Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ERuiz
    • Apr 2003

JSP and PHP?

Maybe this is a bit off-topic, but I know this is the best place to ask, with all you knowledgable folks out there.

Ok, I currently am running VB 3.5.4 on a PHP server. For my website, I need to incorporate some .jsp scripts. My current web hosting company does not support Java Server Pages.

My question is. Can I run PHP scripts and JSP scripts on the same server, if there is such a web hosting solution out there? I am not sure about this.

If not, then my best option is to keep my PHP server for running VB and my regular website files and get myself a small JSP web hosting account and run the jsp scripts there?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

Unusual to find someone mixing the two but if you have your own server it reasonably easy to do.

Most like have Apache on the front serving all documents and use mod_proxy to server JSP files via Tomcat.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• ERuiz
      • Apr 2003

Thanks for the quick response, Scott. Ok, I do not have my own server. I am running my website off a regular web hosting reseller account. The account has only PHP/MySQL. I asked them about jsp support and they already said that they do not support it.

In other words, there might be web hosting solutions out there, that allow me to run PHP alongside with JSP?

Comment

• encryption
        • May 2005

As scott mentioned, it's unusual to see a mix of both and in my experience, webhosts wont usually install another technology on the box only for 1 client. This would be possible if you get your own server.
        www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
        www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• ERuiz
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by encryption
          As scott mentioned, it's unusual to see a mix of both and in my experience, webhosts wont usually install another technology on the box only for 1 client. This would be possible if you get your own server.
          Hi encryption,

I went ahead and got myself a new webhoster, which says that runs both PHP and JSP on the same account. I even have my own dedicated IP. Would this be ok to run VB and my JSP scripts? I could give you a link to them, but I don't want to violate any VB policy by perhaps advertising for them here, if I post their link.

Comment

• encryption
            • May 2005

I am not a programmer so I dont know if what you will post I could give you advise on, but logic says, if they are allowing you to run php AND JSP and thats what you are coding in, it should work by all accounts.

Another good thing to "test" out with your new webhost is their support, go ahead and send them your scripts and ask them to help you install it. You will find out pretty quick how good (or otherwise) they are

Comment

• ERuiz
              • Apr 2003

As a matter of fact, Encryption, that is what I did last night! I opened a support ticket, sent them a copy of the package and explained everything. They said they will do their best to evaluate the package and see if they can install it. Hopefully, it should work out.

Comment

• encryption
                • May 2005

good luck, who is your new webhost by the way ?

Comment

• ERuiz
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by encryption
                  good luck, who is your new webhost by the way ?
                  Well, right now it's www.dailyrazor.com and they are the ones trying to deploy the package for me. But they have already said that most likely they won't be able to.

I also contacted a friend of mine, who owns www.ackoo.com and he is next on queue. He said they could most likely be able to deploy the package, after I sent it to them and they had a chance to take a look at it. So if my current one can't get the job done, I will then get a refund and try with ackoo.com

Comment

• encryption
                    • May 2005

seems like a haul.... good luck with your endeavour

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...