• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrcal
    • Apr 2004
    • 3.8.x

Growing forum

Hello,
    I launched a forum a couple of years ago, which has grown substantially.

I'm facing a problem. I need to move away from my current web host, though I looked at the size of my forum and the DB is 301 MB.

I've talked with big companies like Interland (web.com now), Media Temple, 1AND1, etc. but the most DB space that any of them offer is like 250MB (which is an extra $40/month).

I'm not overly tech savvy and I don't want to have to manage my own dedicated server - does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can find a new host or hosting solution that can accommodate my growing forum?

I’d imagine that there are thousands of other vBulletin forums that are far larger than mine… so any growing advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

<Moved to vBulletin Hosting Options Forum>
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mayers
      • Jul 2004
      • 3.6.x

What you could do is get a dedicated server and hire a 3rd party management team to take care of the server for you. Please like http://www.platinumservermanagement.com/ can do this for a low monthly fee. I'm not sure what kind of hosting you have right now, maybe you could even look into VPS hosting.
      Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

• Thomas P
        • Apr 2001

I think what you look for is a Managed Server option, many hosters offer those.
        www.MCSEboard.de
        German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

• tacticalnuke
          • Jun 2006

Wait, the DB is only a third of a gig? Unless I'm not reading this correctly (probability: high) then most shared plans could handle that.

Comment

• jrcal
            • Apr 2004
            • 3.8.x

Yeah the database is very big because we have a lot of the users upload images. I think there are about 2300 users and 111,000 posts.

Comment

• hornstar6969
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

try storing your attachments etc. not in the database, that would then make the database small enough for any host to accept it.
              Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• jrcal
                • Apr 2004
                • 3.8.x

What configuration would I need to change to do this?

Thanks!

Comment

• express
                  • Apr 2001
                  • 3.6.x

If you are moving to a new host, make this change after you get the db moved, in the past for large databases we have noticed it is easier moving sites when the images are in the db then when they are used as files. So I would consider moving site and then moving avatars and such to the file structure as hornstar6969 suggested.
                  Real Web Host

Comment

• ThorstenA
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Mayers
                    What you could do is get a dedicated server and hire a 3rd party management team to take care of the server for you. Please like http://www.platinumservermanagement.com/ can do this for a low monthly fee. I'm not sure what kind of hosting you have right now, maybe you could even look into VPS hosting.
                    I have seen recommendations for other companies. platinumservermanagement.com seems not to be that good.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...