Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldford
    • Jul 2003

Upgrarde to a P4 3.0 or Xeon 2.4?

I currently have a P4 1.80 GHz dedicated server and I'm looking to upgrade. My question is whether a P4 3.0 w/ HT will be enough of a jump or if I need to go to something better like a Dual 2.4GHz Xeon. Obviously bigger is better, but I don't want to spend the extra $ if I'll be fine with the P4 3.0.

My forum stats:
    75-125 users online average (stats show more but many are search engine bots)
    500 posts/day
    7,000 members
    450,000 posts

Thanks!
  • RichM
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.0.x

A 3GHz P4 would be sufficient although I'd advise at least 1.5GB RAM to be on the safe side.

In my opinion, It wouldn't hurt to have a dual xeon. It is much better to over-kill than it is to under-kill, not only that, but plenty room for growth is also something you should have.

If you really cannot afford a Dual Xeon, then don't worry about it. You don't desperately need one yet. When taking your current specifications into account, a 3GHz P4 would be a good jump from what you already have.

Check out www.servermatrix.com

Possible server:

Intel P4 3.6GHz
    HDD: 160GB SATA
    Bandwidth: 1200GB
    Network connection: 100mbit
    Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
    Control Panel: CPanel/WHM with Fantastico

Price = $199

NOTE: It'd be $20 cheaper to have a P4 3.2GHz machine with an 80GB hard drive.

You may also want to check out www.webhostingtalk.com. Often, ThePlanet and ServerMatrix advertise special deals on there which allow you to get a particular server for cheaper. Search the user "YourHost" on WebHostingTalk.com if you're interested.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by RichM; Mon 6 Mar '06, 1:09am.

Comment

• encryption
      • May 2005

yes you will definitely get by on a P4 3.0 ghz machine. I have traffic patterns nearly identical to yours but I'm also streaming off of the same box and it's working fine. My server config

P4 3.0 ghz
      1 gb Ram
      120 GB HD
      www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
      www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• oldford
        • Jul 2003

Thanks for the input guys. I think I can get a Dual 2.0GHz Xeon for just a little more than the P4 3.0 so I might go with that as a compromize.

Comment

• oldford
          • Jul 2003

OK, how about this comparison; Would I be better off getting a P4 3.0Ghz w/ RAID1 or a Dual 2.4GHz Xeon w/ single IDE drive?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...