X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COBRAws
    • May 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by jjrambo
    This has to be the worst ever web host that I have dealt with. they have no clue as to what vbulletin is, they are always coming up with new issues to try to get me to up my plan with them. I'm sick of having to jump through hoops just to get these ass-holes off my back!

don't use them if you do anything more than 5gigs a month.

they constantly complain that my CPU mintes are more than there max of 60 allowed. last message i got was that my site used 250CPU minutes in one day. I average 15gigs a month of transfer.

hope this helps you all out.
    Well, I sent them an email and never got a reply. Now I see this. Good choice i made

Comment

• Protonus
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by SuperJETT
      Dreamhost is not vbulletin friendly due to running php as cgi instead of an Apache module.
      This can be changed. Just make a support ticket asking them to make your PHP an Apache mod. They can definetly do it - they did it for me
      It's PHP4 when Apache though, not 5.

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
        • Dec 2006
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Protonus
        This can be changed. Just make a support ticket asking them to make your PHP an Apache mod. They can definetly do it - they did it for me
        It's PHP4 when Apache though, not 5.
        This is a lot of nonsense. I have a vBulletin forum with light to medium traffic on DreamHost, and I have had very few problems with them.

I've been using them since the first of the year. If you have qualms, check out www.theparacast.com/forums and see how it performs for yourself.

I can see where a heavy traffic situation would tax any shared host, but that's not exclusive to DreamHost.

Peace,
        Gene

Comment

• beernuts
          • Aug 2005

Another very dissatisfied Dreamhost user. I had two accounts with them. The first one was on a solid server with almost no down time. The second one was severely overloaded, and constantly suffered from outages. The MySQL database would constantly lose connectivity as well. Once I started my vB forum, it wasn't long before they started giving me that tired old CPU minute song and dance. I found that laughable given how shoddy the service was. Needless to say, I cancelled both accounts.

The second server that I was on was overloaded. Pure and simple.

-Nick

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
            • Dec 2006
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by beernuts
            Another very dissatisfied Dreamhost user. I had two accounts with them. The first one was on a solid server with almost no down time. The second one was severely overloaded, and constantly suffered from outages. The MySQL database would constantly lose connectivity as well. Once I started my vB forum, it wasn't long before they started giving me that tired old CPU minute song and dance. I found that laughable given how shoddy the service was. Needless to say, I cancelled both accounts.

The second server that I was on was overloaded. Pure and simple.

-Nick
            Color me skeptical, but what sort of traffic did you get on your forum and what server load did you see displayed in your Admin panel when this was going on?

Peace,
            Gene

Comment

• JakeS
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jjrambo
              This has to be the worst ever web host that I have dealt with. they have no clue as to what vbulletin is, they are always coming up with new issues to try to get me to up my plan with them. I'm sick of having to jump through hoops just to get these ass-holes off my back!

don't use them if you do anything more than 5gigs a month.

they constantly complain that my CPU mintes are more than there max of 60 allowed. last message i got was that my site used 250CPU minutes in one day. I average 15gigs a month of transfer.

hope this helps you all out.
              CPU Minutes? Damn.

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
                • Dec 2006
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by JakeS
                CPU Minutes? Damn.
                DreamHost does not have a posted policy with regard to CPU minutes. Just wanted another reality check here.

In any case, they also have a Wiki at their site that explains such things and where things might go overboard and even how to check CPU usage for yourself, if you're so inclined.

Peace,
                Gene

Comment

• JakeS
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Gene Steinberg
                  DreamHost does not have a posted policy with regard to CPU minutes. Just wanted another reality check here.

In any case, they also have a Wiki at their site that explains such things and where things might go overboard and even how to check CPU usage for yourself, if you're so inclined.

Peace,
                  Gene
                  Well its not my place to post here and about hosting for a very good reason, check my signature, that's why its not my place to post here.

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by JakeS
                    Well its not my place to post here and about hosting for a very good reason, check my signature, that's why its not my place to post here.
                    Understood, although you did it anyway

In any case, when I read things that don't seem to fit the facts, I wonder if some of these complaints are rare exceptions, written out of whole cloth, or from competitors in disguise.

I've been through several hosts over the years and DreamHost has done better than the others. Obviously if they fail me big time, I move, but I know there is no such thing as perfection either.

Oh yes: Feel free to check my profile to see what I do for a living.

Peace,
                    Gene

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 3.8.x

Hmmm....strange how you hear the sounds of silence when a little dose of reality is presented.

Perhaps this entire thread should be tossed into the trashbin, where it belongs.

Peace,
                      Gene
                      (in other words -- nothing personal)

Comment

• c0bra
                        • Apr 2001

In short, don't use hosts who grossly oversell if you're serious about your website.

168gb of disk space
                        1.6tb of bandwidth
                        $9.95 a month

What planet are they on?

Comment

• Gene Steinberg
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by c0bra
                          In short, don't use hosts who grossly oversell if you're serious about your website.

168gb of disk space
                          1.6tb of bandwidth
                          $9.95 a month

What planet are they on?
                          In short, ignore the people who post this FUD. Each host is different and how they manage resources is different, and I've been using DreamHost since the end of 2006, and -- other than one issue with a critical power line repair at their datacenter -- they have worked extremely well.

I notice that you have no valid information to offer, like the others who were afraid to respond to my comments.

So I'll remind you that your ISP oversells, your electric company oversells, your wireless provider oversells, etc. That's normal. The real issue is whether a company can manage growth when more of its resources are required.

Peace,
                          Gene

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

This is not the place for ongoing disputes. Thread closed.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...