• Alzuabi
    • Jun 2000

Communitech suspend my account

Communitech.net suspended my account because of this reason :-

'Excessive use of CPU/Memory and system resources via mySQL and PHP'

and i just have 300 users and 400 threads

i sent them more than 6 E-mails but there is no response until this moment

so watch out and be carefull

hope you advice me to another web-hosting that let me run vbulletin with no problems ,, actually i am looking forward to have an account with site5.com ... what do you think ?
  • Michael
    • Apr 2000

I knew Communitech would do that. They always shut down sites for excessive CPU usage. From what I have heard Site5 isn't too much better either.

If you are going for a Virtual Server, you shouldn't go for the cheapest option (I know communitech isn't too cheap) - because they have to put more sites per server to recover the money.

Thats why you'll find that the faster Virtual Hosts might have exactly the same hardware - but because there is half the ammount of sites on the server your site will be faster, and allowed to consume a bit more resources.

Anyway - Good luck finding a new host
    Michael Bray

Comment

• doron
      • Apr 2000

i'm on ct with a vB (740 members, 1406 threads 20048 posts ) and have yet to get a warning.

you might have a defunkt hack that is causing too many connections

Comment

• SonnetCelestial
        • May 2000

I'm with doron on this...

Alz.. do you happen to know how to work the top command from telnet? if so you might want to monitor your site from time to time...

Communitech.net might have pulled the reaper on me a few times but it really hasn't touched me ever since I put vb on it... (it's down now but was up for a good romping week!!)

Comment

• SonnetCelestial
          • May 2000

Originally posted by doron
          i'm on ct with a vB (740 members, 1406 threads 20048 posts ) and have yet to get a warning.

you might have a defunkt hack that is causing too many connections
          Side note, isn't there a way to limit connections to the database??

Comment

• FamMan
            • Jul 2000

Just thought I would give everyone the other side of the story. I host with them and have been following the forums there closely. I don't know about direct email responses, but Alzuabi did receive a response via the forums:

Communitech's response in forums
            Arabi.org was unsuspended by me twice, but you have refused to update your contact records so we could contact you. It was unsuspended today but because of the time it was unsuspended at and the problems with the account, we can't open the website back up right away, instead we are giving you time to go in via telnet and ftp to fix the problems as you said you would (and backup your MySQL data.)
            I don't know what the nature of the problem is/was with your account. However, being that I might possibly share the same virtual server with you, I would rather they suspend your account until you fix the problems than to have the entire server crash, taking my site with it.

Now I am just another customer (happy one I might add), but I think that CT is being very reasonable in this situation. The number one rule to running a website is to backup your own data. Never trust it to anyone. I remember researching webhosts prior to deciding on CT. One of the biggest things on Usenet concerned people being suspended or hosts going out of business, taking their client's data with them. Or servers crashing and backups being corrupt. Be thankful they are not like a lot of the other hosting companies, but allow you access to your data. If you do not backup your own data, you have noone to blame but yourself. I keep redundant backups of everything. Even going so far as to burn copies of my data to CD for safe keeping and storing offsite.

As for the communication problem, can't say I have experienced any problems, though it seems other have. However, you cannot expect someone to contact you if you do not provide current, valid contact information.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• FamMan
              • Jul 2000

Side note, isn't there a way to limit connections to the database??
              I know nothing about MySQL other than how to follow the instructions given in the README of scripts. However, I remembered a topic similar to this while searching for an answer to a different problem. Anyway, here is the response.

You shouldn't have any problem if you establish a connection once at the beginning of your script and then close it at the end. For example
              Code:
              $conn="";
              $conn = mysql_connect(settings here);
              mysql_select_db("dbname");
              more script here...
              query it...
              $results = mysql_query("SELECT...", $conn);
              bla bla bla...
              mysql_close($conn);
              I'm on Jupiter and haven't run into any problems with the 2000 error, and I'm running some intensive queries and table joins...
              Hope this helps.

Comment

• SonnetCelestial
                • May 2000

thanks Faman. I appreciate it. HOpefully though we can avoid that script and simply limit the connections via either software settings or (maybe) vb!

Comment

• Alzuabi
                  • Jun 2000

where should i put this code FamMan ?

and what are the results when i install this cose ?

thank you

Comment

• FamMan
                    • Jul 2000

I have not idea,,, from what I understand of the thread I was reading though, the code basically ensures that you close your connection to MySQL after running your code each time. This code was posted in response to someone finding that they had an unusual amount of extra connections being left open and subsequently had their account suspended for tying up MySQL resources. One of the support guys checked the account in question and found that the connections were not being closed properly. Then someone posted the code I gave earlier. Anyway, I will search for the URL later today and post it. You may be able to gleen more info from that. Like I said, I am just getting into PHP and MySQL myself. I have set up a test machine locally to develop on before uploading to CT. But I haven't done any coding myself. Basically I have been testing several forums packages, including VB. I'll grab that URL later and post if for ya.

(adding the URL I promised earlier)

[Edited by FamMan on 07-21-2000 at 12:49 AM]

Comment

• Alwaysmefirst
                      • Apr 2000
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Alzuabi
                      Communitech.net suspended my account because of this reason :-

'Excessive use of CPU/Memory and system resources via mySQL and PHP'

and i just have 300 users and 400 threads

i sent them more than 6 E-mails but there is no response until this moment

so watch out and be carefull

hope you advice me to another web-hosting that let me run vbulletin with no problems ,, actually i am looking forward to have an account with site5.com ... what do you think ?
                      Just to say "me too"...
                      It is weird because they did it to a site that doesn't use any cgi and only use around 12 gb a month.
                      I have one day before my account is suspended and the only choice is to get a dedicated server with them....

Olly

Comment

• SonnetCelestial
                        • May 2000

Originally posted by Alwaysmefirst

Just to say "me too"...
                        It is weird because they did it to a site that doesn't use any cgi and only use around 12 gb a month.
                        I have one day before my account is suspended and the only choice is to get a dedicated server with them....

Olly
                        Hey you two... I think it best be to go with a different provider. Although vservers is a bit more expensive, I talked with both tech support and they seemed quite friendly (albeit a little tired). I think you should give them a try. Switching from communitech gives you a waived setup fee.

Comment

• Alwaysmefirst
                          • Apr 2000
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by SonnetCelestial

Hey you two... I think it best be to go with a different provider. Although vservers is a bit more expensive, I talked with both tech support and they seemed quite friendly (albeit a little tired). I think you should give them a try. Switching from communitech gives you a waived setup fee.
                          Already ordered a dedicated server at Virtualis and moving another site currently hosted on CT to the new server too

Comment

• Michael
                            • Apr 2000

Way to go - What Virtualis option did you order?
                            Michael Bray

Comment

• Alwaysmefirst
                              • Apr 2000
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Michael
                              Way to go - What Virtualis option did you order?
                              The same as yours (deda2). I wished there were more ram but what I needed first was bandwidth and with 120 Gb a month I don't have to worry anymore! The administration of the server is very easy.
                              I put your name in the field "how did you hear about us?"

Olly

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...