• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dan
    • Jun 2006
    • 4.2.X

Where should I host vB?

Hi All,

I just bought a leased license for vB and installed it on with my current host, 1and1 whom I'm very satisfied with. I run 10+ domains out of my home plan.

My board is still small and I converted my phpBB accounts. I'm worried about the DB size restriction, 100 MB is nothing one I start getting a lot of regisitrations, posts and etc.

Should I just upgrade to 1and1's developer account which doesn't limit the size or find another host?

Thanx in advance,
    Dan
    Last edited by Big Dan; Mon 19 Jun '06, 8:37am. Reason: grammar
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

Hi

To be honest we've heard some rather bad reports about 1&1 as a host, like for example the database restriction.
    Personally I'd look into switching hosts.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• alemcherry
      • Jun 2006

I heard some good reviews also. Biggies, it seems get lots of bad reviews! You can checkout more options here.
      Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• TheMusicMan
        • Oct 2002
        • 3.7.x

Colin is correct I'm afraid. How do I know...? well I was with oneandone for 1.5 years before my database grew over 100MB and then I was buggered. I moved to ASmallOrange on a shared plan, then to a dedicated server and now with an owned server hosted by them.

I would recommend them absolutely, as their customer service is second to none.
        John

Comment

• SirTalksalot
          • Dec 2005

I'm currently with 1and1.co.uk and am ditching them as soon as I have a better host sorted out. Not only is the database limited to 100mb, but you're not allowed more then 18 connections at once, by main forum has grown to 115 members and is already experiencing serious problems.

Thier customer service and support is easily the worst I have ever experienced. I sent a letter threatening to leave because I was so dissapointed; all I got back was a letter explaining how I could cancel my account!
          - SirTalksalot
          www.talk-uk.com - Talk UK News, Politics, and current affairs!
          Ickle Ads - Get your FREE pixel adspace now! No catches, it's just free!

Comment

• TheMusicMan
            • Oct 2002
            • 3.7.x

Don't hang about with that either. Get across to ASO, you won't regret it.
            John

Comment

• SirTalksalot
              • Dec 2005

Are you getting comission from ASO MM?
              - SirTalksalot
              www.talk-uk.com - Talk UK News, Politics, and current affairs!
              Ickle Ads - Get your FREE pixel adspace now! No catches, it's just free!

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                • Oct 2002
                • 3.7.x

Nope!
                John

Comment

• oldmn
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 3.5.x

Aso

I was just over there looking and the only thing they have available is the shared services the rest are sold out. and at there rates I would have to spend $125 a month to get what I need, If I could get more storage space.
                  I think I am going to look a little closed at Startlogic.

Comment

• Curtis H.
                    • Dec 2003

Dan,

Take a look at these (3 of the 4 I have used) and do some homework and ask the hosting provider any specific questions that you may have. In no particular order:

Rochenhost.com -- Professional, quality hosting. Disk space allotments could be higher.
                    Futurequest.net -- Same as above. Not cheap but no kiddie host. Privately owned data center.
                    Axishost.com -- Good reputation. No support forums which can be helpful.
                    Dotable.com -- Affordable plans with solid support and hosting.

Good luck!
                    :cool:

Comment

• Quillz
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 5.0.X

I use and recommend Site5 web hosting.
                      Forums

Comment

• COBRAws
                        • May 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Danny Boy
                        Hi All,

I just bought a leased license for vB and installed it on with my current host, 1and1 whom I'm very satisfied with. I run 10+ domains out of my home plan.

My board is still small and I converted my phpBB accounts. I'm worried about the DB size restriction, 100 MB is nothing one I start getting a lot of regisitrations, posts and etc.

Should I just upgrade to 1and1's developer account which doesn't limit the size or find another host?

Thanx in advance,
                        Dan
                        I also recommend you ASO www.asmallorange.com

Been there for a year, now going for a managed private server appart from my current VPS.

Comment

• joeychgo
                          • Mar 2004

I ahve been with ASO for 2 years now. Great service and has been there every step of the way as my sites have grown. I also wrote an article on this subject: Choosing a Web host for your vBulletin Forum

Good Luck
                          Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                          Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• Big Dan
                            • Jun 2006
                            • 4.2.X

Thanks for the replies

Sorry I took so long to write back, I updated my DNS servers and didn't realize my email my bouncing all over the place.

I decided on dreamhost. So far I'm semi-impressed, their support is very helpful but email is constantly being "worked on", accessing webmail is hit and miss. It's not the important to me anyhow, important stuff goes to my ISP account.

Comment

• COBRAws
                              • May 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Danny Boy
                              Sorry I took so long to write back, I updated my DNS servers and didn't realize my email my bouncing all over the place.

I decided on dreamhost. So far I'm semi-impressed, their support is very helpful but email is constantly being "worked on", accessing webmail is hit and miss. It's not the important to me anyhow, important stuff goes to my ISP account.
                              Actually, you will regret that choice. All I could hear from former Dreamhost customers were bad reviews.

Wish you good luck!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...