X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littlewilson
    • Feb 2006

Another "ISO dedicated hosting" thread

Hi all,

What can I do with around $100/month if I need dedicated hosting with a managed server (no real technophiles will be running this thing) for a vBulletin site with up to 100 concurrent users? From what I know, the site pushes about 2-3GB of traffic/day, but the real issue is the processor. The site curently consumes between about 25% and 50% of both processors in a dual Opteron 244 (I'm assuming 1GB RAM, but not sure).

The person currently managing the server reports that we had major performance gains by installing eAccelerator, but in addition to this, the site is running under Lighttpd, which is faster, but more importantly, consumes a lot less ram. Under apache, the site was using 500-600MB of ram. Lighttpd brings this down to a far more reasonable number of about 200MB.

Again - we've got around $100/month to spend and really need great support and service. What should we be looking for in terms of a provider (and hardware)?

TIA!!!
  • encryption
    • May 2005

If you presently have a managed server running Dual Opteron's with 900 GB of traffic at $100/month, can you share the URL of the datacenter thats giving you this whopping deal?
    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• littlewilson
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by encryption
      If you presently have a managed server running Dual Opteron's with 900 GB of traffic at $100/month, can you share the URL of the datacenter thats giving you this whopping deal?
      I don't. That's the problem. It's currently running on a friend's server, and due to the CPU hogging, it's time to find our own. The $100/month figure is the budget for finding our own host. Is this a totally unrealistic figure for our needs?

Comment

• encryption
        • May 2005

you wont get a managed dual opteron anywhere near those numbers, why dont you tell us about your forum ? i.e. what is your
        - DB size,
        - Average users online at any time (100 is registered and guests or ....)
        - Total Users
        - Number of posts

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Dual Opteron server with slightly less than 1TB of bandwidth? I pay almost 300 a month for a Dual Xeon with SCSI and 2GB of ram and 2TB of bandwidth, for a server that would be "better" than mine on most counts and even with half of the bandwidth, i doubt you'd be able to find such a server for that much a month, unless it was just for the hardware alone. Not to even mention management, I manage my own server, managed servers _start_ at around 500 a month for lowend servers. They can go upwards of 1000-2000 a month.

Comment

• littlewilson
            • Feb 2006

OK, now we're starting to get somewhere. Sorry, I'm a newbie at all of this and ad no idea: 1) what the minimum hardware is that we'd really need, or 2) how much it will cost.

The DB is currently about 339MB. The average number of online users is probably around 60, all registered. There are about 300 total registered users. I'm still trying to get some data on number of posts.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

You are going to want something in midrange, possibly that you can mange yourself if your budget is only 100 dollars, is that a final budget, would you be willing to go over? If so by how much? Managment is very costly, however you can probally setup and keep most of your server secure on your own if you read, pay attention, and keep software up to date. Managment tools like cpanel help for alot, and a good firewall will do alot of the rest of the work. After that you might want to find an outside company to be oncall for emergencys.

Dedicated servers require dedicated time. Your site is on the smaller side, if you are not expecting any huge growth in numbers (+100) you can probally move to a VPS which is in the range of 40-75 a month.

Comment

• infexious
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Zachery
                Dual Opteron server with slightly less than 1TB of bandwidth? I pay almost 300 a month for a Dual Xeon with SCSI and 2GB of ram and 2TB of bandwidth, for a server that would be "better" than mine on most counts and even with half of the bandwidth, i doubt you'd be able to find such a server for that much a month, unless it was just for the hardware alone. Not to even mention management, I manage my own server, managed servers _start_ at around 500 a month for lowend servers. They can go upwards of 1000-2000 a month.
                you can get a $99 server and have it managed by serverwizards for another $99...

Comment

• encryption
                  • May 2005

ServerWizards charge $75 iirc... you can go even cheaper with platinumservermanagement (but they have had a mixed bags of reviews)

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                    • Feb 2003

A VPS account at A Small Orange (asmallorange.com) should be able to handle your site. The only problem is that they are sold out.

You might be able to run your site on one of their shared hosting plans though. It is cheaper and I recall that in the past they had some customers with 100 concurrent users on their shared hosting plans (this was before their VPS plans came out). I am not sure about now but their shared servers are pretty powerful so they should let you have 60 concurrent users online.

Comment

• littlewilson
                      • Feb 2006

60 was just my guess for average concurrent users, and it might actually be more like 70. The largest number of concurrent users we've had so far has been 97, so I'd want something that can easily handle that and give some leeway for future usage. Still don't have the data on post numbers, but it's a very heavily posted site.

Can I really feel secure in running without issues on a VPS account?

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                        • Feb 2003

The last I checked A Small Orange allowed up to 100 concurrent users on shared accounts and compensated by putting less people on a server but I do not know if their policies have changed as I am one of their oldest customers. I would suggest asking them that question on their forums:

Comment

• KingSpade
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.5.x

At 97-100 users online, you're past shared hosting to be honest. Shared hosting normally peaks around 40-60 users, anything over that is VPS and Dedicated.

Comment

• bulbasnore
                            • Dec 2004

So, our site gets about 600 folks on the forum a day.

Right now 48 members & 20 guests. I'm guessing thats average for the 'waking hours' of North America. We're using a couple CMS systems AND a gallery.

The board is always responsive, but I get the feeling our host sees us as an issue. We have frequent mysql reboots (4-5x a week) judging by the db errors we get notified about, and he did a snap (no notice) move that put us on a new IP, ran us over quota, dropped 900 posts and generally left most members unable to access for a while. So, I'm looking for a new host; should it be dedicated? is 512RAM from a VPS OK?

Comment

• encryption
                              • May 2005

what are the highest number of users you get during peak times ? (including registered and guests)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...