Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slikk
    • Jul 2002

Gaming Server?

Hi, I am close to purchasing vBulletin (Waiting on paycheck actually to hit the bank). Once I do, I plan on then setting up with a server at a cheap price. I plan on running a website with portal/forum for gaming news, downloads, and forum discussions. The intentions and website planning have been excellent and could be promising a flow of members. I've browsed eleven2.com and dreamhost.com so far, but Dreamhost wants a $50 fee for setup plus the $20 per month price. Eleven2.com has good plans but Dreamhost has them beat on their prices, such as their 1.7tb transfer for $20 month and I don't even think eleven2.com has a tb transfer plan. Any suggestions as far as inexpensive and reliable customer support for gaming?
  • Mafukie
    • Apr 2000

To tell you the truth, you probably won't need more than 1gb of space and 10gb of transfer a month until your site gets popular and actually starts taking up resources. Start off with a reputable hosting company (you can check a great resource called webhostingtalk.com and look up users reviews)

Comment

• encryption
      • May 2005

If you're getting 1.7 TB for $20 / month, you can better believe they are overselling that server to its knees AND they will restrict your processor / CPU consumption severly (I think another host "BlueHost" is known to do that, check the Wordpress.org forums).

From the 2, go with Eleven2.com. IIRC KingSpade on here is with them and is very happy with them.

However, I would recommend taking a look at ASmallOrange.Com

A load of members on here have been very very happy with them.
      Last edited by encryption; Wed 3 May '06, 2:49am.
      www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
      www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• Slikk
        • Jul 2002

Yeah, I was a little suspicious after reviewing some other hosts and pondering, "Now why is it all of these hosts but Blue & Dream Host selling so much bandwidth and space a whole lot cheaper than the most popular companies around today? Either their uptime, speed, or support isn't great or just the mere fact that they're overselling to gain popularity and quick cash. I also didn't want to pay no $50 for someone to setup a hosting plan less than $20. I'd pay less for 3 months with Dreamhost as compared to my setup fee of $50.", so I have been with eleven2.com and their quickness to customer support wasn't that great, but I have been talking to them and have received 3 or 4 replies in a 60 minute span, which is awesome. They have changed my mind that they have made some changes and are trying very hard to their quota of a 15 minute wait maximum and soon enough a 5 minute reply. They're around 24 hours a day, so that's a plus side.

As far as specs, I think it would be wise to move with something small and see how things turn out, thus upgrading to the next package. So, I may just go with 1GB, 10GB transfer for right now and eleven2 has something like that real cheap, so I appreciate the help, guys.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...