X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2ndCz
    • Feb 2006
    • 3.5.x

Accounts per Server

Is there any way I can discover how many people are crammed into hosting on the server I'm on with my company (yahoo). A way other than asking them myself. They dont seem to disclose it, or at least I haven't found it anywhere. And due to the performance issues I'm getting, I'm suspect that due to their big name and the lag and downtown, they must really be cramming everyone on.

Is there some kind of ping I can do or a whois or something like that which would reveal this info to me? Purely curious on my part. I'm switching hosts eventually, so all in all it doesn't matter. Just wondering.
    Second Citizen: Where online virtual worlds collide. (MMOGs)
    www.secondcitizen.com | forums.secondcitizen.com
  • RichM
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.0.x

I believe Yahoo have disabled many PHP functions. This will most likely result in your board not functioning properly. If I were you, I'd find another host.

To find out how many domains are on a particular server as well as other information such as whois lookups, you can use www.whois.sc. You will need to register.

Comment

• 2ndCz
      • Feb 2006
      • 3.5.x

Thanks RichM.

Yes, I'm already moving and in the process of finding a new host. My vBulletin worked fine on Yahoo, however. It was just a matter of the downtime and speed being horrible there which I chalked up to overloading servers.

Thanks for the whois.sc info. I'll check that out.

Comment

• 2ndCz
        • Feb 2006
        • 3.5.x

"Reverse IP: Web server hosts 376132 websites (reverse ip tool requires free login)"

Well that explains the really bad service.

Comment

• simsim
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.6.x

Web server hosts 376132 websites!!! This is completely insane.

My host's (A Small Orange) web server has 230 websites on it. I'm very much satisfied with the service quality.
          You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• encryption
            • May 2005

Originally posted by 2ndCz
            "Reverse IP: Web server hosts 376132 websites (reverse ip tool requires free login)"

That's probably some sort of server farm housing those .... definitely not a single machine (if that number is right).
            www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
            www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• KingSpade
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.5.x

Given also, if they are physically using seperate servers for DNS, then the number of websites housed could be substantially increased over what would be considered normal.

Also, a whois look-up, or reverse IP look-up does not account for the 'add-on' and 'parked' domains as they are still considered domains, whether they're active or not.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...