4 10k SCSI HD's - Raid 10
    or
    2 15k SCSI HD's - Raid 1
    Bike Forums.net
  • fiNal
    • Jan 2003
    • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

This mainly depends on the controller.

In writing data to the disk, the raid 10 should definitely beat the raid 1. The data will be split to two disks in the raid 10. In the raid 1 case, both disks have to write the full data. So, a 10k rpm disk has to do half of the job that a 15k rpm disk had to do.

However, when it comes to read data, it really depends on the "intelligence" of the controller.
    In the raid 1 case, all modern controllers "know" that they can read data from both disks. So, a 15k rpm disk has only to read half of the data. (yes, this means that a Raid 1 usually reads about twice as fast as it writes down).

When it comes to the raid 10, the controller theoretically could read data from all four disks at the same time. However, I'm not that familiar with modern SCSI-controllers. So I'm not sure if they really do that.

But: on a database server, I'd say response time is the most important thing for performance. if the response times are identical, I'd prefer the raid 10
    Last edited by fiNal; Thu 17 Aug '06, 3:13pm.

sorry for my bad english I hope, you understand me anyway

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...