Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • devilbrad
    • Apr 2006

Tutorial for using ASmallOrange???

I'm slightly confused right now. I'm at the point to upload the "upload" folder and for the life of me cant figure out how to do it. I'm using Smart FTP but am having a huge brain fart. This stuff is all new to me. Is their a tutorial on using ASmallOrange??
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by devilbrad
    I'm slightly confused right now. I'm at the point to upload the "upload" folder and for the life of me cant figure out how to do it. I'm using Smart FTP but am having a huge brain fart. This stuff is all new to me. Is their a tutorial on using ASmallOrange??
    What are you stuck on? Is it that you don't know how to connect to ASmallOrange's server, or that you're connected but don't know where to put the vB files?

Either is easy to sort so don't worry!
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• devilbrad
      • Apr 2006

I think I got it now. I had to take a break, LOL. Last try it timed out the connection. I closed Smart FTP, started it back up, it automatically found my server, I highlighted the upload file, and hit the left transfer arrow and it seems to be transfering. Is that how I'm supposed to do it? It didnt give me any control or rather options over where to put the files, but shows a directory that keeps changing? I guess it automatically puts the files in the correct spot?

Comment

• devilbrad
        • Apr 2006

Now it gave me another "A connection attempt failed..............." notice.

Comment

• TheMusicMan
          • Oct 2002
          • 3.7.x

What exactly are you trying to do? Install vB?
          John

Comment

• devilbrad
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
            What exactly are you trying to do? Install vB?
            Yes. Trying to upload my scripts to my server.

Comment

• TheMusicMan
              • Oct 2002
              • 3.7.x

OK... let's confirm you can connect using ftp yeah? Do you see the root of your webspace when you connect through ftp? You should see a few directories, one of which will be /public_html. You need to upload the /upload folder that you extracted onto your hard drive to that location.

Once you have done that I'd rename it to /forum or /forums or whatever you want really. Then you need to amend the /includes/config.php.new file on your local machine to point to your MySQL databse with its name, username and password so that vB can access it.

Have you go this far yet?
              John

Comment

• devilbrad
                • Apr 2006

OK... let's confirm you can connect using ftp yeah? Do you see the root of your webspace when you connect through ftp? You should see a few directories, one of which will be /public_html. You need to upload the /upload folder that you extracted onto your hard drive to that location.

Once you have done that I'd rename it to /forum or /forums or whatever you want really. Then you need to amend the /includes/config.php.new file on your local machine to point to your MySQL databse with its name, username and password so that vB can access it.

Have you go this far yet?
                I have my public_html folder in Smart FTP and it seems to be loading right now. I dont think it was loading into it earlier, just along side it. If I go into my ASmallOrange cPanel it shows a bunch of php files under (not in it) the "www" folder, I believe it was loading them there, do I need to delete those? Now it shows all the same php files in the public_html folder and I just renamed it to forums. I think I'm getting somewhere! What about all the gif files? Where are those gonna end up? Thanks!

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                  • Oct 2002
                  • 3.7.x

Just make sure you upload the entire contents of the /upload folder and everything will be automatically placed where it should be. There's no need to worry about images etc, they are uploaded to their correct locations.
                  John

Comment

• devilbrad
                    • Apr 2006

Just make sure you upload the entire contents of the /upload folder and everything will be automatically placed where it should be. There's no need to worry about images etc, they are uploaded to their correct locations.
                    Thats whats confusing me. It doesnt look like all the folders from inside the upload folder are there. I have admincp, archive, cgi-bin, and clientscript. I cant find the rest of the folders, like cpstyles, customavators, customprofilepics, images, includes, install, or modcp. I dont know why they wont upload.

Comment

• devilbrad
                      • Apr 2006

OK, update. Had to load each folder individually. Just went through everything, all the files from in the folders are there, but the folders arent. Should I create the folders and move the appropriate files into them or leave as is?

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                        • Oct 2002
                        • 3.7.x

You shouldn't have to move all the folders individually, they should all be copied when you move the /upload folder to the webspace. Are you sure you extracted the zip file to your hard drive using the existing directory tree/structure.?
                        John

Comment

• devilbrad
                          • Apr 2006

You shouldn't have to move all the folders individually, they should all be copied when you move the /upload folder to the webspace. Are you sure you extracted the zip file to your hard drive using the existing directory tree/structure.?
                          Yes, they are all on my harddrive exactly as shown in the manual. I just tried it all over and hit overwrite all. It just finished loading and looks exactly like my harddrive!! I dont know why it didnt work before.

Comment

• devilbrad
                            • Apr 2006

OK, all the folders and files are in the public_html folder, but it didnt create an upload folder like the manual says. Do I rename the public_html folder?

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                              • Oct 2002
                              • 3.7.x

No - you can't do that. All this means is that your forum will be in the root of your webspace instead of www.yourdomain.com/forums that's all.

Now, amend your /includes/config.php.new, rename it to config.php containing your MySQL credentials then point your browser to /install/install.php and run the vB installation script.

That's it!
                              John

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...