X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cedric.C
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.5.x

Quik question

On April fools day my cousin told me his vb board was illegal. But of course he was kidding and he said "Please I dont want to risk going to jail, I only need 1 vbulletin board" as well as I do, but when he said that the question keeps running in my head "Will you really go to jail?". I am just curious will you if you are running an illegal board??
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Hello,

Thank you for contacting vBulletin Piracy.

No, you do not go to jail if your intentions are right and follow our initial DMCA email instructions.

When we find a site that's potentially running our software without a license we will check our customer database to try and find it. If we can not find it we give PirateReports.com the job to look deeper into this and contact the site owner and their hosting provider. We will point out that we can't find a license in our system and request to provide one. If they can't to remove the software (stop using it) and otherwise buy a license. We will point out that not respecting the request can result in us taking a higher step, like contacting the hosting provider with the request to uphold their piracy policy. This might result in having the account suspended or removed. If the hosting provider doesn't want to help out we will contact their data center. If things lead nowhere we can take legal steps. You would have to check the laws of your country what the penalty is for breaking copyright law.

I am sure if a user gets busted running a pirated copy that they either buy a license or remove their account. And otherwise their host will remove their account (at least suspend it).

Piracy is a crime, and we deal with it as such. We just first give the user an option to resolve his mistake.

If a board is reported for being suspected to run unlicensed and we check the URL and find a valid and active license we won't contact the owner or hosting provider. We simply close the piracy report ticket, (after checking if they don't run multiple instances on the same license or have a history of running unlicensed, etc).

All the best,

Comment

• Cedric.C
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Floris
      Hello,

Thank you for contacting vBulletin Piracy.

No, you do not go to jail if your intentions are right and follow our initial DMCA email instructions.

When we find a site that's potentially running our software without a license we will check our customer database to try and find it. If we can not find it we give PirateReports.com the job to look deeper into this and contact the site owner and their hosting provider. We will point out that we can't find a license in our system and request to provide one. If they can't to remove the software (stop using it) and otherwise buy a license. We will point out that not respecting the request can result in us taking a higher step, like contacting the hosting provider with the request to uphold their piracy policy. This might result in having the account suspended or removed. If the hosting provider doesn't want to help out we will contact their data center. If things lead nowhere we can take legal steps. You would have to check the laws of your country what the penalty is for breaking copyright law.

I am sure if a user gets busted running a pirated copy that they either buy a license or remove their account. And otherwise their host will remove their account (at least suspend it).

Piracy is a crime, and we deal with it as such. We just first give the user an option to resolve his mistake.

If a board is reported for being suspected to run unlicensed and we check the URL and find a valid and active license we won't contact the owner or hosting provider. We simply close the piracy report ticket, (after checking if they don't run multiple instances on the same license or have a history of running unlicensed, etc).

All the best,
      Oh, ok. Thankyou. I was just very curious.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...