what kind of host would i need for this ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CnB
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.7.x

what kind of host would i need for this ?

Does anybody know what host i should go for.
    If i got a forum with portal(just for news)
    with about 12000 Members and 192 online at once at a peak.

Any suggestions for this ?
  • encryption
    • May 2005

is 192 during peak times everyday or has it happened just once.
    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• CnB
      • Jul 2005
      • 3.7.x

that was the peak so far, but at the busy hours of the day i can count on 100 users online at once for sure

Comment

• encryption
        • May 2005

You are looking for a dedicated solution with 100 simultaneous users (though if you find a host who has an empty server to spare, he could put you on a semi-dedicated solution and help you save some money).

Comment

• valen1
          • Dec 2005

re:

Originally posted by encryption
          You are looking for a dedicated solution with 100 simultaneous users (though if you find a host who has an empty server to spare, he could put you on a semi-dedicated solution and help you save some money).
          At what point does one know when they need a dedicated server? At what point does any know things would slow down by using a share hosting?

Comment

• encryption
            • May 2005

Usually, when you cross 60 - 70 active users online at one time, you will start to notice slight performance hits to the server. My own forum (running on a dedicated server) has traffic varying from 65 all the way up to 190 during peak times. I can definitely tell that the server slows down a bit. Nothing worth losing your life over.... but the difference is discernable (to me).

While you could say the same for shared hosting, it also depends on the kind of server that your hosting company has put you on. If you have only 10 - 15 users online and your forums performance is pretty slow, you know that you are being hosted on a crowded server (vBulletin performs phenomenally well because it is an incredibly well coded piece of software).

But usually when you are heading towards 60+ average traffic on a shared environment and if your webhost hasn't contacted you about it already, it's a safe bet to realize that your forum is better off on a semi-dedicated / VPS / dedicated environment for best performance because if not today, with constant growth and 5 months into the future, you will be investigating these options (your host will definitely let you know by this time ).

I have been thrown off by a few webhosts myself because they complained that my phpBB board was taking up too much of the server and they wanted me to go semi-dedicated (and I had only 30 - 40 active members online during peak times). So after getting tossed around, I finally got a dedicated server and server load with phpBB remained above 1.20 (nearly 90% of the times). We made the switch to vbulletin last year and server load dropped instantly down to 0.20 and fluctuates between 0.20 and 0.40 for the most part.... here are my server load averages right now

0.31 0.25 0.24 | 146 Users Online (80 members and 66 guests)

Hope I answered your question (based on my experiences)

Comment

• valen1
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by encryption
              Usually, when you cross 60 - 70 active users online at one time, you will start to notice slight performance hits to the server. My own forum (running on a dedicated server) has traffic varying from 65 all the way up to 190 during peak times. I can definitely tell that the server slows down a bit. Nothing worth losing your life over.... but the difference is discernable (to me).

While you could say the same for shared hosting, it also depends on the kind of server that your hosting company has put you on. If you have only 10 - 15 users online and your forums performance is pretty slow, you know that you are being hosted on a crowded server (vBulletin performs phenomenally well because it is an incredibly well coded piece of software).

But usually when you are heading towards 60+ average traffic on a shared environment and if your webhost hasn't contacted you about it already, it's a safe bet to realize that your forum is better off on a semi-dedicated / VPS / dedicated environment for best performance because if not today, with constant growth and 5 months into the future, you will be investigating these options (your host will definitely let you know by this time ).

I have been thrown off by a few webhosts myself because they complained that my phpBB board was taking up too much of the server and they wanted me to go semi-dedicated (and I had only 30 - 40 active members online during peak times). So after getting tossed around, I finally got a dedicated server and server load with phpBB remained above 1.20 (nearly 90% of the times). We made the switch to vbulletin last year and server load dropped instantly down to 0.20 and fluctuates between 0.20 and 0.40 for the most part.... here are my server load averages right now

0.31 0.25 0.24 | 146 Users Online (80 members and 66 guests)

Hope I answered your question (based on my experiences)

Thank you very much!

Comment

• encryption
                • May 2005

no problem......

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...