X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gopherhockey
    • Jul 2002
    • 3.6.x

My hosts keep getting worse. What next?

We are like many of you in that our forums have grown over the past years. We are using more space and bandwidth and our users are requiring more and more reliability as they begin to rely on the forums to schedule events and generally feed their forum addiction.

We have had to bouce around between hosts in the past. We were with venturesonline at one time, then switched to f5hosting when we quickly outgrew vo. f5 has been good and solid for a few years, but now they are experiencing the same pains as usual - too many people hosted, too slow of support, server timeouts, too much $ for too little space.

We need a place that won't be upset if we need to run a sql import or export in the middle of the day. A place that won't be picky about bandwidth usage and will provide us enough space for our growing needs for multimedia and images, not to mention larger and larger attachments.

Our budget is in the $60/month range. We also spend money on a "development" site where we do our upgrades and changes prior to production.

I like a unix host. A place who's path is /home/sitename/public_html where we don't have to go in and re-design the paths to software like photopost etc. I enjoy cpanel, require ftp and ssh access, imagemagic etc. I also want someone who knows vbulletin well enough to know how it can be impacted if the ISP needs to move data around between servers.

There have been a lot of suggestions here and its difficult to get through them all. I hesitate to ask the same question that everone else is.. but I just don't have time to weed through it all for suggestions. It seems that so many hosts get both positive and negative reviews, and many get worse as they age.

Suggestions appreciated....
    www.morcmtb.org
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

What kind of stats are you seeing? If your looking for stable service, its possible that you've grown to the point where VPS or dedicated hosting would be the next logical step.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• BikeStylesInc
      • Jan 2006
      • 3.5.x

I use bluehost.com

They have everything that you require, and have never really had any downtime.

Comment

• mrwuss
        • Jul 2006
        • 3.6.x

I use axishost.com, Tina and her crew have been the absolute best people I have ever done business with.

Comment

• kushal
          • May 2006
          • 4.2.X

I had been with many host as you have told. Like I was with invision, godaddy, globat and others but they too would limp on the way. One very good host recently I found with price very compatible is wiredhub.
          Professional Community Setup Solutions
          vBaid.com: vBulletin Users
          Invisionaid.com: IPB Users

Comment

• Jedito
            • May 2001

From your site I get this stats

Currently Active Users: 70 (19 members and 51 guests)

Honestly, I think that your site grow too big for a shared enviroment, you should start looking for a VPS or your own dedicated server
            Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
            LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

• pierguy
              • May 2003
              • 4.1.x

gopherhockey, I'm in the exact same position. I'm even with the same host that seems to keep imploding every couple of months.

So here's what I want: a decent host that can handle 50-100 GB/month, provides some basic technical help (including when I occasionally blow something up), and has excellent uptime. Most importantly, I need a host I can grow with. A VPS is fine, and I'd be okay with paying for a true private server.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

19 members online is not too much.

Comment

• Sep 2006
                  • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                  19 members online is not too much.
                  I am brand new to running forums and use vBulletin 3.5.x. May I ask how do I see how much bandwidth my forums are using? I need a new host or possibly host it at home if my business cable connection is fast enough.

I see info on my main page that is very much like that mentioned above:

Thanks, 114

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jedito
                    From your site I get this stats

Honestly, I think that your site grow too big for a shared enviroment, you should start looking for a VPS or your own dedicated server

lol.. I have 3 times that on a shared host.

I use Hostww.net. Been with them for a year now.. very reliable, helpful, outstanding support, little to no downtime
                    Peggy
                    ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• Joshs
                      • Jan 2001

As a general rule of thumb, it is a good idea to consider VPS or dedicated hosting once you go over 50 currently active users.

Comment

• Larsanna
                        • Sep 2006

Try 1and1 they have some excellent plans and decent support.

Comment

• gopherhockey
                          • Jul 2002
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart
                          lol.. I have 3 times that on a shared host.

I use Hostww.net. Been with them for a year now.. very reliable, helpful, outstanding support, little to no downtime
                          We really don't generate a ton of user traffic. In fact user traffic doesn't seem to be the issue - what seems to be the problem is what other admins are doing on their sites (or what I am doing)

For example, if I try to do a mysql backup it takes down my own site and all others on the same server until the dump is completed. If I try back one up via cpanel like I used to be able to do, it brings my server down until the backup/download is fully complete.

I can resist the urge to do backups during my daylight hours, but other admins seem to insist on taking us all down.

When I tried another host (that is hugely recommended here) I had problems even uploading my site via ftp, let alone getting it ready for users.

It seems that I need to find a host that not only understands vbulletin user balancing, but also understands that there are times when maintenance needs to be done without hitting huge bottlenecks or causing network or server outages.
                          www.morcmtb.org

Comment

• vidmarc
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 3.7.x

Try 1and1 they have some excellent plans and decent support.
                            I would strongly suggest you do NOT use 1&1 - I've had nothing but trouble with them. Their shared server options just do not allow vBulletin to run properly.
                            Cult Movie Forums

Comment

• express
                              • Apr 2001
                              • 3.6.x

Really depends on the demand you guys are placing on the servers. We have vbs' on our shared servers that pull 100 gig a month with 70 to 100 users online without a issue in most cases several on the same server.
                              Just depends what you are doing on your site, should be no reason at all that you can not find someone to help you with this.

Joey
                              Real Web Host

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...