• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael_Tree
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.5.x

Hosting Suggestions Requested

Greetings,

I am looking for a new host for my forum, with no more then 70 users on at the same time. Currently it has more then one thousand posts, and 200 members. I don't wantg to pay much.

Thank you.
  • simsim
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.6.x

Did you look at ASmallOrange?
    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• KingSpade
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.5.x

As it's been said around here before, once you hit the 50+ users online at once, you're really stepping away from Shared Hosting. With that, the price you're going to have to pay will depend on how many users you will always have online. Small spikes count, but go with what you generally have online at any given time.

If you're member count is above 40-50 members most of the day, shared hosting probably isn't for you and you should start looking at VPS. If your online member count is between 1 and 30-40, then you should be within shared hosting though it would depend on the host.

Try checking out Eleven2.com or ASO.

Comment

• echo_unlimited
        • Jan 2006

Hm, well I have seen forums that have over 100+ members online and they are on a shared server

Take an example like: http://IFSZ.net

It may be another forum software, but it shows you a shared server is ok to run on. =/

Comment

• Joshs
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by echo_unlimited
          Hm, well I have seen forums that have over 100+ members online and they are on a shared server

It may be another forum software, but it shows you a shared server is ok to run on. =/
          Depends on many factors. A typical vBulletin with 100+ members online with the default cookie timeout means it is time for a dedicated solution.

Comment

• encryption
            • May 2005

Originally posted by echo_unlimited

That does not mean ANYTHING to be honest..... if there are 100 websites being hosted on that webserver out of which are 99 are plain html sites and this is the only forum on that server, then yes it is possible to run a fairly busy forum on a shared environment / server which is a dual xeon with 2 gig ram and a SCSI setup.

Not to mention if the owners of the hosting company and that forum are buddies, then yes he more than likely hooked him up with a deal on a server that had almost no traffic. So don't take a one off example like that..... there could well be a lot of factors that none of us are aware about.

Unless you find someone who can host you on a shared environment / server that doesn't have too many clients or clients who are hosting NON CPU hungry sites and if you are aware of the specs of the server, I'd recommend you take your chances on a semi-dedicated / dedicated server if you are really looking for a dependable option.
            www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
            www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• echo_unlimited
              • Jan 2006

Do you think I could ask the host owner to tranferr me to another server everytime that server got busy? like tranfer me to another server that was less busy.

Comment

• encryption
                • May 2005

You could even ask him to host you for free, doesn't mean he'll consider it. You're asking him to do "work" for you so you can save money ? VERY rarely will you find a host so dedicated to his company who'll be willing to let you have your way everytime

Comment

• echo_unlimited
                  • Jan 2006

Well you never know, remember I am paying him money, also it might overload his servers, either forcing him to move me to a less busy server or suspending me. @_@

Comment

• encryption
                    • May 2005

Dont get confused by the term "less busy". A less busy server could have 20 websites on there.... but if they are all running CPU hungry forums, it would still mean a more "loaded" server than 1 that is hosting 300 HTML sites only.

A "less busy" server will also be the one with more expensive plans tied to it since the revenue stream on that server to break even is confined to a fewer accounts.

And no dont assume that your webhost will move you to a "less busy" server out of a lack of options. Your webhost will ALWAYS have options including one where if you dont see eye to eye, he will tell you to move (I've been there).

Moreover, he wont move you to any other server for free and neither will your rates stay the same if that happens (which will more than likely go up). In either case, your account will be temporarily suspended until you make a decision.

Not to mention, if he is an angel in the webhosting community and does offer to move your site from one server to another, the downtime you will constantly face till nameservers update with every move.

Pay more, get a decent account and rid yourself of hosting headaches.
                    Last edited by encryption; Wed 15 Feb '06, 3:31am.

Comment

• echo_unlimited
                      • Jan 2006

=/

I wouldn't mind paying just to move to another server, just a one time payment I guess, but his hosting has never gone down, IL give freosta a try, and if I do not like it, I will move to another host, thats if I can find a cheap host =/

That one small orange thingy host looks good, and 'cheap', if I do not like freosta, then I shall go with that orange hosting company, hopefully ends will meet, and freosta 'might' be good. You never know until you give it a try.

Also freosta has unlimited MySQL Databases, does that mean unlimited MyQSL connections aswell.
                      Last edited by echo_unlimited; Wed 15 Feb '06, 12:58pm.

Comment

• Cromulent
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 3.8.x

It is technically impossible to allow unlimited MySQL connections. Even if you had the best server ever made it can still only cope with a finite number of connections before it crashes and burns. The same goes for anything else that a host says is unlimited, while they may say you can use as much as you want in reality there is only a limited amount of hard disk space / RAM / CPU or bandwidth available and once it is gone its gone.

Comment

• echo_unlimited
                          • Jan 2006

Umm, well ok then, but does MyQSL databases mean the same as MyQSL connections?

Comment

• Cromulent
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 3.8.x

No, the number of databases means well the number of databases you can have. The number of connections is the number of connections you are allowed to those databases at the same time.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...