Will the business hosting plan on lunarpages.com work?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LABachlr
    • Mar 2006

Will the business hosting plan on lunarpages.com work?

I have a client for whom I am building a website that will eventually have a massive database of talent. As it stands now, they have 1000 people that could possibly be in their database. This will be a searchable database so that employers can go in and find what they are looking for quickly and easily.

They would also like a forum where their members can chat.

1. Will the business hosting plan on lunarpages.com be sufficient for this site?

Specs:

• Host 10 Sites on 1 Account!!
    • 4 FREE Domain Names For Life
    • UNLIMITED MySQL Databases
    • Up To 8000 Megabytes Storage
    • 800 Gigabytes Data Transfer
    • E-Commerce
    • Blog, Forum & Photo Gallery
    • Microsoft® Frontpage® Compatible
    • Spam Protection
    • Includes 3 Addon Domains
    More info
    Best web hosting & domain name registration. Start your website with HostPapa & get the best 24/7 support on all our web hosting plans.

Are those specs sufficient?

2. Should the forum be on its own dedicated server instead? Even in the beginning when we're not sure how big the site will get?

3. If not, then at what point will we need to put the forum on a dedicated server, if at all?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Better check with Lunarpages. IIRC they do not allow vB forums on their servers. Also do a search of that host on these forums.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• LABachlr
      • Mar 2006

Just checked with lunarpages. They do allow vbulletin. They just don't like phpbb because they have had too many issues with it being exploited. So, they suggest either SMF or vBulletin.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
        • Feb 2003

In the past they got rid of everyone running vBulletin. You might want to find a host with a better history.

Comment

• gphx
          • Mar 2006

I signed up with Lunarpages yesterday.

We told them we needed PHP 5.0.05, MySql 4.1 or better (preferably better), and PHP parsed as PHP, not CGI. They guaranteed they could meet all those specs.

Later that day they set us up on a server with PHP 4.x.x. I called them and reiterated our needs so they could move us to an appropriate server. They told me to say it all again in an email. I did, it is now the next day, and the current tech support person is telling me they don't have a server that runs PHP as anything but CGI. Basically, I think someone bait and switched us to get a commission or something.

This is the second provider we've tried in a row in order to install vBulletin. I'm beginning to think a provider who meets our requirements and is reasonably priced doesn't exist.

Cheers,
          Darrin

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
            • Sep 2001

Some hosts that come well recommended by others are:
            - asmallorange (edited, oops)
            - surpasshosting
            - site5

I am with simpli.biz and thier sister company 10for10.com has good deals for smaller packages. I'd recommend them as I've recieved good support.
            Last edited by Reeve of Shinra; Fri 17 Mar '06, 6:32pm.
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• encryption
              • May 2005

^^ u mean asmallorange.com
              www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
              www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• Cromulent
                • Oct 2005
                • 3.8.x

Having PHP installed as CGI shouldn't pose any problems, at least none that I have heard of.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Well you won't be able to use vB's archive function for one.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• HoopsFan
                    • Mar 2006

I was going to go with Lunarpages, but this website scared the bajeezus out of me... lol. : http://www.diagnose-me.com/sucks/lunarpages.html

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...