X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierguy
    • May 2003
    • 4.1.x

F5 sold

There have been several problems with outages lately, so today I took a look at their to site find out <a href="http://www.f5hosting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1644">they've been sold</a> to a company called "My Virtual Hosting." Looking at their page, their prices seem to be substantially higher than those of F5. Does anybody have experience with them?

Best of luck, Michael. You ran a great company.
  • eclectica
    • Sep 2003
    • 3.6.x

They have a thread about it there

I pay monthly so hopefully they will continue to provide good service, but if not I do not have to wait a year to move on.

I noticed that the webhosting packages of My Virtual Hosting are small on the bandwidth limit, which would be inadequate for even small forums.

I'll keep an eye on my server load and forum downtime. My IP of my forum is so new that whois.sc doesn't even have it indexed for the reverse IP lookup, so I don't yet know how many other sites are working on the same server.
    Last edited by eclectica; Mon 20 Mar '06, 6:12pm.

Comment

• pierguy
      • May 2003
      • 4.1.x

I made the mistake of paying for a full year.

The new company has been a disaster--constant outages are the rule, rather than the exception. Their constant backups are making posts disappear and my site users are getting ticked off.

Unless this clears up soon, I wouldn't touch this new company with a 10-foot pole.

*sigh* Any hosting recommendations for a site with roughly 25 GB/month bandwidth that's VB friendly?

Comment

• Mainer82
        • Apr 2003
        • 1.1.x

I too and having issues with the new "host". I am lookin around for comparable hosts and will report back.

Comment

• thenicevoice
          • Nov 2003

I am livid. I have received over 1000 database errors within the past 24 hours. My site has been down more over the past 2-3 days than it's EVER been.

While I realize that we don't live in a perfect world . . .it would have been nice to know that this transition was going to take place. It's called common courtesy. It took me quite some time to secure an outstanding webhosting provider . . .and just like THAT, everything has gone to the toilet.

I am definately looking for an alternate host. Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comment

• Mainer82
            • Apr 2003
            • 1.1.x

I am considering ASO. I know in the past they did not allow SSH mysql, I am trying to find out if that's true or not.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

As far as I know ASO does allow SSH, at least in my epxirence with working with users who are hosted by ASO. Ask them directly

Comment

• Colin F
                • May 2004

ASO gives SSH access, you'll just have to ask for it, as it's not in by default.
                I use it myself.
                Best Regards
                Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• encryption
                  • May 2005

or you guys can try searching on webhostingtalk.com for dependable webhosting companies
                  www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                  www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• zanack
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 3.6.x

I think it's really sad that things are not working out. I was with F5 up until February of this year and found it to be an outstanding company until the final 2/3 months. I left because I sensed that Michael was showing less interest and became concerned when I was having a few problems regards server load and his responses to me didn't stack up with what I was seeing.

I decided to move on - something had changed not just with the server load, but with the responses I was getting. They seemed less friendly and helpful which presumably were reflective of the changes he was making. I went to EuroVPS and moved all my sites under one roof which has worked out very well so far. I was sad at leaving F5 given its history - but this change hasn't entirely surprised me. Change seemed to be in the air.

I hope that the new company get it together so that difficulties people are now experiencing become history very quickly. It's not easy changing hosting particularly when people have been so settled with a good company. However, downtime is frustrating and this was never previously a big issue for F5.

Comment

• Mainer82
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 1.1.x

ASO does support SSH, but I remember I could not use the mysql command. I have a thread on their forums asking about it right now.

Comment

• encryption
                        • May 2005

I dont imagine they'd let you use mysql commands via ssh because clients uploading massive databases to shared accounts would bring servers to their knees. I guess that's where phpmyadmin shines (from a webhosts perspective) ..... forces clients to keep database upload sizes to a level the server can handle without killing itself
                        Last edited by encryption; Tue 21 Mar '06, 12:15pm.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by encryption
                          I dont imagine they'd let you use mysql commands via ssh because clients uploading massive databases to shared accounts would bring servers to their needs. I guess that's where phpmyadmin shines (from a webhosts perspective) ..... forces clients to keep database upload sizes to a level the server can handle without killing itself
                          But, phpmyadmin dies after about 2mb, so thats a horrible view

Comment

• encryption
                            • May 2005

agreed, but what would you rather do as a webhost if you have several accounts on the same server ?

I would personally just do the migration on my own rather than create an inconvenience for the client who is moving in (with the 2 mb uploads) OR frustrate the existing clients where the server stops responding through the upload process

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

I allow all of my clients access to SSH and also help them with moving. I would never frustrate one of my users like that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...