X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stone0075
    • Apr 2006
    • 4.1.x

web hosting question!

Let me just start off by saying hello and that I am a newbee here and in the technical department. what I want to do is start up a forum in every day current affair (raw graphic) I'm sure it's going to attract a lot of traffic. I'm figuring traffic at 150 people a day to say the lease give or take. I was thinking about going with a IPOWER Dedicated Servers, its a CPS series server. could someone tell me if this is a good set up for what I want? It's 12 Month Price (with One-Time $49 Setup Fee) $129.00, this looks like the way I'm going to go. Thanks in advance.
    John.

FEATURES INCLUDE DETAILS
    Intel® Celeron™ Processor (2.4GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache)
    Choose from Windows® 20031, Fedora Core, FreeBSD, Red Hat Enterprise Linux2
    1GB Dual Channel DDR at 333MHz
    120GB NO RAID / 120GB Useable Space
    1 Terabyte Data Transfer
    Includes 1 IP Address
    UPGRADE OPTIONS DETAILS
    Can Add up to (1) 120GB NO RAID
    Memory Upgradeable to 1.5GB / 2GB
    Data Transfer Upgradeable to 2 Terabytes (500GB Increments)
    IP Addresses Upgradeable to 32 (with justification)
    ADDITIONAL OPTIONS (SOFTWARE4) DETAILS
    Plesk w/ Licenses: 30, 100, or Unlimited
    PRICE PER PACKAGE

• Joshs
    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by stone0075
    Let me just start off by saying hello and that I am a newbee here and in the technical department. what I want to do is start up a forum in every day current affair (raw graphic) I'm sure it's going to attract a lot of traffic. I'm figuring traffic at 150 people a day to say the lease give or take. I was thinking about going with a IPOWER Dedicated Servers, its a CPS series server. could someone tell me if this is a good set up for what I want? It's 12 Month Price (with One-Time $49 Setup Fee) $129.00, this looks like the way I'm going to go. Thanks in advance.
    John.

FEATURES INCLUDE DETAILS
    Intel® Celeron™ Processor (2.4GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache)
    Choose from Windows® 20031, Fedora Core, FreeBSD, Red Hat Enterprise Linux2
    1GB Dual Channel DDR at 333MHz
    120GB NO RAID / 120GB Useable Space
    1 Terabyte Data Transfer
    Includes 1 IP Address
    UPGRADE OPTIONS DETAILS
    Can Add up to (1) 120GB NO RAID
    Memory Upgradeable to 1.5GB / 2GB
    Data Transfer Upgradeable to 2 Terabytes (500GB Increments)
    IP Addresses Upgradeable to 32 (with justification)
    ADDITIONAL OPTIONS (SOFTWARE4) DETAILS
    Plesk w/ Licenses: 30, 100, or Unlimited
    PRICE PER PACKAGE
    I do not recommend locking in a one year commitment on a dedicated server. How many users do you expect on at a time? If its only about 100 per day you may be able to get away with a shared hosting account...

Comment

• stone0075
      • Apr 2006
      • 4.1.x

It's all new so I'm figuring less then 30 to start off with, I just don't want any hassles in a few months when it starts to pick up speed that all. I'll be doing a lot of advertising to attract people to the forum...

thanks for your reply!
      John.

Comment

• Joshs
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by stone0075
        It's all new so I'm figuring less then 30 to start off with, I just don't want any hassles in a few months when it starts to pick up speed that all. I'll be doing a lot of advertising to attract people to the forum...

thanks for your reply!
        John.
        I think that you should start with a shared account then. Its really not that hard to move to a dedicated server later on. Getting a dedicated server right off the bat is not the best decision unless you are sure that you need it. You can save money, hassle, and whatnot by starting with shared. Dedicateds are a significant responsibility to manage so if you can't handle that you should pay a third party to manage it for you. Also, I don't recommend getting a celeron if you do decide to get a dedicated and expect large growth.

Comment

• stone0075
          • Apr 2006
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Joshs
          I think that you should start with a shared account then. Its really not that hard to move to a dedicated server later on. Getting a dedicated server right off the bat is not the best decision unless you are sure that you need it. You can save money, hassle, and whatnot by starting with shared. Dedicateds are a significant responsibility to manage so if you can't handle that you should pay a third party to manage it for you. Also, I don't recommend getting a celeron if you do decide to get a dedicated and expect large growth.
          Joshs,
          Thanks for your help!! I'll keep all this in mind..

John.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...