and One Unix. Both are 19 dollars a month. Yes the Tech support is awful but the servers are NEVER EVER down and where are you going to get 250 GIGS of storage space for that price. That means I have a total of 500 Gig of storage for 40 Bucks a month. The only down side is the My SQL database is limited to 100MB which is why I am looking for another host for my vB board.
                                I made the mistake of setting up with them.

Yes this is a great dumping ground for photos or anything that requires large space.

NOT a forum based web site.

Yes your limited to 100megs per database but beyond that your limited to 18 connections per database.

This is totally useless and slows down even the quiet sites.

I'm looking to a vps to run my site and recommendations.
                                Need at least 5 gigs of storage. Want something I DON"T have to change in a year

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...