X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hornstar6969
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Need vps host to support big database.

I'm looking for a host that will support my site as it grows as I have been suspended several times im now moving to a vps. I would go for a dedicated but I dont have that kind of money. My budget is around $50 a month.

My database is 900 megs and I do around 50-60 gigs of bandwidth a month. I average about 100 members on at any time.

My site was starting to grow quite good as its still a fairly new site. I would appreciate any support in searching for the right host that will be able to support this database and be around $50 a month.

Thanks
    Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

• Curtis H.
    • Dec 2003

PowerVPS and ServInt have good reputations and plans that may fit your needs. Both are reported to have top notch support and services. I have no personal experience with either provider.
    :cool:

Comment

• akoj
      • Jun 2004
      • 3.6.x

I have been with Fluid Hosting almost since my forum opened..they have been great in helping me as my forum grew...maybe the centOS medium would work for you? http://fluidhosting.com/vps/pricing.php
      Be "Tween" Talk Forums | Kids Craft Club | Spina Bifida Connection

Comment

• KingSpade
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.5.x

Do you normally have a steady 100 users online at once, or is it a mix of guests and members together? If you are running 100 members online at once, you may wish to look into a dedicated or look to split a dedicated server with another webmaster (if that choice is available for you).

The 40-50 mark is usually the time to move away from shared hosting and into VPS, then once you begin in the 100's, then dedicated is normally the next option. Given, it is also a more expensive option at that.

I know you have stated upfront your budget is in the $50/month range, however, it's more time consuming and forces more downtime to your forum having to bounce around from host to host.

Comment

• balikci
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by KingSpade
          Do you normally have a steady 100 users online at once, or is it a mix of guests and members together? If you are running 100 members online at once, you may wish to look into a dedicated or look to split a dedicated server with another webmaster (if that choice is available for you).

The 40-50 mark is usually the time to move away from shared hosting and into VPS, then once you begin in the 100's, then dedicated is normally the next option. Given, it is also a more expensive option at that.

I know you have stated upfront your budget is in the $50/month range, however, it's more time consuming and forces more downtime to your forum having to bounce around from host to host.
          Hello KingSpade, what your suggestion for my site? looking for a vps or ded server, budget: 50$/70$

online users: 15-20 sometimes: 25
          guests: 30-40

normally total online + guest users: 40-50 (day time)

256mb ram VPS can handle my site?

Thank you

Comment

• hornstar6969
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by KingSpade

I meant it had about 40-50 members and 40-50 guests on at the same time. The total members each day was about 500 so the members were quite active. I almost have 10 000 members. (so alot of those are a 1 time member.)

I would like to split a dedicated server with someone, but currently dont know anyone that would be able to do this, and unless I can trust them, I would feel uneasy doing that option. but if someone is interested in splitting a dedicated server which is about $120 max so it will be $60 each i would think about it.

Also would I be able to upload my 900 meg database using SSH without errors because it was not compressed?

I have a problem with http://fluidhosting.com/vps/pricing.php because they only have MySQL Server 3.23.58 installed, any currently, I bought a VPS and they only have the same mysql version, and they are in the process of upgrading, but taking there time, and thats why im looking for a suitable one, so i can claim my money back within the 30 days. I was told by the admin here that version 4.x is minimum to run VB.

I guess I may have to go for a dedicated in which case my budget would be $120USD but would only work if i do find someone to help me cover the cost.

But if anyone feels a VPS would cover me until I can get the money or a contact to help pay for the dedicated then let me know of a suitable vps host thanks.
            Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...