Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndySV1K
    • Mar 2005

VPS Question

I know this has probably been asked a gazillion times already so appologies, i did search but couldnt find the specific info i needed.

Im looking at moving to a VPS with Webfusion, my forum is only small at the moment but i want to host multiple sites and i want headroom for the forum to grow.

Firstly, windows or linux, i cant see any real reason to go windows server, am i right? (plus it costs more!)

secondly, do you think the spec is ok looking at the following link...

it looks pretty good for the money, but i have no real experience of running a server so i just want some peice of mind from people who "know"

lastly, is it any more difficult setting my site up on a VPS as opposed to shared hosting, obviously i already have a DB that i can put straight accross, so presumably i can get the whole site running on the new server before i make it live.

Thanks

Andy.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Unless you have some windows specific scripts that require IIS or asp/asp.net I can't see a reason for most people to choose it, at least as far as php/mysql web hosting goes. Their prices seem okish, theres alot of space, a decent ammount of bandwidth, and the cost is rather on the cheaper side.

A VPS is a WHOLE virtual server, you will be required to either manage that chunk with a control panel, or by hand. I'd highly recomend cpanel if its at all possible.

Comment

• hotrod1
      • Apr 2005

Ouch, it seems they have a bad reputation on webhostingtalk, I would stay away with them.

Comment

• AndySV1K
        • Mar 2005

Thanks for the link, i did a search on them but didnt find anything like that.

I'll keep looking around for the moment.

anyone on here reccomend a UK based host that they are using?

Andy.

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
          • Dec 2003
          • 1.1.x

As far as VPS goes, I am very satisfied with Servint.com since last 1 year..
          Check out there plans here:
          TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

• AndySV1K
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SaN-DeeP
            As far as VPS goes, I am very satisfied with Servint.com since last 1 year..
            Check out there plans here:
            http://www.servint.com/vps/
            They dont appear to UK though.

ive just found these guys, anyone have any experience with them?

Andy.

Comment

• AndySV1K
              • Mar 2005

ok an update...

just phoned interhost and got through to one of the owners, he spent a good 20-30mins on the phone with me answering all my questions and queries.

This sort of service is as important to me as the product so im gonna go with these guys and see how it goes.

will update after everything is sorted...

Andy.

Comment

• zanack
                • Jun 2004
                • 3.6.x

Good luck with it. I moved to a VPS about 3 weeks ago and so far have had a very positive experience. I'm from the UK - the server is in the Netherlands - I'm with EuroVPS. So far we've had no down time at all and the speeds are incredible. Having that chunk of server to ourselves has made a tremendous difference to the way we operate. (I have 3 vB forums and a site - all are small enough to fit the space!!). I found that my knowledge of cPanel has helped and so far, I've been able to move my sites over myself, change some settings regards mysql and all is running smoothly. I'm really enjoying the VPS environment.

The main thing is to feel comfortable with your new host so I hope it works out for you - good luck!

Comment

• AndySV1K
                  • Mar 2005

Thanks Zanack,

So far all is good.

I got an instant reply (not automated) from Interhost and they set up my VPS straight away. I placed the order at 18:00 yesterday and i got an email at 22:00 to say it was ready to use!!

Ive spent the morning setting it all up, thankfully im already used to plesk so its been pretty easy so far.

The challenge now will be moving my forum accross. For those that know is this the right order to do everything...

1: install latest copy of VB onto new server, running a blank DB

2:close down forum and take a backup

3:import backup into new server

4: open forum on new server

its sounds so easy when i put it like that!

obviously theres a bit of DNS stuff to do at the same time.

Oh i'll be going from 3.0.7 to latest

Andy.

Comment

• jamal007
                    • Feb 2006

UK London VPS

www.uk-vps.com are quality UK provider, have been using them for a while and they are tops.

Comment

• cvs
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by jamal007
                      www.uk-vps.com are quality UK provider, have been using them for a while and they are tops.
                      I'll second that. Competitively priced, quality hardware & excellent support!!

Comment

• cvs
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by AndySV1K

it looks pretty good for the money, but i have no real experience of running a server so i just want some peice of mind from people who "know"
                        Email support is slooow (~2 days) and be prepared for a wait of 20+ minutes if you opt for telephone support.

Try uk-vps.com, solarvps.com and a2b2.com

Comment

• deatheyes
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.6.x

VPS not stable

Why don't use dedicated ?
                          Optimize your website
                          Cool Wallpaper
                          All Android Rom

Comment

• Roody
                            • Mar 2002
                            • 3.6.x

Naturally if you are unfamiliar with running a VPS then support from your hosts is key. I just went the VPS route myself in the last week and thankfully I am with hosts who really go the extra mile to help a person out.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...