X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marc Smith
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.6.x

Do you have a fully managed dedicated with realwebhost?

Comment

• sross
      • Mar 2004

Hi, yes, I don't have to touch it, it's fully managed 24x7 support. This would have cost me a bloomin fortune from companies like servermatrix, but realwebhost has good boxes on offer, a great datacenter, killer support, I'm a very happy camper right now. I even decided today that for a little more money they will move me to a dedicated dual 2.8ghz hyperthreading 2gig ram box. Sounds to good to be true but I've been with these guys for a while and they have never even come close to letting me down..

Comment

• Marc Smith
        • Aug 2001
        • 3.6.x

Yeah - I've got a servermatrix box but it's not managed. It's real cheap, actually. What costs is the management. I switched servers recently because I had problems with 2 fellas who tried to upgrade (Apache, MySQL and PHP) my old server. It was a problem to set up 14 months ago and I think it was a 'bad' provisioning of that server. Anyway, When I checked server costs I went ahead and got a cheaper server (by 50 bucks a month) that's faster than the one I was on and got serverwizards to set it up. So far serverwizards has been cheap and very good and fast. They transferred everything (not a cpanel server - plain old FreeBSD) and everything was transferred and working within 3 hours on a sunday evening.

Since once everything is set up my server is pretty stable and I can do the 'tweaking' and other 'little' things, I don't need management full time so this solution works out much cheaper for me.

Realwebhost looks like a good managed solution for most folks, though. I looked at them I the past but they were too $ for me at the time.

Comment

• sross
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Marc Smith
          Yeah - I've got a servermatrix box but it's not managed. It's real cheap, actually. What costs is the management. I switched servers recently because I had problems with 2 fellas who tried to upgrade (Apache, MySQL and PHP) my old server. It was a problem to set up 14 months ago and I think it was a 'bad' provisioning of that server. Anyway, When I checked server costs I went ahead and got a cheaper server (by 50 bucks a month) that's faster than the one I was on and got serverwizards to set it up. So far serverwizards has been cheap and very good and fast. They transferred everything (not a cpanel server - plain old FreeBSD) and everything was transferred and working within 3 hours on a sunday evening.

Since once everything is set up my server is pretty stable and I can do the 'tweaking' and other 'little' things, I don't need management full time so this solution works out much cheaper for me.

Realwebhost looks like a good managed solution for most folks, though. I looked at them I the past but they were too $ for me at the time.
          Sounds like you are good to go then. I myself am "most folks", so I don't have the time or know how to upgrade server apps and resolve issues if they happen. I don't really like how some of these dedicated server farm companies have their plans setup. It's like $89 dedicated servers! The you go to the config page and before you know it the thing is configed to $500 for everything you need. at RWH they work on a quote basis, so you contact them discuss your site, they then say 'we have one of these servers available with this this and this, fully managed, will cost you this..'. I find it more of a personal touch..

Comment

• Alex Goodspeed
            • May 2001

I'm using ROUTHOST at least two years and I'm totaly satisfacted. I have nothing to say bad about this company. Oh, may be one suspicious thing -their low prices. I didn't expect too much from hosting for 2.95. But I was wrong.

Their support simply the best: fast & friendly. Nice hosting features: I like unlimited email boxes and ftp accounts. Awsome sitebuilder software.

Routhost, probably the best hosting company ever I have deal with. Oh forgot the link: www.routhost.com.

Comment

• irocracer
              • Mar 2003

ServerTweak.com - http://www.servertweak.com

Server Specs: Pentium 4 servers that run CentOS 3.4

Pros:

* Fast loading times.
              * Haven't had any down time yet, so i say 99.9
              * Prices are great
              * Support to my newbie question very fast.
              * Good Billing support
              * DirectAdmin Control Panel
              * I live in san jose, so there local to me

Cons:
              * notthing yet , so far so good,

I am Super Happy, and my site is super fast

Comment

• dutchbb
                • Nov 2003
                • 3.8.x

weak support

Originally posted by JPT62089
                VizaWebs bandwidth is monthly. Dont think that they underprice and offer horrible support. They dont. Their support is awesome
                Well we noticed.

Their support is weak!! What would anyone here do if they paid for a semi dedicated server and did NOT get support at all during the day?
                That's right, NO support at all during the day. This guy must be working from the attic after his real job or something, he answers emails only from 17:00 to 23:00 in the evening.

I wish a had never listened to your advise cause this cost us a yearly payment and nothing but trouble so far.
                Yesterday we asked to restore our databases, that has to be done at night they say, so ok we said ok. Guess what this morning the restore has stopped (again) somewhere in the middle because the server has killed it.

My sponsors and members are waiting this whole week but the board is still offline, even my old host delivered better support and service!

So people think again before you choose this one!!
                Last edited by dutchbb; Sun 13 Mar '05, 1:24am.

Comment

• JPT62089
                  • Jun 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by TripleT
                  Well we noticed.

Their support is weak!! What would anyone here do if they paid for a semi dedicated server and did NOT get support at all during the day?
                  That's right, NO support at all during the day. This guy must be working from the attic after his real job or something, he answers emails only from 17:00 to 23:00 in the evening.

I wish a had never listened to your advise cause this cost us a yearly payment and nothing but trouble so far.
                  Yesterday we asked to restore our databases, that has to be done at night they say, so ok we said ok. Guess what this morning the restore has stopped (again) somewhere in the middle because the server has killed it.

My sponsors and members are waiting this whole week but the board is still offline, even my old host delivered better support and service!

So people think again before you choose this one!!
                  It is because VizaWeb is U.S. based. They only have staff in the U.S. So you would have to wait a while to get a response... When I first recommended Vizaweb I did not know you were in the Netherlands.... Next time please post this in your first post instead of waiting until the last minute.

I am sorry for anything 'wrong' I might have done...
                  http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

• xBhp
                    • Jan 2005

call it a coincidence or what, the asmalloranmge servers jus crashed as soon as i joined them, a real heartbreaker, but Tim ( the owner seems to be concerned unlike other hosts....

Comment

• HeadRat
                      • Dec 2004

Globat

Using Globat, it is cheap and easy to use along with work with, BUT it's MySQL server does not seem to be large/strong enough to handle my traffic. I get database error emails out the butt all day long. Some times when people are on the site, especially when they are the only one's on, they get a database error page, then have to refresh, which kicks them out of logged in status, sometimes.

Trying to convince them to upgrade their MySQL server file, but apparently, that is TOO complicated, from what they told me.

Looking elsewhere.

Comment

• Sinbad
                        • Jan 2003

Penguinhost

I wouldn't recommend them, they cannot deliver what they promise.

See here

Comment

• xBhp
                          • Jan 2005

Its quite sad what Vortech.com has becom actually, and its quite sad that we dont do anything againts companies such as Vortech. ( matrixreseller.com )

Consider this :

1. I have a HSPHERE account woith Vortech

2. I decide to shift to PHP / MySQL

3. Vortech says that it will be better to shift to CPANEL as it will be much stable

4. I said ok, ill do that, but grant me 3 days over my billing period on my HSPHERE so that i can at least setup the PHP forum while the users can browse the current ASP forum, i recieved a big "NOT POSSIBLE WITHOUT EXTRA MONEY", i said ok after hvaing a long chat with them on the emails.

5. so i finally shift on CPANEL on VORTECH, just after a few days their server start giving problems

6. they give us things to aim and guess in the dark without any explainations.

7. they sent me an email stating ALL CPANEL USERS PLEASE SHIFT TO HSPHERE" Why? Because Daddy Vortech says so! To hell with the so called stability that CPANEL was supposed to offer.

Next they block my ID and delete my replies from their support firums juct because i was asking them openluy to refund my money.

Now they blatantky refused to refund my money ( plus the money that incurred on getting a new host and uploadung 400 odd MB! )

I have already started a legal battle against these wannabe hosts and contacted VISA, i will get my money back, Vortech reading this?

Comment

• Deaths
                            • Jan 2005

I'd recommend flosoft.biz.

I've been hosted there for a while now (6 months), and I've never had even 1 downtime.
                            They also have a very fast server, and very good support.
                            The domains are a tad bit expensive, but it's worth it.

Comment

• aranthorn
                              • Aug 2004
                              • 3.5.x

Just started using iPower. I have to say their customer service is very nice and polite, but that's about all I can say for it. I guess you get what you pay for...

Celeron 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HD, 1 TB transfer, Plesk Control Panel lic. for 10 domains, Fedora Core 2 and a few freebies for under $70 US/month.

Had to update MySQL and PHP, but after that the server's running like a champ
                              Call no man happy until he is dead - Voltaire

Comment

• JAB Creations
                                • May 2002

A new host I found and LIKE!

I've had my host experiences and I wish I could say observation was something with hosts you could do to see who eats who like if you went out on Safari.

Anyway in regards to shared hosting (I'm not big time like some of you gurus out there, not yet ) but I have to share this...

startlogic.com has 5GB / 100GB (stor./xfer) and they have a good control panel (not cpanel but AT LEAST as good as I have cpanel).

I've setup my client in a snap and the only problem I've had is another user being a retard and somehow disabling something. The tech was all over it like stank on ****. I inquired if it was something that was common and the first thing out of his mouth was, "If you want us to put you on a different box give me an hour". That was music to my ears! I had globat a couple years ago and after loosing 600 members and thousands of posts becuase they refused to even put me on a different server and fix the settings...

I've battered five of the techs with some decent questions and I must say at least I am impressed and I am not one easily impressed. Their response time is not bad during the day and only a couple 10 minute waits out of several calls during the night.

The bandwidth and storage initially raised my eye but after a couple weeks and a site that is demanding in what the server must supply I'm hooked.
                                John Bilicki III
                                Webmaster of JAB Creations

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...