Which dedicated server company shud i choose?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XtAzY
    • Jan 2005

Which dedicated server company shud i choose?

im looking for a dedicated server since dreamhost is ticking my mind.... On my boards only get 50 or less users per day. Not alot of peeps post in my board since in only get avg 300 posts per every 12 hours, while we sometimes chat in irc. So i guess i dunt really need a fast cpu or too much ram i think (if im wrong correct me XD). Althought i need alot of space and bandwidth though while my budget goes from $60-90 =[...

Any suggestions will be nice.
  • encryption
    • May 2005

you looking for a managed or unmanaged server ? You can start your search at webhostingtalk.com
    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• XtAzY
      • Jan 2005

ok i probably gonna go unmanaged using Gentoo as my OS. i checked over there and i think i have a server in mind, but i dunno which specs to choose

should i choose a server that has:

1 x Celeron 3066 Mhz, 1024 MB Ram, 160 GB HDD
      or
      1 x Intel P4 2.4 GHz, 512 MB, 300 GB HDD

i have an average of 50 users online will like 500 posts per day. Im not sure how ram and cpu may have a factor for forums so im not sure which server spec to choose

Comment

• Symen_4ab
        • Jun 2002
        • 3.0.0 Gamma

One thing you can be sure of is that if you need more ram at one time, it will not be really hard to do the upgrade.
        For cpu power, that's different..

I so would recommend cpu power, p4, so.

I just changed from an "old" celeron 1.7ghz to a p4 2.8ghz as my hosting machine, by the way
        Syntax errors in my post ? Well, I'm a french-speaking Swiss user..

Comment

• KingSpade
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.5.x

You'll see better performance out of the P4 than you will the celeron, although I'd try to get the ram kicked up to 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB.

Comment

• XtAzY
            • Jan 2005

thanks for tips =] but apprently the server the p4 server is sold =[... but do u still think the 3.06ghz celeron proc can still manage to survive the tiny loads? again most peeps who enters my site just browse around and posting a few.... im not hosting like 2 or more websites or sumthing, just one

Comment

• KingSpade
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.5.x

Celerons are not horrible as starters, but they're not anything I would use for development or planned growth.

Comment

• encryption
                • May 2005

Do a search on WebHostingTalk for Dependable Datacenters. That's the best way to pick up a good dedicated server. You might pay a little higher but you'll get premium bandwidth and good response times

Comment

• KingSpade
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.5.x

800Hosting.com is reliable, I've used them. Among others, I'd reccomend PriorityColo, however. The prices are a bit higher than most, but Myles is an great person to work with and had I the need for a whole server myself, I'd be right there with him.

Comment

• encryption
                    • May 2005

I've been with Superb for over a year now and can say NOTHING but good things about them. Please PM me for info if you sign up with them. I know a few good people there who will be able to cut you some specials.

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                      • Oct 2002
                      • 3.7.x

I am thinking of signing up with Liquidweb. They allow a monthly billing cycle which means I could sign up for a month to test things out. I hear good things about them and I know of at least one large vB forum (7,000 members +) that uses them.

Another option is ASmallOrange (ASO). I currently have a shared plan with them and the customer service is excellent, it's just that by a price comparison Liquidweb offer a fully managed solution and are less expensive. Performance on ASO shared is not as good as it was when I was smaller, but in fairness I am at the limit (some might consier over) of what performance one could reasonably expect from a Shared Server. ASO are excellent.
                      John

Comment

• Joshs
                        • Jan 2001

$60-90 is not that great of a budget for a dedicated.

Anyways, I recommend that you take a look at The Planet or ServerMatrix.

Comment

• FlyBoy73
                          • May 2002

Check out www.DedicatedNow.com . They also offer management solutions in-house if needed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...