Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajwuzhere
    • Oct 2006

I need some advice please...

I plan on setting up my own forums website with vBulletin.

I am confused on which hosting I need. Do I need spereate web hosts and Database hosts? Or can I use the same host for both?

We plan on starting out rather small, but I think we will grow quickly, as the "topic" at my forum is a popular and growng one. I plan on growning to 2000 members in about two months after opening the site.

I really cannot afford deticated hosting. But, I would be willing to go top-of-the-line shared hosting.

What do you guys suggest?

I was looking here:

but I am confused.

Please help!

Thank you so much!

• ajwuzhere
    • Oct 2006

This looks even better than the one above:

There is just one thing.

It says there can be 100 MySQL Databases.

But is there a limit on the amount of space each one can take up??? (Besides the 50 GB space). Because some of the plans I was looking at on other sites had limits like 100MB or something, which would be totally useless for me, because the majority of the space I am going to use is going to come from 1 MySQL database.

Please help me!

Thank you.

Comment

• ForumSupplies
      • Oct 2006

Most shared hosting providers do limit the space take up by MySQL databases. I know a few hosts used to limit the MySQL database sizes to 50MB's, however generally the limit is between 100-200MB's from what I can recall.

Some hosting providers may not impose such restrictions, however you would need to contact the host directly for that information.

Comment

• ajwuzhere
        • Oct 2006

Thank you!

Comment

• express
          • Apr 2001
          • 3.6.x

If you are just starting grab a hosting plan for 8 or 9.00 per month and upgrade as needed.

Joey
          Real Web Host

Comment

• Abba4
            • Oct 2006

All the best ajwuzhere. keep going man.

Comment

• Jedito
              • May 2001

Before to signup with hostdepartment I strongly suggest you to search about them on google or webhostingtalk.com
              Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
              LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

• ajwuzhere
                • Oct 2006

Hello everyone and thank you for the advise.

I decided to go with HostMonster.com and it couldn't have gone smoother! I have only had it for a few hours and they already set up my domain and everything.

I'm working on my forum right now. If you want to see here it is:

www.MotoModdingForums.com

Thanks everyone!

Comment

• Jedito
                  • May 2001

That's another brand of bluehost.

Good luck in there!

Comment

• ajwuzhere
                    • Oct 2006

Hello everyone.

After giving it much thought, I decided it wasn't such a good idea to be stuck with 999GB of transfer for two years.

I am very luckey that I canceled the account when I did.

I am looking for a hosting company that will let me start out small, but also let me upgrade to a bigger plan whenever I need it.

Also, no MySQL database size limit.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Also, is there any forumula to calculate about how much monthly bandwidth I would need? What is the general rule of thumb when it comes to calculation how much bandwidth you need/mo with vb?

Thank you all!

Comment

• Jedito
                      • May 2001

Take a look to http://whreviews.com you'll get tons of information there and also a list of Honests Hosts based on reviews at WebHostingTalk.com

Comment

• ajwuzhere
                        • Oct 2006

Thank you. I'm looking now.

Comment

• encryption
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by ajwuzhere
                          I plan on setting up my own forums website with vBulletin.

I am confused on which hosting I need. Do I need spereate web hosts and Database hosts? Or can I use the same host for both?

We plan on starting out rather small, but I think we will grow quickly, as the "topic" at my forum is a popular and growng one. I plan on growning to 2000 members in about two months after opening the site.

I really cannot afford deticated hosting. But, I would be willing to go top-of-the-line shared hosting.

What do you guys suggest?

I was looking here:

but I am confused.

Please help!

Thank you so much!
                          For reviews, head over to webhostingtalk.com and research the hosts you find.

Moreover, dont count your chickens before you've hatched your eggs i.e. dont take leaps ahead into assuming there's gonna be 2000 people online especially since it seems you're just startingout. Moreover, in terms of forum growth (in today's world) and all the exciting topics there are to discuss, there's probably a forum out there to talk in.

yes it's good to plan and keep a little reserve room in terms of having available resources (HD Space + BW) when your forum launches but considering seperate hosts for both is a little ahead of the time.

Most webhosting companies will give you options of hosting the entire package on a single account as long as the forum doesn't bring the server to a halt.

Check out ASmallOrange.com, they have decent plans and excellent uptime + support. You'll be pretty solid hosting with them
                          Last edited by encryption; Fri 3 Nov '06, 2:13pm.
                          www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                          www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...