X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjrambo
    • Sep 2005

DREAMHOST, DON'T USE for hosting!

This has to be the worst ever web host that I have dealt with. they have no clue as to what vbulletin is, they are always coming up with new issues to try to get me to up my plan with them. I'm sick of having to jump through hoops just to get these ass-holes off my back!

don't use them if you do anything more than 5gigs a month.

they constantly complain that my CPU mintes are more than there max of 60 allowed. last message i got was that my site used 250CPU minutes in one day. I average 15gigs a month of transfer.

hope this helps you all out.
  • sud0n1m
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.5.x

CPU Minutes

I am having the same problem with zesthost

Comment

• noex
      • Mar 2006

some problem with dreamhost!

Comment

• jjrambo
        • Sep 2005

and they are still giving me issues, and they wonder why i'm switching hosts.

Comment

• teamelusive
          • Dec 2004

yeah, i just got that msg myself =( currently using 117 outta the 60 allowed... anyways to lower it? pretty lame i must say!

Comment

• sross
            • Mar 2004

been there done that. it pays to find a vb friendly host, these guys I use actually do many vbulletin upgrades for their customers so they know the app and host many boards http://www.realwebhost.net I run a dedicated server with them and a few vb sites. Feel free to PM me if you want any info my main board is at http://www.apug.org
            Before I went dedicated I was on their shared plan and never had issues. Before that I was on lunarpages using about 5% of their "plan" before they quarantined my board without warning on a box that crashed every 15minutes. When I tried to get support for the crashes they said "sorry, your site is on a quarantine server which we do not support". I could barely get my site off the thing to transfer it, it was insane and I was livid. Joey at realwebhost did the transfer for me to their systems (this must have been 2 yrs ago or more) and I've been sweet since.

Comment

• TheMusicMan
              • Oct 2002
              • 3.7.x

There are many threads on best selection of webhosts for running a vB site. Try a search - or take a look at ASmallOrange.com
              John

Comment

• SuperJETT
                • Mar 2006
                • 3.5.x

I left RWH and moved to Dreamhost due to uptime/service issues. Now I'm having the same CPU usage issues with Dreamhost as everyone else and looking at alternatives.

Just to affirm this thread, Dreamhost is not vbulletin friendly due to running php as cgi instead of an Apache module. Their uptime has been good and they are quick on fixing problems.

Originally posted by sross
                been there done that. it pays to find a vb friendly host, these guys I use actually do many vbulletin upgrades for their customers so they know the app and host many boards http://www.realwebhost.net I run a dedicated server with them and a few vb sites. Feel free to PM me if you want any info my main board is at http://www.apug.org
                Before I went dedicated I was on their shared plan and never had issues. Before that I was on lunarpages using about 5% of their "plan" before they quarantined my board without warning on a box that crashed every 15minutes. When I tried to get support for the crashes they said "sorry, your site is on a quarantine server which we do not support". I could barely get my site off the thing to transfer it, it was insane and I was livid. Joey at realwebhost did the transfer for me to their systems (this must have been 2 yrs ago or more) and I've been sweet since.

Comment

• encryption
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by SuperJETT
                  Now I'm having the same CPU usage issues with Dreamhost as everyone else and looking at alternatives.

Dreamhost is not vbulletin friendly due to running php as cgi instead of an Apache module. Their uptime has been good and they are quick on fixing problems.
                  Wait I'm confused, you start by syaing you're having CPU usage issues with Dreamhost but they have good uptime

Long story short, are you pleased/displeased with your hosting with them ?
                  www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                  www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• SuperJETT
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by encryption
                    Wait I'm confused, you start by syaing you're having CPU usage issues with Dreamhost but they have good uptime

Long story short, are you pleased/displeased with your hosting with them ?
                    Uptime is different than cpu usage issues. Uptime is what percentage of the time their servers are running and serving up pages. CPU usage problems are related to what amount of cpu time is consumed by vbulletin/php during the day which they have shared accounts limited to 60 minutes worth/day. My lowest in the past week has been 117.

They are completely separate issues, but no, I'm not pleased since I cannot abide by their terms with vbulletin, even on my lightest days I'm double their limit.

Comment

• encryption
                      • May 2005

Tell me, how does making that differenciation make it ANY better to the end user? Whether the server itself goes down OR your site gets disabled/locked up because of extensive CPU usage, bottom line is your site is offline to your users (which should really be your primary concern). So unless you're a spokeperson for that company, it doesnt really matter which way you break it down. (I help manage a webhosting company btw).

From my personal experience as a webhost, the percentage of webhosting clients actually putting up static html sites is growing smaller. With fantastico offering single click installs for Forums / Blogs / PhotoBlogs, it's crazy to see webhosts out there wanting to overcrowd servers and suffocate the CPU usage for clients just so they can make more on a per server basis.

I think hosting companies can definitely improve the overall level of customer satisfaction by adopting the Mc Donalds principal (which is how we do it) i.e. Profits in Volume, not in margins.
                      Last edited by encryption; Fri 26 May '06, 5:47am.

Comment

• express
                        • Apr 2001
                        • 3.6.x

I left RWH and moved to Dreamhost due to uptime/service issues.
                        The reason this happened was the fact we were in the middle of putting around 30 new servers online and changing out old ones. During this process we moved clients around to spread the mysql and apache usage around evenly.
                        I know that is no excuse but that is what happened. I will say that that superJett was the only client that left at the time.

SuperJett we hope you have good luck wherever you end up. We try to do the best that we can and be as honest as we can. One thing we do not do and never have done is to go and bash someone everytime we get a chance.
                        Real Web Host

Comment

• encryption
                          • May 2005

yep, they do have good reviews on here and wht as well

Comment

• bluesoul
                            • Jul 2004
                            • 3.5.x

This is very confusing to me. I've used dreamhost for about 15 months now and I couldn't be happier. They're constantly upgrading hardware, their support has been great, and I haven't received this CPU quota message (then again, my vB is fairly small right now). I did compile my own installation of PHP, perhaps that has something to do with it.

Comment

• GreysAnatomy
                              • May 2005
                              • 3.7.x

I've been through a real mess with DreamHost too. I unlocked my domain and everything in order to switch over to DreamHost but they just couldn't do it. In the end, I had to renew at my old host PLUS pay an additional fee for the switch, which was supposed to be for free, to DreamHost.

My board has been down for days because of them and I couldn't even reach my members. It was a real mess.

And now that everything is done, they tell me I can't send out Admin mails through my AdminCP because apparently, I'm violating their spam rules or something. I've asked for help here, well more for reassurance than for help actually. DreamHost tells me I need an opt-in system for members who wanna receive Admin mails. Apparently, checking a box while signing up and being able to uncheck it anytime you want is violating their spam rules. Members need to be logged by their IP address, date and time too. Their suggestion: You might consider having a programmer add the IP address and date to the logging information script.

To sum it up: Don't sign up there even if it sound appealing. It's fine just for hosting big files and such, but for vBulletin, it's crap!

This is taken directly from their spam policy: In particular, "spam" has proven to be a major problem for many of our customers and the Internet at large. Spam is a common slang term referring to the sending of unsolicited email, instant messaging, or other communication to a large group of people at once. Variations on this practice include off topic (and usually promotional) messages on bulletin boards, guestbooks, Usenet newsgroups, or chat rooms.
                              Last edited by GreysAnatomy; Mon 19 Jun '06, 11:33pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...