X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novabandit
    • Feb 2006

About to drop HostRocket!!!

I've about had it with HostRocket!

I've had a few times where the site was unavailable for 5-8 minutes. I don't like it but I can live with that.

I've had NO site statistics for the majority of days over the past two weeks. I've opened 4 trouble calls for this, and each time they've told me they found the problem, and it's fixed. I don't like, but I can live with it.

But today. Today. They had a dard drive fail on the server I'm on. Server 85. No big deal, right? Well, it wouldn't have been a big deal IF THEY WERE USING RAID5 LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!

The Tech proceeds to tell me that my host server is RAID1!!! I asked if they had RAID5 servers, and the tech replied, Oh Yeah, but not the one you are on!!!
    So, one disk on my host server dies and takes out my site for an hour and a half. Thats really starting to push it with me. But now, get this. Because Host85 was set up at RAID1, they had to restore off of a backup. From yesterday afternoon. 24 hours ago. I have even planned for this occurence. I had a crontab job set up to run at 3am every day. Well, it failed for the first time in 2 weeks, and I didn't get the backup. So, now I'm stuck with a forum that has lost a FULL DAY of posts, PM, EVERYTHING!

I'm starting to get pissed.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hosting PHP and MySQL?
  • rdsx
    • Oct 2005
    • 3.6.x

Comment

• Bootwaffle.com
      • Mar 2006
      • 3.5.x

www.site5.com > Everything else.
      Bootwaffle.com Forums - Officially and proudly powered by vBulletin.

Comment

• novabandit
        • Feb 2006

Before anyone corrects me, I do know my RAID levels. I know that RAID1 is mirroring. Either the tech I talked to was a total fool (probable) and they had some other error besides the drive failure, or they just straight up don't have things configured correctly. Besides, I find it hard to believe that a webhost would actually use a RAID1 setup. RAID4 or 5 would seem like a better choice.

Comment

• King Internet
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Bootwaffle.com
          agreeing

Comment

• Quillz
            • Nov 2004
            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Bootwaffle.com
            I don't know about every other hosting site on the net, but Site5.com is very good.
            Forums

Comment

• KingSpade
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.5.x

Raid 5 isn't as common of a setup as you make it out to be, many hosts still use Raid 1. Switching the drives in such a setup isn't rocket science and given it is setup and functioning correctly, data loss shouldn't be evident.

There's nothing specifically wrong with using Raid 1, however, with any setup, single drive or multi-drive, the drives should be monitored. I would have expected a larger company such as HostRocket to be on the ball a bit more, however, I've never dealt with them so that's all I can really say about them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...