X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unnetboardguy
    • Apr 2005

Web Hosting Suggestions

Fellow vBulletin-ers,

I'll start by apologizing in advance to the mods for I have looked and didn't find the best place for this thread so if this is innapropriate I apologize and mean no harm.

I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on hosting companies out there. I'm an old communitech customer from back in the day before they were bought out by interland. We quickly left interland for Hard Hat Hosting which is a company made from old communitech customers in a nutshell.

As a result I've 'worked' with the same guys since 1998 and have thoroughly enjoyed their services. I think they're great guys, and have good service, the prices aren't the best, but the relationship is such that I can even call them on their cellphones if there's a problem anytime and I can get it taken care of.

However...

Due to a series of issues internal to our processes and the fact we have officially beat our server to death we are in dire need to get onto a new server. The server we had was a 1.7 celeron w/ 512 running linux/sphera. It's done us well, but the server has some failure issues, and is due to be replaced. HHH said they'd hook us up w/ a new server but our cost would go up to almost 300/mo (from 139) or we'd have to come up with 1200 bucks in order to keep our monthly cost.

this i cannot do.

We figured this was probably a tactic to get us to bail on them, and we're looking elsewhere now.

I've looked at 1and1 and a few other places, and I'm really torn because I know there's a ton of fly by night hosting places (we used to be one of them) and I want to find a good solution for our website that gets approximately 50-60gb of traffic monthly and sits on approximately 5gb of space.

The primary function of our site is our sweet message board brought to you by the good people at vbulletin (best move we EVER made), subsequently the board is probably 80% of our traffic.

Do any of you have any suggestions or ideas on what you've used, or who you'd recommend???

I'll throw out there, I understand this is an opinion i'm asking for and I hold no one liable for any advise I figured if there's one community out there where I would feel comfortable asking this question it'd be this one.

Thank you all in advance for your time, and again, my apologies if this is posted in an innapropriate place.

Sincerely,
    Michael (aka unnetboardguy)
  • G-khan
    • Oct 2002
    • 3.6.x

Hi There...........

I have been with these guys for over two years and have been real happy with them. I just upgraded to a dedicated III server with dual raid 80 gig sata Hd's with nightly backup and 2 gigs memory on a 2.8 Pentium 4 for 230 a month. 30 of that price is for the nightly backup and another 20 for the extra gig of memory. So you could get my setup for 180 or get a dedicated I server for about what you pay now. They are connected to multiple OC3's and have unlimited bandwidth.. You can reach these guys by voice any time night or day.. I have been very happy with them.. Very fast....

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

Your best bet would be to go through the many threads over at the vBulletin Hosting Forum.

Discuss PHP and MySQL hosting here. Find out which hosts people like, and which to stay well clear of.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Moved to the appropriate forum
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• RaceJunkie
          • Jun 2005
          • 3.8.x

You could also try WHT that is wher i found my host fuse9

Good luck to you..

Comment

• NEXCS-Greg
            • Sep 2005
            • 3.5.x

It's hard to choose a good hosting company. I can recommend a few to stay away from

And try not to be lured in by the promise of *unlimited* or *unmetered* something or other, because there's usually a catch.
            Greg Swaney
            [email protected]
            NEXCESS.NET Internet Solutions
            http://nexcess.net

Comment

• quitsmoking
              • Mar 2006
              • 3.6.x

From my experience, I strongly recommend:
              www.site5.com
              www.liquidweb.com
              Many of my sites are on their servers for two years now.

I have a new forum with godaddy.com but I can't judge them (just a few days now).

Comment

• encryption
                • May 2005

I've heard nightmares about godaddy's hosting side, this and other webhosting gossip curteosy of webhostingtalk.com
                www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• Joshs
                  • Jan 2001

If you are willing to try a new company, take a look at: www.softlayer.com

I don't have any experience with them whatsoever, but their management team moved from The Planet to build SL.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...