X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Noctavia
    • May 2006

VPS specs for a medium/large forum

Hello,

I'm currently needing to change hosts as the shared server environment doesn't seem to cater to my needs anymore. Too much CPU resources. I am currently looking at a VPS as the middle step between shared and dedicated and am wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of the minimum specs I would need to serve my forum?

Currently I sit on average between 40 - 150 users online at any time. The lesser figure being at the wee hours of the morning, the higher number being the peak times (after work, weekends etc). On Tuesdays I tend to hit my max (so far 220) because the game it is related to is down for maintenance and everyone catches up on their reading.

I realise this isn't probably a normal support question, but I thought you guys might be able to help me with how much RAM etc that a vBulletin forum that size might require.

Any help (even a guesstimated ball park) would be so extremely appreciated.

Thankyou
  • rh2004
    • Jan 2004

Avoid the VPS go for a cheap dedicated server

Comment

• Noctavia
      • May 2006

Unfortunately I have already gone over that and a dedicated is out of my budget.

Comment

• rh2004
        • Jan 2004

What is your budget?

I'd only suggest for a VPS powervps.com

Comment

• Noctavia
          • May 2006

That's where it get's tricky... my budget varies depending on the currency conversion (I'm not US). Currently PowerVPS is on my short list, although a lot of reading does imply they are having issues currently.

This is getting off topic of my original question though. I'm mostly just interested in what would be the minimum requirements for a forum my size...

Comment

• encryption
            • May 2005

What are you looking to spend each month ?
            www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
            www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• cyburbia
              • Aug 2001
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Noctavia
              That's where it get's tricky... my budget varies depending on the currency conversion (I'm not US). Currently PowerVPS is on my short list, although a lot of reading does imply they are having issues currently.

EuroVPS has a very good reputation over at Webhostingtalk. Pricing is in Euro.

I think for your site, you'll be fine with their VPS250P package. My message board has about the same amount of traffic as yours, the VPS package I have (not at EuroVPS; I'm in North America) has similar specs, and the board does fine; MySQL server loads and CPU usage is low.

If you're in Australia, New Zealand or South Africa, I can't make any recommendations. Something with the specs of the basic EuroVPS package should be fine, though.
              Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
              http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

• SaintDog
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.5.x

On average, what is your estimated monthly budget for hosting? If you're in the market for VPS, ASO & Eleven2 provide excellent service and I can vouch for both of them.

As for minimum specifications, bare in mind a VPS is still technically shared hosting, your simply on a server [normally] with less clientel sharing the resources.

Only with a dedicated could we provide you with an actual estimate of resources your'd need for your server, though even with such an estimate, we'd need your budget as well .

Comment

• express
                  • Apr 2001
                  • 3.6.x

Go with a dedicated solution maybe a P4 2.6 to 3.0 cpu with 1.5 to 3 gig of ram with sata drives, Cost should be around 175 to 245 for such a box.
                  Real Web Host

Comment

• alemcherry
                    • Jun 2006

A VPS should be enough for your site, even though a dedicated server is better. I would recommend a godaddy VPS with minimum 512 mb assured RAM. Cost would be around 70$. For around 125$, you will get a reasonable dedicated server from godaddy. Few more options here.
                    Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• Colin F
                      • May 2004

To be honest, I've heard better things about other hosts than GoDaddy.
                      Best Regards
                      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...