X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cruz
    • Apr 2001

Dedicated Solutions under $100?

Hey again -
    My current situation is grim. I have a website that averages about 100 concurrent users, with the lowest at about 50. I am on a shared server right now (YES, I know thats bad) but the problem isnt that the server is slow. Its just that we use way too many resources, and it ends up killing the server. Now I am asking anyone for dedicated solutions. I can afford up to 100 a month, and I need at least 30GB of transfers. So far rackshack.net seems to be the best choice, but I wanted to know about other options as well!
    Thanks in advance
  • Brian
    • Apr 2000

Possibly a RSE acct by OLM.net
    << This Space Intentionally Left Blank >>

Comment

• JoshFink
      • Feb 2001

For $79.95 you CAN get a Reseller account at OLM.NET and use the server all for yourself.

You get 2GB of storage. 35GB of transfer and I guess you could resell any space you don't use and make a buck or two.

OLM.NET

Comment

• Christophe_O
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JoshFink
        For $79.95 you CAN get a Reseller account at OLM.NET and use the server all for yourself.

You get 2GB of storage. 35GB of transfer and I guess you could resell any space you don't use and make a buck or two.

OLM.NET
        By coincidence, RSE at OLM is exactly what I am doing. Just starting now---found this thread by a search on olm.net, just in case anyone has any complaints....

I got several error messages running the vB setup. Called OLM, sent them to the page, and they fixed all the settings. Good thing 'cause I can't even understand what it says..... Also, must put vB into a "forums" folder.... otherwise "admin" folder ends up on same path as OLM default for log-in, won't work right... then just follow instructions, that's about it.

I am reading other posts about security problems from shared servers, especially venturesonline.com --- a highly recommended host but that seems targeted by a vB hacker, and only seems to give terse replies to the problem. I mentioned this to olm 24-hr tech support---he even came to this forum and read some of the posts. Of course, can not expect they'll have time to do this---depends on who happens to be on duty---but this is good service by any measure.

Note: OLM's RSE is not a "true" dedicated server but a "dedicated environment"--i.e., you do share with a few others, but not dozens, and there is greater separation.

I am starting with RSE-1---$60/month, only 20GB transfer. Not big enough, I know---but can upgrade instantly as soon as needed---just as high as needed. The control panel is more complicated---2 panels in fact---must "sell myself an account" to get running---several little headaches for someone like me who knows nothing---but called tech support and got through it..... Would NOT recommend "reselling" tho unless you know what you're doing---unlike me---(get called in the middle of the night, "my site's down mister,"-----yaaahhhh!!!)

Also, OLM has "true" dedicated servers as low as $120/month.

OLM is known for working with all sizes sites running replicators since 1990 or so---so I figured they can do anything, and also can not be too trigger-happy to shut you down if one of your members spams without your knowledge. etc., etc. I am not experienced---but for over a year have researched OLM vs. other options---not found a bad word. There are cheaper places----but if you want to be sure of always the latest and the best, for reputation and quality and price you can count on OLM always being extemely competitive.

And one more thing, equally important: you can count on OLM always "being." (Not likely to suddenly belly-up on you someday.)
        sigpic Krystof
        Starnectar Free Forums

Comment

• The Prohacker
          • Apr 2001
          • 3.8.x

If you don't see an offer your like, you can always post a request for offers here:

Of course, you'll want to do a search on WHT and see what the public opion of the company is before you go with them...

Good luck!

Comment

• complx.net
            • Jul 2002

We currently have a $99/month plan at www.complx.net for colocation if you have the option of sending off a server

Comment

• Cruz
              • Apr 2001

I am letting you all know that I am hosting on rackshack.net....they are by far one of the best deals around, 400 gigs of transfers per month, plus GREAT support, service and pricing!
              Got lucky and managed to get a great server config with 1$ startup

Comment

• Christophe_O
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cruz
                400 gigs of transfers per month, plus GREAT support, service and pricing!
                Sounds good. Hope it outlasts the honeymoon. Let us know every few months how it goes!
                sigpic Krystof
                Starnectar Free Forums

Comment

• FlyBoy73
                  • May 2002

Originally posted by Cruz
                  I am letting you all know that I am hosting on rackshack.net....they are by far one of the best deals around, 400 gigs of transfers per month, plus GREAT support, service and pricing!
                  I've been hearing that the service is definitely NOT great. Down right scary. Do a search here and it should pull up a bunch of info.

Comment

• Bubble
                    • Apr 2002

only use RS if you KNOW what you are doing. They WILL NOT offer any support AT ALL.

Comment

• kaos
                      • Sep 2002

ah yes, my friend used rackshack,and the people there dont know what they are doing at all

he hosted a site that used 300 gigs of bandwidth in one night (apparently they were hosting warez and they got hotlinked by some huge site or something)

needless to say he flipped out

Comment

• JoshFink
                        • Feb 2001

I got a server at webreseller.net and have never had a problem. Their helpdesk has always been very helpful and answered and fixed problems that they didn't need to.

Josh

Comment

• biolight
                          • Jun 2001

Webreseller.net sucks

They're down right now. They're not answering their phones, and they don't have any off-network sites so there is no way to pull up their support, home page, or find out anything about why all of my important clients are waking up to no email this morning.

I have about 300 sites with them, and I just bought equipment yesterday to put in a new colocation because their reliability has just been awful. This when their service level agreement says that "WebReseller.Net guarantees network availability of 99.9999% in a given month, excluding scheduled maintenance. Network is considered unavailable if there is a 100% packet loss from WebReseller.Net to its backbone providers."

I can say that they have yet to acheive anything close to their SLA.

Support is pretty responsive (generally < 6 hours).

They have very serious occasional outages, including one 18+ hour outage this year where the official word was that there was a car that caught on fire at the outside trunk, and the fibre was literally melted (yea right). Reliability has been at one nine or less -- hardly something you can build a business on.

My vote after being with them more than a year: thumb down. I'm getting off the boat.

If you want to get a solution for $99 or less, find a VPS solution that fits your bill. That's a nice easy way to get started and build your way up to dedicated without killing yourself.

Rackshack.net is not even an option, as basically they run desktop systems for their inexpensive servers, which is why they're so cheap. Bad business models. Those types of systems are not designed to run 24x7x365.
                          Last edited by biolight; Fri 19 Sep '03, 7:53am.

Comment

• Steph
                            • Jun 2001

Have you considered private servers? Ive got one with ilonhosting.com (formerly remarkable hosting) and I pay less than $100, plenty of space with the feel of a dedicated server.

Comment

• Joe
                              • May 2000

Whats with all the old threads?
                              Bike Forums.net

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...