X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elvis_is_dead
    • Oct 2005

upgradable host?

I'm looking for a good vBulletin host.

The site is a new client for me, who is currently running a Yahoo forum, which currently has about 200 members. This time of the year is when the forum hits a lull; it picks up in the spring and summer.

There are many great recommendations on other threads, but I haven't been able to find any discussions on which hosts are great at moving a forum from a shared server to a dedicated server. It seems that many users have had to make such a move, but no one talks about upgrading on the same host.

thanks,
    da
  • KingSpade
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.5.x

Are you looking for a dedicated server now, or a shared hosting environment? If dedicated, DedicatedNow.com, PriorityColo.com, 800Hosting.com just to name a few. Used them all, though 100% complete satisfaction with PriorityColo .

If you are looking for a shared hosting package, Eleven2.com, Fuse9.com, ASmallOrange.com.

Comment

• encryption
      • May 2005

To move from a shared to a dedicated environment, you will need root passwords to both servers. If you plan to stay with the same webhosting company and upgrade your account from a shared to a dedicated environment, your webhosting company should be able to do it for you (typically) free of charge.

If you are doing it across different webhosting companies, thats your Hurdle #1 i.e. your old webhosting company might not be as compromising in giving you root password to their server to help you migrate your account from their shared server to a new / different company / server.

In this case, you will need to manually move your forum and the database over and you will lose all stats + emails + email accounts + ftp accounts etc. Also if your new server is not managed, your new webhosting company might not be as interested in helping you moving things over and setting it up for you either. So setting up your new DB etc will be your Hurdle #2.
      www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
      www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
        • Feb 2003

Take a look at asmallorange.com. I am hosted with them and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Comment

• balikci
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.5.x

another vote from me to ASO. they are great, uptime, support etc. everything is fine.

also, special thanks to Lizard King (this forum member) for recommended me ASO.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...