Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Host experiences and testimonials thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • picky, Do you really have any idea what you are talking about?
    Real Web Host

    Comment


    • NetHostStore.com for me.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by StuRed View Post
        Nightmare and a very pitiful service all around. More downtime than a sleeping dog under a shade tree. Customer support is one lie built on top of another. Just facts from my experience. I dumped them after giving them every opportunity to come clean.

        https://dreamhost.com/
        Unfortunately I have to agree 100% with this.

        I had so many downtimes with them and after one year with them I decided to change. I was a sleeping dog at the beginning with them but at end was more nightmares than dreams.

        The last fight with their support was they got me 3 days without any access at all, I mean, I could even access MySQL or FTP because I was getting "Error 28" on everything and I was on their VPS and paying for more memory and resources that I'd ever need for sure.

        After 3 days reporting this "Error 28" on my database that finally crashed because of it, the only answer I could get from them was "Increase your memory resources" or "your database is OK the problem is on your side" one good soul decided to ready my sentences instead of giving me an automatic answer like those and said "Ops, you're reporting "Error 28" and this is from our side for sure".

        I don't recommend them at all !!!

        Edit: The only thing I have to agree is their control panel is really impressive and giving you a lot of usefull information. It's really hard to believe that a host with that amazing control panel could do that to me.

        Comment


        • I don't recommend using oxxus.net as they constantly have server problems.

          Site ground is also terrible. Plenty of downtime there as well.

          I am currently looking around for a new host.
          Aussiefootyforums

          New Site New forum
          Come and talk sports all day long


          Comment


          • Sour Grapes

            Originally posted by lefthome View Post
            Site:

            Code:
            http://www.yourdomainsname.net
            Run by a Dr. Darrell Ridley out of Australia claims he offers un-metered space and un-metered traffic all for the silly price of US$9.95 per month.

            Pro's

            Un-metered Space!
            Un-metered Traffic!
            Unlimited sub-domains
            Unlimited MySQL databases
            Custom Error pages
            Affiliate programs
            No Start-up Fees!
            99.9% Server Up time
            PHP, Perl and all other scripts, as necessary
            C-Panel Powered
            1 day Activation

            CON'S

            Of course, I was skeptical regarding the un-metered claims so I wrote the owner a letter stating exactly what I needed in relation to space and traffic I expected to have after the site was fully operational. I told him I needed to operate two sites. The first was for messages using approximately 5 gigs space and 20 gigs of traffic monthly. The second site was being used as a private ftp storage space for member files and that required approximately 50 -100 gigs of space with 70-80 gigs traffic. I went as far as telling the owner I was willing to pay extra for the storage of the files. He declined claiming the site offer un-metered traffic and space….RIGHT!

            Yea, I knew it was likely too good to be true and it turns out to be true but even worse as this guy is a con and fake! Ridley terminated the site without warning claiming I was slowing down their computers due to the amount of space I was using. Ridley refuses to refund the advance payments made...Dummy me!
            This guy was terminated because he was spamming and selling illegal copies of movies. I worked for Dr. Ridley when this happened. Sounds like sour grapes to me!

            Comment


            • GoDaddy

              I've been with GoDaddy for many years and NEVER had any problems with them. However, true, I use them for ecommerce websites, nothing complicated. My sites get maybe 100 unique visitors each per day, and about 10% of them buy something. I use pay per click (Google and Yahoo) to get them to my sites, and also free SEO but I am a firm believer in pay per click - my products are unique and I have brilliant verbiage and awesome marketing on my sites that gets people to buy like crazy.

              My sites have never ever been down with GoDaddy not even for a second to my knowledge, and I use their cheapest economy plans which I prepaid and got down to below four dollars month.


              Okay now I want to put up a vbulletin website. I was admin on a previous site and know the ropes as far as how to create the site. My site will start off with very little traffic but eventually build to about 20 - 30 visitors logged in at a time, maximum. My site will start out with a few thousand posts, and go from there.

              Now I want to host it. I see some people saying GoDaddy sucks, others saying that the "small fry" are just subsets (resellers?) of the big fish like GoDaddy.

              If GoDaddy sucks for vbulletin, WHY does it suck, and has anyone actually used GoDaddy lately?

              And if one of the small hosting companies is better, why?


              I do know I used one of those smaller hosting companies before getting to GoDaddy (granted, this was almost five years ago), and they were EXPENSIVE and had a fair amount of down time. And then when I cancelled with them they tried to charge me some massive amount for cancellation, and kept billing me even though I was long gone and within my rights to cancel. Nothing like that would ever happen with GoDaddy I am sure of it.

              Comment


              • hi, first post for me. I'm hosted with bluehost and they've been great so far, i haven't had any problems which is great I was looking at hostgator as well, they've had great reviews so thats another good option. i haven't tried godaddy but i may in the future. btw i love vbulletin, great software

                Comment


                • Originally posted by vB Crew View Post
                  I have been running vbulletin sites for over 5 years. I started out with Real Web Host in the beginning. Then I got conservative and tried to get the most bandwidth and storage for a buck. I bounced from one host to another. This ended up being a major headache. I encountered way to much down time, lost a couple of databases, and the support I was needed was not there. Having paying advertisers and members that visit multiple times a day, I decided I had to go back to a reliable host. So...I went back to RealWebHost, and have been with them for over 3 years now. You pay for what you get.

                  I have a resellers account with RWH.

                  Pros
                  My uptime is around 99.9%
                  24/7 support
                  Joey has expierence with vBulletin. - He helped me out with an issue or two that I created.
                  Speed!

                  Cons
                  Price - I could get hosting cheaper at other places, but I will never go down that road again.
                  Personally I dont think the price is at all bad for the service that we recieve. I have also just switched to real web host from previously being on asmallorange.

                  1. Had problems with moving my database over. Joey offered to move everything for me if I gave him details to my old account at asmallorange. Came downstairs in the morning after pulling my hair out at night to find that Joey had moved all my files, database, emails, email addresses, parked domains etc etc.... That to me is going above and beyond to provide an excellent service.
                  2. When I first moved over the server had a small php issue that needed resolving inn order for me to get back online. With a support ticket, I had a response within 5 mins by 'TWO' of the tech support team. The problem was sorted very quickly and very satisfactorily.
                  3. My forum has never been as fast as what it currently is on real web hosts.

                  So you'd think I'm probably on the same kind of account as above. NOPE.. I'm on shared, and a fairly cheap $20 a month one too. Would recommend to anyone, and if you guys read these keep up the good work.
                  Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by MDawg View Post
                    I've been with GoDaddy for many years and NEVER had any problems with them. However, true, I use them for ecommerce websites, nothing complicated. My sites get maybe 100 unique visitors each per day, and about 10% of them buy something. I use pay per click (Google and Yahoo) to get them to my sites, and also free SEO but I am a firm believer in pay per click - my products are unique and I have brilliant verbiage and awesome marketing on my sites that gets people to buy like crazy.

                    My sites have never ever been down with GoDaddy not even for a second to my knowledge, and I use their cheapest economy plans which I prepaid and got down to below four dollars month.


                    Okay now I want to put up a vbulletin website. I was admin on a previous site and know the ropes as far as how to create the site. My site will start off with very little traffic but eventually build to about 20 - 30 visitors logged in at a time, maximum. My site will start out with a few thousand posts, and go from there.

                    Now I want to host it. I see some people saying GoDaddy sucks, others saying that the "small fry" are just subsets (resellers?) of the big fish like GoDaddy.

                    If GoDaddy sucks for vbulletin, WHY does it suck, and has anyone actually used GoDaddy lately?

                    And if one of the small hosting companies is better, why?


                    I do know I used one of those smaller hosting companies before getting to GoDaddy (granted, this was almost five years ago), and they were EXPENSIVE and had a fair amount of down time. And then when I cancelled with them they tried to charge me some massive amount for cancellation, and kept billing me even though I was long gone and within my rights to cancel. Nothing like that would ever happen with GoDaddy I am sure of it.
                    I'm hosting Vbulletin with godaddy. No problems what so ever on shared hosting...
                    If you are planning to have a VDS or a dedicated server be prepared for some change Godaddy have different setups... so there is a lerning curve there... but other than that yes, go with the big fish at least there is something to sue for just in case

                    Comment


                    • Nixism Web Hosting

                      I host a very successful vBulletin forum with Nixism Web Hosting.

                      They aren't perfect, I have had minimal problems with them. They answer all my support tickets in a timely fashion. They do not offer 24 hour support, but it seems as if they always have a live support agent available for most of the day, and they respond to tickets and emails quickly.

                      I have been hosting with them for 4 months now, and will continue to do so. I host all my sites with them, and tell all my friends about them. They are a little on the expensive side, but I don't mind.. I know I am a paying for quality, because I get quality in return.

                      I love Nixism.

                      Comment


                      • Host :URLJET
                        Link :www.urljet.com

                        Pros
                        • 100 % Managed . Guarrantted
                        • Optimised Vbulletin performance with LiteSpeed Web Servers
                        • Reasonable Plans
                        • 100% Uptime Proved by HostTracker.
                        • Hourly Backup & easy restore with File Guardian.
                        • Vbulletin professionals.
                        • 100% Secure


                        Cons
                        • nothing i noticed yet.

                        I bet URLJET the best for Vbulletin Forums.

                        Comment


                        • We've just moved exeweb.com to GlobalGold.

                          Previously we were using a non-specialist host, Demon (formerly) DSVR. On Friday night everything died and it wasn't something I could fix. I put in a support ticket, and I still have not had a reply. Evidently in spite of costing twice what I'm paying GlobalGold, Demon don't do tech support on weekends.

                          I emailed GlobalGold with my requirements at mid-day Saturday. By 1:30pm I had seen enough to want to sign up, and by 2:30pm Tim had moved exeweb.com onto his servers and got it up and running.

                          GlobalGold did all the work of moving exeweb.com, and did it quickly even though it was a weekend.

                          Good price, expertise, service... The forum is much faster now too.

                          Of course it has only been a day so far, but what I've seen leaves me in little doubt that things are going to be going just fine from here on.
                          Last edited by Juggling Monkey; Sun 22nd Feb '09, 11:32am.

                          Comment


                          • Using LiquidWeb for hosting on a VPS.

                            Have 3 different clients each running vBulletin on the server.

                            Been with them for almost 18 months.

                            Had one major issue that was resolved.

                            I have GREAT technical support for doing things like adding modules, updates, how to requests... one of the best for Linux type hosting. (They have Windows, but I haven't used it) "Heroic Support" is an understatement.

                            One thing that put them ahead of others is that they even admit mistakes. Something that most ISPs don't. The mistakes were during a discussion of an issue.. not something that they did to my server.

                            From their site "Liquid Web's Heroic Support® provides 24/7/365 access to level 3 engineers by phone or email" - Honestly, they do have that. I usually like to use email or their web interface to send in tickets, but when I have called, the support via phone was awesome. They even stayed on the line to make sure the situation was complete.

                            Now, most of the interaction with their support team has been making tweaks, or updating modules. A lot of stuff that I probably could do, but not once did they say "do it yourself," however, when I asked, they would explain how I could do it myself.

                            Oh, I guess I should point out what the major issue was =P

                            One of my domains was getting THOUSANDS of email requests per minute (sometimes over 1,000 per SECOND!) and the server was not enjoying the blast. We had to work on the situation to get it resolved but it really wasn't something that LiquidWeb did, but that honestly the VPS was underpowered to handle millions of email requests. I could have gone with a more powerful server, but I just abandoned the domain eventually.

                            My favorite Windows host that I have personally used is MaximumASP, but I am no longer running any .NET sites so I am not currently with them.
                            R. Moose
                            vBulletin 4.1.x Suite

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Juggling Monkey View Post
                              We've just moved exeweb.com to GlobalGold.

                              Previously we were using a non-specialist host, Demon (formerly) DSVR. On Friday night everything died and it wasn't something I could fix. I put in a support ticket, and I still have not had a reply. Evidently in spite of costing twice what I'm paying GlobalGold, Demon don't do tech support on weekends.

                              I emailed GlobalGold with my requirements at mid-day Saturday. By 1:30pm I had seen enough to want to sign up, and by 2:30pm Tim had moved exeweb.com onto his servers and got it up and running.

                              GlobalGold did all the work of moving exeweb.com, and did it quickly even though it was a weekend.

                              Good price, expertise, service... The forum is much faster now too.

                              Of course it has only been a day so far, but what I've seen leaves me in little doubt that things are going to be going just fine from here on.
                              I think I'm about to move to GlobalGold, I've been speaking to Tim today in email and he's responded very quickly.

                              There are so many posts praising them on here, and they do seem to know what they are talking about.

                              I'm always really cautious with moving hosts, I'm currently only on my second since 2002. But I'm having server load problems with the current ones, they aren't trying to rip me off but I just think we've outgrown them. So I'm 90% heading for GlobalGold at the moment.
                              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                              TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.1 Demo
                              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                                I think I'm about to move to GlobalGold, I've been speaking to Tim today in email and he's responded very quickly.

                                There are so many posts praising them on here, and they do seem to know what they are talking about.

                                I'm always really cautious with moving hosts, I'm currently only on my second since 2002. But I'm having server load problems with the current ones, they aren't trying to rip me off but I just think we've outgrown them. So I'm 90% heading for GlobalGold at the moment.
                                Well I sure killed this thread stone dead!

                                Anyway, I have gone with Globalgold, they switched us over this morning very efficiently and now we're up and running and it really is astonishingly fast.

                                We've gone onto a their VPS plan.
                                Last edited by Mark.B; Sun 1st Mar '09, 1:29pm.
                                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                                TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.1 Demo
                                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X