Looking for a new host.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • encryption
    • May 2005

Now that I disagree with you in entirety because I personally was quoted extra by ThePlanet for Windows based servers last year. So you are incorrect in saying "its how stuff work for the most part" because it isn't.

On a ratio, the number of DCs charging extra for Windows Licenses do outweigh those who merge costs like this. Its an old marketing trick that looks like its caught on in the Webhosting world because I personally wasn't aware of it till today.

Like you, I'm not trying to argue, just trying to get to the bottom of your certain conviction about me being wrong because I personally have no qualms in admitting if my source of information is incorrect. I may have mistated what I meant to say but I'm certain my corrected statement leaves little room for misrepresentation or being wrong for that matter.

As for me paying for the cup that holds the lemonaide seperately, if you're asking me if I pay extra for my OS License.... I was in the past when I had a Windows 2003 server. I don't anymore cause I'm only running Fedora Core servers.
    Last edited by encryption; Wed 22 Feb '06, 12:18pm.
    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• w4lh
      • Mar 2003
      • 3.5.x

After going through many hosting companies, I finally found HostGator:
      Below are just a few reasons I recommend them:

Affordable
      Reliable
      Fast Servers and Internet Connection
      vBulletin Friendly
      Great Support
      Easy Expansion
      Reseller or dedicated plans available
      They include server management and a control panel on dedicated servers!!

They offer several reseller packages that will offer you the best flexibility for your needs even if you only want to manage 1 domain/forum. Moving up or down to a different package is painless.

The servers are blazing fast and their support can be reached by support ticket or toll free number.

They are very vBulletin friendly, other hosting services sometimes skirt a problem that is actually a server related problem and refer you back to vBulletin. I had a recent problem with my previous host regarding ImageMagick and their only solution was to tell me to use GD.
      HostGator had a similar problem even though they had the latest version of ImageMagick installed, they found the problem and notified me when it was fixed the same day.

On a second occasion I was looking for a reliable solution to back up and restore the MySql database. I found a solution from Navicat and after installing it discovered I had a problem connecting to MySql.

I summited a ticket to HostGator and they replied with the message:
      In order to connect to MySQL remotely you'll need to add a wildcard to the Access Hosts: %
      Otherwise it limits the connection to localhost only, even though the port is open. I've granted access to remote IPs so you should be able to connect now.
      Now after testing the backup/restore software for MySql I feel assured that my vBulletin Forum database can be restored on a shared hosting plan where I don't have SSH/Shell access.

I really cannot say enough as to how great these folks are with respect to performance, support, 100 percent reliable and pricing. My vBulletin Forum has never performed better. After a very bad instance recently, my previous hosting company screwed up restoring my database that they insisted on doing, stating it was a security problem. I lost the database and thus the forum, members, messages etc...

However if you want to check out the speed of where my new forum lives now you can find it HERE on HostGator

Best Regards
      Last edited by w4lh; Fri 24 Feb '06, 4:21am.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by simsim
        Are you expecting ASO (or any other host) to keep you on a shared server while your forum is being qualified for a VPS or dedicated server? I gave your forum a visit, it's extremely fast loading! I wonder why would you step away from a host you'd been describing as great!

As what encryption has said: you need to switch to your own server.
        Maybe he could get a VPS plan at A Small Orange or maybe he could inquire about whether or not they would let him stay if he upgraded to a larger hosting plan:

Tim got rid of it because people were abusing it, but I think he will let you have it if you ask. The only question is whether or not he will let you stay if you get it. I am a bit surprised at this as he used to let you have up to 100 simultaneous people online but apparently they changed their policies after the last I checked (which was a really long time ago).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...