GoDaddy as a host?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunder_sti
    • Sep 2006

So far so good, I went with register.com, awesome service, and especially the customer serv. 24 / 7 and good package deals... just my .02 cents..

Comment

• Mentch
      • Apr 2005
      • 5.1.x

Im not sure for those who are running vBulletin on Godaddy. But a year ago I tried setting up vBulletin on their site and I couldnt even install vB on it. I cant remember what the issue was but they had certain parts of PHP disabled, and one of them was something vB needed to run.

Comment

• Beller
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.6.x

I used godaddy for hosting for a while. Never again...
        They are very generous with thier offer of 250-500gb transfers.
        But they limit SQL connections to 50. So there is no fear of you going anywhere near that transfer limit....
        Also try asking them to installan SQL file to your database to restore it & see what they tell you.
        Boards IrEland
        TopLists-add your site

Comment

• patentsearch
          • Sep 2006

How about Yahoo web host and blue dream web host? Are they ok?

Comment

• Cagonni
            • Nov 2005

im using godaddy for my site.So good..and very cheap.

Comment

• Beller
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.6.x

You obviousally arnt getting too much traffic..
              Wait till you try asking them to restore your DB!
              Boards IrEland
              TopLists-add your site

Comment

• justjulie7878
                • Oct 2007

Are you downloading vbulletin test onto godaddy? I tried and it keeps coming up with errors that I do not understand. Is this a common problem?

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                  • May 2003
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by justjulie7878
                  Are you downloading vbulletin test onto godaddy? I tried and it keeps coming up with errors that I do not understand. Is this a common problem?
                  Don't use MySQL 5.0.x version, errors galore. Use the older MySQL (4.3.x). Got it installed on a GoDaddy account and it runs as intended -- tad slow with the default setup (almost 0.5000 for page generation); and server load averages around 3.0 range.

Also make sure to enable UTF-8 in config.php, as the MySQL database uses that language.

It isn't the worst and isn't the best (it has improved from 2006). But one key benefit I see with GoDaddy hosting: because they're the leading domain seller, propagation of domains for sites is almost instantly. Longest I've had for the domain name to show up was 2hrs. Other hosts I've used, literally took 48hrs for propagation. Keep that in mind if you're hosting a current events/political/news site where time is critical to get your "licks" in. I highly recommend it for political blogs!!

My main complaint with GoDaddy is almost everything has to be approved first. It can delay things by hours (especially DNS changes), where on another host with cPanel it's finished as fast as you can edit.
                  "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                  is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                  ~~~
                  Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• BroKeN
                    • Oct 2007
                    • 3.6.x

I am quite cofused around here , i just regestered today so i will keep going on reading the posts around here but i think it is good to start with specialy the first year and plus all the other trusted hosters that i know are asking alot of money for 100 mb bandwith but i think the price is god and i hope that they preformance will be grate too .

i will be around this subject if any oneQ has somthing to say

Comment

• john2k
                      • Jul 2000

The MySQL 5 issues must be on GoDaddy's side. I've been running vB on MySQL 5 for quite some time and never have issues with it.
                      ...john2k...

Comment

• ChrisLM2001
                        • May 2003
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by BroKeN
                        but i think it is good to start with specialy the first year and plus all the other trusted hosters that i know are asking alot of money for 100 mb bandwith but i think the price is god and i hope that they preformance will be grate too .
                        Never get a host based on price. The old saying, "you get what you paid for" is true. Many are resellers, or like the "top" hosts bandied about here, are volume sellers. Think Wal-Mart for service for them.

Current M.O. now is offer mega bandwidth and disk space (knowing most won't even get close to those limits, so they can oversale each [too common in hosting]). But limit other services, even paying for each support ticket (or for one host I've seen, $5 for each DNS change. Punish all customers for one bad customer deal). For forum owners high diskspace and bandwidth looks like a sweet deal, until they sign up and see limitations as...
                        1. Diskspace+database space = total diskspace.
                        2. In+Out bandwidth = total bandwidth.
                        3. Limiting database size to 100MB or less.
                        4. Uploads are limited, making it impossible to import a transfered database without cutting and feeding it manually; or even a large avatar/smilie/gallery library.
                        5. Database connections are limited (making it impossible to have many forum members online at a time).
                        6. Resource limitations that are strict (can't take more than 10% of the server resources at anytime, or face account closure without warning to upgrade before turning off the switch -- BAD for forums that get a "Slashdot effect").
                        Customers have to ask their hosts specific questions and get the numbers in writing. If you don't you will find out the hard way, just as you upload and try to install the forum.

As for GoDaddy, if your forum is small (i.e., for a workgroup; webdesign testing; or just starting and you need to learn the admin ropes) it's okay. Because actions are approved before applied, first timers won't make a site destroying mistake (short of deleting a database and such). But if you want to grow fast and furious, pay the money upfront and get a host that doesn't pigeonhole you into a corner (and make sure they don't shut down a site if it gets that "Slashdot effect" - get one that allows an upgrade or issues a warning to reduce the number of connections via the ACP).

I'm using GoDaddy, despite all of it's limitations, because of domain propagation (and free sub-accounts for testing). But if you want to build a forum for high traffic, get another host, and one that offers more than 10000MB of diskspace/traffic, but a 100MB database and 30 database connections all for $4.99/mon!
                        "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                        is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                        ~~~
                        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• lunraura
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 3.6.x

I wouldn't recommend GoDaddy for shared hosting for vBulletin. They don't allow SSH access which makes your job of installing and updating a tedious task.

Comment

• BroKeN
                            • Oct 2007
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
                            Never get a host based on price. The old saying, "you get what you paid for" is true. Many are resellers, or like the "top" hosts bandied about here, are volume sellers. Think Wal-Mart for service for them.

Current M.O. now is offer mega bandwidth and disk space (knowing most won't even get close to those limits, so they can oversale each [too common in hosting]). But limit other services, even paying for each support ticket (or for one host I've seen, $5 for each DNS change. Punish all customers for one bad customer deal). For forum owners high diskspace and bandwidth looks like a sweet deal, until they sign up and see limitations as...
                            1. Diskspace+database space = total diskspace.
                            2. In+Out bandwidth = total bandwidth.
                            3. Limiting database size to 100MB or less.
                            4. Uploads are limited, making it impossible to import a transfered database without cutting and feeding it manually; or even a large avatar/smilie/gallery library.
                            5. Database connections are limited (making it impossible to have many forum members online at a time).
                            6. Resource limitations that are strict (can't take more than 10% of the server resources at anytime, or face account closure without warning to upgrade before turning off the switch -- BAD for forums that get a "Slashdot effect").
                            Customers have to ask their hosts specific questions and get the numbers in writing. If you don't you will find out the hard way, just as you upload and try to install the forum.

As for GoDaddy, if your forum is small (i.e., for a workgroup; webdesign testing; or just starting and you need to learn the admin ropes) it's okay. Because actions are approved before applied, first timers won't make a site destroying mistake (short of deleting a database and such). But if you want to grow fast and furious, pay the money upfront and get a host that doesn't pigeonhole you into a corner (and make sure they don't shut down a site if it gets that "Slashdot effect" - get one that allows an upgrade or issues a warning to reduce the number of connections via the ACP).

I'm using GoDaddy, despite all of it's limitations, because of domain propagation (and free sub-accounts for testing). But if you want to build a forum for high traffic, get another host, and one that offers more than 10000MB of diskspace/traffic, but a 100MB database and 30 database connections all for $4.99/mon!

thanx for the advices sir but i already been using for 2wks from that time and what can i say : i run my web site as arabic forum and you don't know how much other froums there is and no matter what u do in your forums deffrently you can't get rested and have alot of members cuz there is coping with no right mentioning to your efforts and tht sucks as if you posted a new album for example you gonna find the downloads in hundreds and no one posts a thread even thanking you and if ..
                            as you said if am realy running a small forums on high diskspace as i see my situation as new in this field i can tell it is gonna take at least 6 months to have a 1000 member cuz till now 2wks running on 150 member and maximam daily online gets to 6 or 7 members

but i have one issue with godaddy so far i can get a firewall around couple of my folders that i want to protect and last night i was hacked but i fixed it at the same moment .
                            and i told them how an i have firewall they said sorry we don't provide that service >>> any one can help with the fire wall thing????

Comment

• Ba$im
                              • Mar 2007

not good and not bad if we look at it from price

Comment

• Jaxel
                                • Jun 2006

GoDaddy is a horrible host for vBulletin if you are using shared hosting. I used shared hosting with them for a while and was nothing but unhappy...

But once I upgraded to a Virtual Dedicated Server, its been smooth sailing. I've used dozens of hosts in the past, but for me, GoDaddy's Virtual Dedicated service is one of the best I've seen. Not to mention their customer support is very helpful and speak english.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...